XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So THIS is being a JAG owner :-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default So THIS is being a JAG owner :-)

OK... since I hope to finally be getting my 02 XK8 Conv BEFORE I make my first payment...

Found this 02 80 miles from me in Marin - closest one, the next closest was over 350 miles away.

93,000 on it and thousand$$ BELOW national average, in fact, the least expensive one advertised... (let's just say under $8K!) So I figured if I needed a few things I was at least $2-3K still under what it should have cost...

Got in the car, fired it up and immediately got the belt whine... Having read a few things here first, I knew to ask right away about the Chain and tensioners... be they primary or secondary...

Pushed the SPORT button down and it fell thru the bottom of the console... plastic gave way I guess...

Opened the glove box and handle and latch (plastic) breaks...

There's a bolt in the almost new tires....

So we begin discussing the car and the price and what needs doing (usually these are AS IS sales... buy it, drive off and leave us alone) except we HEARD the belts whining.... and the knob/glove box should not
come apart in one's hands...

So... the owner comes over and says, "before you leave let me at least replace the tire..." which they do...

We write up a DUE notice which includes the Sport button, glove box and engine tensioners... we get the new tire, order the parts and I drive off...

On the drive the ABS light goes on, as does the Engine light. So now I'm concerned and arrange to drop it back at this independent dealer (California Motors in San Rafael Used Cars San Rafael | Used Car Dealer San Rafael | California Motors). The other parts arrive and as they check the codes they found the ABS Control Unit is shot - they find me a rebuilt one and replace for FREE. They had thought the external belts/tensioners were the caue of the whine, so they replace those...

Yet the Engine light and Codes are telling them that the Chain and loose tensioners are probably the cause... as well as a few other little nits the mechanic tells me they will take care of, also for free...

I call them and mention that since the care is opened up for them, could they go ahead and replace all fluids and do a complete oil change to save me the time and trip... I will gladly pay for it.

They say NO, for the inconveience (they loaned me an ES300 while I'm waiting, again as a courtesy), THEY will take care of the fluids and oil change for FREE.

So now we are waiting for confirmation on these codes and problems... They finally mentioned that the Timing Chain replacement is not really an AS IS job... I say I agree... but that if they could go ahead and do it, maybe we can work something out regarding the payment for the work and parts... (as I know this is a $3000+ job potentially... sorry, not a DIYer at this level... and they will be incurring a much lower expense.. I ask for a quote)

So here we are... CA Motors has been AMAZING... I know many of you enjoy the finer things in life and may be looking for exotics - I can't recommend these guys enough... GREAT assortment of cars and amazing to work with... as you can see.

I've driven the car a total of 100 miles and have my first payment on 2/2... hope I get to drive it again before that, yet since they've been so helpful I am being very patient...

With these new pieces and parts... I KNOW I have a much more valuable vehicle... My first job is to Scruff up the seats and re-dye them so remove some of the years of wear. Then I will remove and fix the ashtray lid.

Staying away from the bluetooth upgrades for now as then I'll just have to turn the phone off when driving and NOT be interrupted.

MOST of my music is on disc (diehard deadhead) so the mp3 connection can be as simple as the cassette adapter when needed.

At this point I just want to drive it ... I live 10 mins from work so it will see limited miles except for the long weekend excursions now that the weather in Sacto is so wonderful...

Here's the car itself on the lot.... will post photos again once in my possession...

And thanks to all for the great info and suggestions... Feels great to be a proud Jag owner... now just want to feel what it's like to be a proud Jag DRIVER....

Attached Thumbnails So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-my-jag.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
jjd247247 (02-15-2015)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the club and I hope your ownership experience is as pleasant as the purchase experience!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

I hope you get to drive her soon.
Hat's off to the dealer for looking after you

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,789 Likes on 12,163 Posts

OK, I fell for it and followed your link to CALIFORNIA MOTORS. Now you're going to tell me the Blonde came with the XK8:

So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-california-motors.jpg

Great dealer service. Enjoy the car.

Graham

cohibarandy (01-26-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Default Wasn't trying to "trap" anyone... lol

Just thought they deserved a shout out for all the great work and care they've taken...

The blonde is all up to you buddy...

, tho...

Old 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
OK, I fell for it and followed your link to CALIFORNIA MOTORS. Now you're going to tell me the Blonde came with the XK8:

Attachment 31001

Great dealer service. Enjoy the car.

Graham
I'm told that Blondes come all the time with an XK8...

(couldn't resist)

Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

congrats on the purchase.

as i was reading along, i noticed there were too many things they were doing for free...i started to get worried that things were going to turn sour towards the end...but im glad to see that they you had a great experience.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Welcome to World of Jaguar, Hope you get your cat soon. It's nice to hear about a dealer that treats the customer right, Being in business for over forty years, the one philosophy I've stuck with is "The Customer is always right." And it has paid off.
Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default WELCOME to the greatest car forum in the world!

We are all glad you are on our forum and belong now to the active driver of a JAG group. We all smile as we gaze at our treasures. You will find about the blonde that while she doesn't come with the car (Sorry about that, Graham!) many others will want a ride, as the female eyes are just as fond of JAGS as we are, and I've found my '05 XKR 'vert is a virtual babe magnet, much to the chagrine of my son the BMW euroslut, who is green with envy at the female attention we get in mine compared to ho-hum from his M-3. Let us know when she is running like a top, and pleasant driving. Stay on the forum- they have saved me thousands in repairs and I can barely turn a screwdriver!

9mileskid (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Much appreciated Arland.... The ideas alone from this place keep my head spinning and I don't know that I've come across a more helpful, INTERESTED, and friendly group...

I don't think the dealer realized what was needed... they are doing the Chain and tensioners as well as addressing any and all codes... and all for a very generous price (about 1/5 the cost from a dealer)

With regards to the Jag being a babe magnet.....

35 years ago I was at my girlfriend's sweet sixteen
33 years ago we went to the prom
30 years ago she disappeared from my life and took a different path
......Then came Facebook
and after 28 years, my sweet sixteen and prom date and I got back
together... and in August '12 we were married.

She'll be the hot babe in my Jag... and couldn't be any more excited about it that I am.... we've got 28 years to make up...

and we could think of nothing finer than seeing the US in our XK8 droptop.

I added her to the side of the car for my wallpaper...
Cheers
DJ

Originally Posted by Arland Green
We are all glad you are on our forum and belong now to the active driver of a JAG group. We all smile as we gaze at our treasures. You will find about the blonde that while she doesn't come with the car (Sorry about that, Graham!) many others will want a ride, as the female eyes are just as fond of JAGS as we are, and I've found my '05 XKR 'vert is a virtual babe magnet, much to the chagrine of my son the BMW euroslut, who is green with envy at the female attention we get in mine compared to ho-hum from his M-3. Let us know when she is running like a top, and pleasant driving. Stay on the forum- they have saved me thousands in repairs and I can barely turn a screwdriver!

Attached Thumbnails So THIS is being a JAG owner  :-)-gf-jag.jpg  
JimC64 (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

What a great story so far 9miles........looking forward to more and especially as you get somewhere near the end with the fixes required and really start to enjoy the experience more.

Anything we can do to help, we're here for you

9mileskid (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

It is indeed refreshing to hear such a great dealership story. You are in rarified air, my friend. Enjoy it, and enjoy the car once everything is sorted....

As others have indicated, this forum is by far the most valuable tool in your toolbox to keep your XK8 well-maintained and running properly for a fraction of what you would fork over to a dealership or even an indy....

The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
9mileskid (01-23-2013), cohibarandy (01-26-2013), JimC64 (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM
Default Thanks all

Sadly I am not much of a mechanic, although there are some things I look forward to doing...

Taking apart the center console and replacing/fixing the lid on the ashtray
I pretty sure I can handle a cold air intake and filter
I need to find a tray for the left door storage compartment
Recondition the seats
Tighten all the nuts and bolts and inserts (HATE rattles)
Wash and wax it already....
A throatier note

The FOB I got didn't have any insides - yet there is something very cool and old school in walking up and using the key in the door.... and I will need an extra key.

What gets me is the amount of leather they put on those back seats, which will never get used... and skimping on important things like using all that plastic where stronger material would have been better....

So I need to ask... any recommendations for mechanics and/or electrical work in the Sacramento Area? The bluetooth/Parrot thing looks cool but would want it to work thru the stereo... same with access to the AUX function for an mp3 player - down the line -

right now I feel like a 16 year old who would take ANYTHING as long as it moves.... {sigh}

Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

No, don't go to a stereo dealer for any of the mods. They really won't know how to do it and they will break the tangs on the shift surround. Just plan on coming down to me in San Jose one Saturday and we can do the bluetooth. I think I have a spare setup.

Also I have done the following electrical mods: added seat heaters, aux input for iphone/ipod, back up camera, rear window up with top down, remote top operation, and the real temp gauge. Most from whitexkr website.

Last edited by stevepaa; 01-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by stevepaa:
9mileskid (01-23-2013), Jag69 (01-25-2013), JimC64 (01-23-2013), Norri (01-23-2013), WhiteXKR (01-25-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Grats! I hope you get all your issues sorted.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

If you are looking for good Indy service in Sacarmento I would recommend British Car Service (916-489-5361). I have my XK8 there now and am quite happy with how I have been treated. They like to let you know exactly what they are doing and how to save money.

9mileskid (01-23-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Default Getting oh so close

So....

My friends at CA Motors in Marin are in the process of replacing the chain, tensioners and related parts... I asked them to throw 'em in a box in the trunk so I can take and post photos of the original parts after 93,000.

VERY excited about all the new engine and brake parts.

It's expected back by superbowl weekend... due date of my first payment...

Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM
GGG
Received 16,789 Likes on 12,163 Posts

Originally Posted by 9mileskid
........... I asked them to throw 'em in a box in the trunk so I can take and post photos of the original parts after 93,000....
On the few occasions I have someone work on my cars, I ALWAYS ask them to keep the parts for inspection. Is seems to raise their commitment level.

Graham

9mileskid (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
No, don't go to a stereo dealer for any of the mods. They really won't know how to do it and they will break the tangs on the shift surround. Just plan on coming down to me in San Jose one Saturday and we can do the bluetooth. I think I have a spare setup.

Also I have done the following electrical mods: added seat heaters, aux input for iphone/ipod, back up camera, rear window up with top down, remote top operation, and the real temp gauge. Most from whitexkr website.
Steve,

Although I am not on the receiving end of that offer...that was awesome. One more example of the Forum being in a class by itself...like the cars.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Default Good news - bad news - good news

The continuing saga....

Spoke with CA Motors yesterday (they are supposed to be replacing the timing chain and related parts)...

Good News - the Chain and parts WERE replaced already

Bad News - they found a leak in the camshaft seals and gaskets that were affecting the spark plugs (page 15 of the Engine/Tranny intro - it was GREAT knowing what he was talking about, exactly... so thx again)

GOOD NEWS - if they had not tried replacing the Chain they would not have found the leak... and THEY ARE PAYING FOR THE FIX HERE TOO

I will be picking it up Saturday, after a month of them driving and fixing allthe little things that bothered THEM (said he found a leak dripping onto the exhaust that was causing a smell he didn't like - so he fixed it)

Have to say that having a mechanic drive your car for a few weeks with the desire to "make things right" with the purchase has been a Godsend...

All those little things that gnaw at a mechanic's sense of perfection have been addresses and I now feel that my XK is in seriously good shape on all fronts...

As soon as I have it again I will post photos... thanks again to all for the inspiration and good thoughts.

btw - check out the HISTORY OF THE XK I compiled and am posting in a new thread... VERY excited to be a JAG owner

Cheers
DJ

Quick Reply: So THIS is being a JAG owner :-)