XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smell Scavenger Hunt!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Smell Scavenger Hunt!

Okay, so I recently took delivery of an 05 XKR and I've discovered a bit of a burning smell which comes through the air vents, but isn't as strong when you're outside the car (e.g. in a garage). I've a friend who has the same car and he has a few ideas (loose bolts on the valve covers, belt rub, potential coolant leak) but I wanted to see if anyone had some ideas here before I take it in and pay someone to investigate.

The smell itself varies in "intensity" from a burned clutch to burning electrical/rubber. It also gives off heavy fumes, which makes for fun driving in Seattle rain.

The car was garaged it's entire life, and the previous owner and person who inspected it both say that this is a new issue. It was transported over on a truck, so is it possible that this could occur by in-transit damage?

Has anybody ever encountered this before, or have an idea of where I can start?

Old 01-29-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Coolant leaks will give a very unpleasant sweet smell from the coolant cooking, Rubber belts if hot enough to give off and odor are going to make some kind of noise. The winner is?
My first look would be at the back of the Cam Covers. Oil dripping there will go directly to the hot exhaust. You should, with a mirror and light, see some trailing down the cylinder head. I would start looking there.

The following users liked this post:
ShiftDriftDream (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Coolant leaks will give a very unpleasant sweet smell from the coolant cooking, Rubber belts if hot enough to give off and odor are going to make some kind of noise. The winner is?
It had the sweet scent of coolant but the noxious fumes from burning oil -- my brain may have confused one for the other as it became less about the smell and more about the acridity of what was coming through the vents. I've never smelled coolant burning, so if it gives off some heady, thick fumes, that could be our winner. There's no leaks, but it's possible it's in one of the hoses, versus when the car's at rest. Thanks!

Last edited by ShiftDriftDream; 01-29-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Hmmm, usually coolant... burning rubber... burning oil.... electrical burn smells are quite distinguishable. Maybe its a combination of more than one. Cam Cover gaskets have always been a common issue, along with coolant leaks.

Maybe something was driven over and is now touching the exhaust ( plastic bag from grocery store ).

Sounds like its more in the engine bay, as this is where the pollen filter sits and will be sucking air in if A/C is set for outside air. Have you tried starting it till it starts to smell, then open the bonnet to see if you can see any smoke or anything, or try to trace the smell?

The following users liked this post:
ShiftDriftDream (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
Sounds like its more in the engine bay, as this is where the pollen filter sits and will be sucking air in if A/C is set for outside air. Have you tried starting it till it starts to smell, then open the bonnet to see if you can see any smoke or anything, or try to trace the smell?
Not yet, though that's a good idea to localize the issue. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM

Update! I ultimately gave up and took it in for a professional inspection and to get the Cat on a lift. Turns out the entire car has corrosion underneath, including the engine pulleys. Since I bought this car from the east coast, it's to be expected, but I'm very disappointed that the seller (a forum member) didn't disclose this.

The upside is that the smell is almost entirely gone. I've only run the new belts for about 15 miles or so, thusly I assume they still need to be "broken in." But the good news is that is getting rid of things for now. The bad news, obviously is the corrosion, especially on some parts of the car which are high pressure fluid lines (steering, transmission coolant, and brake).