XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for engine electrical connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, I am not in a position to start a parts business. But I assume there ARE some people, maybe even on this board, who do run small Jaguar side businesses. This might be a good opportunity for one of them to step up and offer these as a repair kit.

As I said above, there are basically two paths to go down; the original connector, or the Yazaki parts. Both have their positive, and negative aspects.

For the original connector, somone would have to order a batch of them (looks like 5000 or enough for just over 600 cars...) and they would probably be of the same quality as the originals, likely only lasting a few years at a time. On the plus side they should pop right on very quickly and easily. The source I found for them is here;

automotive seals connector DJ70280-2-20 - Detailed info for automotive seals connector DJ70280-2-20,automotive seals connector,automotive seals connector DJ70280-2-20,DJ70280-2-20 on Alibaba.com

The actual part number DJ70280-2-20 seems to pop up all over with the same picture on a web search, so may be a few sources, though they all look to be in China.

For the Yazaki parts, the part would also have to be sourced, but it might be easier to do so with Yazaki. The biggest downside is that these require you to change the actual metal terminals that go into the connector. This can be done, I did all of them on my car in a couple of hours. But its not easy if you aren't used to crimping on these type of terminals, and it does require a special crimping tool to do so. The biggest plus, aside from possibly being easier to get, are that they SHOULD outlast the rest of the car. This place seems to be a distributor for Yazaki;

SMD Inc.

I found the package I got my new terminals in, the part number on those looks like it is 7116-4103-02. Again that is just the Yazaki terminals, I don't have the connector part number because I just used the connectors from the junkyard. You will also need wire seals for the connector. The ones I was sent look like 7158-3031-40, but they are for a wire diameter that is a lot bigger than the Jaguar wiring.

(edit) I just found the connector P.N. 7283-8226-30 on the Yazaki site; YAZAKI Connectors Catalog

As far as the throttle body and other connectors, those MIGHT be a similar situation. There might be a better quality replacement out there, maybe even from Yazaki as well.

Last edited by Andy94SC; 12-04-2011 at 12:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Andy94SC:
aholbro1 (12-04-2011), WhiteXKR (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 11:53 AM
mdf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default coil pack connectors.

Thanks for the reply Andy. I'm currently driving around with the broken terminals pushed on the coil. I guess I'll be heading to the junk yard this week to tear into a few Chryslers.

I can't believe that these terminals are so impossible to find....

-MF

Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 PM

They are out there. It's just sort of an industrial market, they typically aren't sold in small quantities to the public.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Andy..than you for doing this extensive research. I requested a quote from the Chinese supplier...I will see if there is a possible business case given the cost and minimum order quantity.

(edit) I will also look into the Yazaki parts.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM

I hope it works out. The place I was going through never heard back from them...

Even though they aren't as high of quality as the Yazaki parts I used, I think those Chinese ones are probably the way to go for most people since they will be much easier to swap out.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

This company looks like they may stock and sell the YAZAKI connectors in small quantities and have on line ordering:
Welcome to Automotive Wiring Systems

Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I just realized I never posted the pics I said I would when I swapped mine out.

There all of the new Yazaki connectors are on except the loose one.

First use a pick to remove the terminals from the old connector.

Cut off the old terminals, and strip the wires. Make sure you don't cut off an more than necessary, you dont want them too short. Also make sure you put n new seals BEFORE crimping on the terminals.

New terminals properly crimped onto the wires and seals. Now just push the terminals into the Yazaki connectors and plug them in.

Attached Thumbnails Source for engine electrical connectors?-img_3065.jpg   Source for engine electrical connectors?-img_3068.jpg   Source for engine electrical connectors?-img_3072.jpg   Source for engine electrical connectors?-img_3075.jpg  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
mdf

I was able to zip tie the connectors on securely by threading them under and around the coil pack and then between the wire on the back of the connector.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I think you've limited yourself by searching for 'connector'. In automotive parlance you're actually looking for a 'pigtail'. You might try googling "automotive pigtail".

Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Beav
I think you've limited yourself by searching for 'connector'. In automotive parlance you're actually looking for a 'pigtail'. You might try googling "automotive pigtail".
No, the plastic part that disintegrates is the connector body.

A pigtail would be the connector completely assembled with short pieces of wire already attached. If such a thing existed would require splicing onto the Jaguar harness to use, similar to the parts I cut off the Chrysler engine harness from the junkyard.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Connectors

If ever I can't find the same electrical connectors anywhere, I cut them out and replace with any other type of plastic connectors I find.

All I need is a wire stripper and soldering iron. Easy. Why bother figuring out the exact Part Number and get ripped off anyway?

Cheap Plastic Connectors that I've used for my car as well as garage lighting:

Male Solder Plug, Plastic Circular Push-Pull Electrical Connectors

Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Plums?

Just discovered this one and read through it and from the posting trail, it looks like Andy put in considerable hours over a month's span of phone calls, web-research and sifting through scrap yards - all leading to a successful result in resolving his problem.

I'd rather say it is those of us propped up in bed or sitting at our warm, dry, climate-controlled desks benefitting from his hard work who could be said to have "lucked out."
Why so negative?

The original message was simply a confirmation that Yazaki was the right brand as listed in Jaguar documentation.

Most, if not all of the connectors are listed in the electrical diagrams by brand and colour. Usually there is a corresponding manufacturer part number. Knowing the brand makes searches much more likely to be successful.

++

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 AM
mdf

My coil connectors on the drivers side (port side) were all bad - the starboard side connectors were all good. Very strange I thought. In any case I used zip ties to remedy the problem. Threaded zip ties below coil pack, through the 2 wires and zipped together - see pic , this method works very well, is very secure and with a minimum of fuss.

Attached Thumbnails Source for engine electrical connectors?-img_0403.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
haroldleggett (03-20-2024)
Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

So I call my local Jaguar dealer's part's department and ask if I could purchase the electrical connector for the IMT and was told Jaguar does not sell individual connectors and that I would have to purchase a wiring harness for the whole vehicle. Frustration drove me to research and research drove me to Ford's Motorcraft line of parts.

Part number WPT-545 is the exact connector for the Jaguar S-Type IMT application I needed for.

As for other connector requirements, Motorcraft appears to be a good start as opposed to hitting the salvage yard.

The kit includes the plug with pigtails, shrink tubing and crimps for a clean and easy install. Part runs about $20 bucks....happy tooling