XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spacers discovered during shock mount replacements

Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Spacers discovered during shock mount replacements

I was having an clunking sound coming from the front end suspension and it was discovered that the bushings between the right shock mount had withered away. You can easily tell just by removing the black caps located under the hood just above each wheel well.

Well anyway, I ordered the part for $101 from partsgeek and they arrived in two days! Thats the cheapest I found them and they are not a replacement kit but the actual whole shock mount part new! Anyway - I got them installed at a local mechanic shop but was suprised when he informed me that he had found homemade Spacers underneathe the shock mounts which heighten the front end of the car. I wonder why the previous owner had these installed? Anyway - the end result is that the front end was lowered about 1 inch and a quarter. Here are the before and after photo. The top one is the before, (taken on the first day I got the car so it was night; sorry) and the after photo was taken today. I think that the front end lowered makes the car look a bit more sporty.. Just FYI for those of you guys considering it or perhaps have ran into the same thing..

Attached Thumbnails Spacers discovered during shock mount replacements-lowered-xk8.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The spacers were added probably to compensate for collapsed upper shock mounts, or perhaps to gain additional front-end ground clearance. Now that you have restored the front suspension geometry, be sure to have your front alignment checked as your toe setting is going to be off.

BTW, where in the Valley are you? I'm on the Island.

-John

Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by SPIJohn
The spacers were added probably to compensate for collapsed upper shock mounts, or perhaps to gain additional front-end ground clearance. Now that you have restored the front suspension geometry, be sure to have your front alignment checked as your toe setting is going to be off.

BTW, where in the Valley are you? I'm on the Island.

-John
Ya. I noticed that the car does veer just a tad to right now. Does wheel alignment have to be done with a Jaguar dealer? Ive heard that it requires a special tool. Hopefully I can find a shop here in Mcallen that is willing to do it at minimal cost. BTW - Im from Weslaco.....I just purchased my XK8 last month and I got to say its a fun car to drive!....

Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

No, the dealer does not have to do the alignment; no special tools are required. An independent Jag mechanic in Harlingen told me he has Pueblo Tire do them for him when the need arises. There are several stores out your way. BTW, a new Jag dealership just opened in San Juan, if you decide to go that route. Good luck!

-John

Old 05-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What does good vs bad look like for the upper shock mounts? I have the "clunk" and it could be this. I got the black caps off easy, and the orange foam (rubber) looks intact, though not fantastic condition. Does that mean it's OK?

I have lurked here for years, used this site 1,000 times to diagnose and fix things, but first time I have posted!

Thanks all. Steve

Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

If the shock mount material looks pinched around the donut hole and is flaking away, you need a new one. It may look "intact", which I assume means all there, but if it is deteriorating, it needs replacing.

Mine are on the to-do list for this year.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

"Pinched" and "deteriorating" are good descriptions. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Any idea what this should cost in labor? Mine are totally crumbling away.
Also, I don't seem to have caps covering mine, they're exposed. Could that cause a problem?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by philhef
Any idea what this should cost in labor? Mine are totally crumbling away.
Also, I don't seem to have caps covering mine, they're exposed. Could that cause a problem?
Mine were so bad that the metal was hitting metal when I'd go over bumps. The mechanic had a hard time taking off mine but in the end he only charged me $90.00.

As far as the caps go I seen alot members on this board that don't have the caps on. I don't think that it effects the wear & tear on the mounts. Jaguars are just notorious for shock mounts going bad. My next suspension repair will be the ball joint on the lower control arm. The bushings on those also go bad. Found them on eBay for $56.00. This however requires a press to took off the old ones.

Just for fyi - Firestone has a lifetime wheel alignment for $159.00 for those in need.