XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for engine electrical connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Source for engine electrical connectors?

I have a question regarding the electrical connector for the coil pack. In the picture, the little black connector with the red stripe that goes on the coil pack. Is there a source to buy just those connectors? On my car they have gotten very brittle, and started cracking. A few are so bad there isn't much left holding the terminals in place. I would also like to get a new connector for the MAF if I could find one since the lock for it is broken off and it doesn't seem very secure.

Does anyone know where to get these? The dealer said they thought they could only get them by buying a whole engine harness. Does anyone know who the supplier is of the connectors if nothing else? I may be able to track some down if I know who makes them.

Attached Thumbnails Source for engine electrical connectors?-coil-packs.jpg  

Last edited by H20boy; 05-18-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: blew up the pic, my eyes hurt squinting
Old 05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Do a visual inspection of the connector and see if you can find the company that manufactures it and maybe a part number. Check out a few electrical supplier sites to see if you can find a match. Mouser electronics carries a ton of connectors from various manufactures but without some kind on info you'll be searching forever. Allied electronics is another big supplyhouse for electronics. Those are the two main suppliers I use in building machinery.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Andy,

Looks to me like you have some oil in the spark plug chamber. If so, you may want to replace the gaskets and O-ring seals.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

be sure and let us know what you find. Ive been bitchen about this for years. I could do many quick repairs if Jagaur or someone supplied a connector kit

Old 05-18-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Andy,

Looks to me like you have some oil in the spark plug chamber. If so, you may want to replace the gaskets and O-ring seals.
I did have oil in the plug wells, and I did change all of the gaskets. But that picture I actually borrowed, it's not my car.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

When I run into this fault I just apply a dab of silicone sealant to the edge of the connector and plug it in. If there is a new connector available I will buy handfuls because I will need them over and over!!!

bob gauff

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM

Here is what I have found so far. The connector has no logo or manufacturer information on it. The only thing I see is that on one side is printed " B2 < 4 "

From the looks of the connector design I suspect it might be from Amp, but someone else said they thought it looked like Sumitomo. I also found that the same connector is used on my X-type for the cam phasor. I am hoping that if it is used there, Ford might also use it on other Duratec engines. That might mean it is still in production, and available from Ford.

I'll keep digging.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Looks like it is a Chinese manufacturer called IIIB or Ruian Aibang Electric Company.

So far I have only found 1 website carrying them, and they want a minimum order of 5000.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Start looking for distributors now, if you can. Maybe give them a call (off-peak hours though)

Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 PM

I found that the Ford Duratec does use a very similar connector. Its a slightly different style, but I think it will work. The connector off my XK8 plugged nicely into the Duratec engine of a 2010 Taurus. However the Ford dealer also says the connectors aren't available without buying the entire engine harness.

At least they are available somewhere since they still are in use. I'm sure I'll get some soon.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I got a random auto catalog from JEGS in the mail the other day and noticed they have electrical connectors and wips. You may give them a call. They will not need to match the ones you have but instead fit the Denso coil pack. I would attack it from the coil pack aspect because you know who makes the coil pack.

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD+Ignition/121/8183/10002/-1

If they do not have them they may be-able to direct you.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Try these guys as well. They may be a good source for several connectors. At least it appears that they will try to help you identify tyour parts thru a photo submission.

http://www.bmotorsports.com/

Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Thanks for those two links. Those might be a last resort, the Jegs / MSD parts look unreasonably expensive to me. I would expect the connectors to be closer to a buck each than $8.

I've got a couple of feelers out there. I'm pretty confident I can get some to take care of mine, but I'd like to find a source to help everyone out.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I really do wish you luck because this is the kind of stupid 50p (75c) part that fails needing the spending of a Kings Ransom to sort out. It's not just Jaguars either, most cars today have these things.

Somewhere in China.............!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:24 AM

I may have some success here. I just went to the local scrapyard, and I found that the 2.7L V6 that Chrysler uses in the 1998 - 2004 Dodge Intrepid, and Chrysler Concorde has a very similar coil on plug, and the connectors will plug into the Jaguar coils very nicely.

The downside is that they are not EXACTLY the same, meaning the Jaguar terminals will not simply go into these connectors correctly. You would need to change the terminals on the harness to use these connectors. I don't know where to get new terminals yet, but I am sure they are available. These look like the same parts I found on the 2010 Taurus VVT actuators, so they are still in use. I beleive they might be Yazaki parts.

The upside is that they are very easy to get. There are a LOT of these Chrysler / Mitsubishi engines in the scrapyards, at least around here. I got 12 connectors from 2 cars for $2, and they had about 10 more cars. Also the type of plastic seems to be a higher grade. The plastic isn't brittle and crumbly like the Jaguar parts, so I think they are made to withstand higher temperature or something.

It would be nice to find connectors that would use the same terminals, so it would be more plug and play. However until something else comes up, this might work, if I can find a source for new terminals and wire seals. I am going to send a couple to some contacts I have and see if they can be matched up.

Here is a picture of one of the connectors I cut off.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Chrysler2.7.pdf (26.4 KB, 291 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:39 PM

OK it is looking like there are two paths to go down for these coil connectors.

1. The OEM type connectors. These have the benefit would be the easiest to replace, and looking "correct." They would be thet exact replacements. The downsides for these are that, they are proving fairly difficult to get so far. Someone would have to purchase a minimum of 5,000 and it is soundling like there isn't really a retail source, they are intended to be sold to businesses. They don't seem to have the ability to handle payments from the public, they are looking for business account #s and such. Also I am not sure replacing the connectors with the same lower quality parts will be the best thing - they will likely just crumble apart again.

2. The new parts I have found are from Yazaki. These are the parts still used By Ford, and are the ones I got from the Chrysler 2.7L engines. These are more easy to get, worst case there are a lot in junkyards. If not I think there is a better chance of finding a supplier that will sell smaller quantities of the Yazaki connectors seals, and terminals. I think these connectors are more robust, and will last much longer. The downside is that the terminals must be changed on the wiring, and not everyone will have the tools and ability to change the terminals, so they will be a more difficult retrofit.

I plan to go route #2 on my vehicle. I have everything to do it now, and I think I'll try it this weekend and get some pictures.

I wanted to gauge everyone elses interest and thoughts. Should I continue to pursue a source for parts to help others out? Is there an overwhelming preference on which way to go?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 PM
mdf
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Denso coil pack connectors

Has anyone ever sorted this problem out.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 AM

I ended up getting a few terminals (just about enough to do my car) and using the connectors I got from one of those Chrysler engines on my 1998. Seeing as how this went a year and a half without a reply I assumed there wasn't a lot of interest, so once I got my car fixed I kind of dropped it.

If someone got a few spares of those, and were careful they MIGHT be able to reuse the terminals from the Chrysler connectors. If you didn't care how it looked you COULD just cut the connectors off the Chrysler harness with an inch or so of wire, and splice the wires on. Just make sure to use a good heat shrink tube to insulate because electrical tape wouldn't hold up long in an engine environment.

On my 2002 XKR the coils and connectors are a different style, and I haven't had a problem with them. At least not yet.

Last edited by Andy94SC; 12-04-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Well, you lucked out.

The electrical diagram says it is a "4 way, Yazaki, Black". No Yazaki p/n though.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Well, you lucked out.
Plums?

Just discovered this one and read through it and from the posting trail, it looks like Andy put in considerable hours over a month's span of phone calls, web-research and sifting through scrap yards - all leading to a successful result in resolving his problem.

I'd rather say it is those of us propped up in bed or sitting at our warm, dry, climate-controlled desks benefitting from his hard work who could be said to have "lucked out."

Now I just wish Andy would go out and buy an S-Type 3.0L and break the throttle motor connector on it...........

Quick Reply: Source for engine electrical connectors?