XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Upgrade Questions

Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Speaker Upgrade Questions

I have a 2000XKR Convertible that the door speakers are no longer functioning (initially when I bought it in Sept of 2015 they would cut in and out but now they seem to be out).

I also checked the woofers behind the seats in the rear and they are either blown or just plain terrible (muffled low end).

I would prefer to keep the original stereo and perhaps add an auxiliary input eventually in the amp but if the problem with the door speakers turns out to be either the Alpine amp or the radio that will probably send me in a different direction. I have researched the many threads on upgrading speakers and stereos in the forum.

My question is for those who have upgraded their door speakers they often suggest components. If you replaced the original 6 1/2 speaker with components did you:

a. Utilize the tweeter, woofer and crossover from the component set replacing the door and fascia speaker and the crossover(complete replacement)?
b. Utilize the tweeter, woofer from the component set but rely on the crossover built into the amp?
c. Not utilize the tweeter from the component set but install the woofer and crossover?
b. Not utilize the tweeter from the component set and use the crossover built into the amp and the original fascia speaker?

Same questions for the rear speaker except since by the original design these speakers were sub woofers and I see that some are replacing with components. Is that to abandon the idea that a 6 1/2 woofer isn't workable? How does this work when utilizing the original amp since these speakers will only receive low frequency signals?

Thanks for any guidance, I am trying to determine what has been done with respect to someone who is using the original amp. If I abandon that approach I realize that the sky is the limit.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
The following users liked this post:
halveb (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Eaglexkr you have taken the exact path I am on. I really appreciate your direction I did look at 17 pages based on a search of "Speakers" and don't recall reading your post but it addressed my question perfectly. I did get bleary eyed often so it was probably in my search and I just missed it. :-)

Old 12-10-2015, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

When the rear speakers on my 97 XK8 blew out I had them rebuilt at Orange County Speaker. Great quality, reasonable cost and everything stayed original

The following users liked this post:
halveb (12-10-2015)