XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Mode not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Sport Mode not working

The Sport mode transmission switch on a 1999 xk8 is not working.
After replacing with a new switch it is still not lighting up.

I am stumped.
Is there a fuse that may be blown? Should I unplug battery and remove and clean the connector for the TCM?
Car shifts normally. It has 29K miles on the clock.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Some people had issues with the linear switch on this
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rt-mode-84688/
Something to look at..

Old 12-16-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Autobahn kid
The Sport mode transmission switch on a 1999 xk8 is not working.
After replacing with a new switch it is still not lighting up.

I am stumped.
Is there a fuse that may be blown? Should I unplug battery and remove and clean the connector for the TCM?
Car shifts normally. It has 29K miles on the clock.
Still having this problem. I am stumped.
Replaces switch with several used ones. None light up.
What are the odds that 6 switches are burned out?
Not likely.
I pulled the transmission computer and replaced with another from a 99.
Same result.
Finally bit the bullet and purchased LNC9220AA from dealer $140. Ouch
And what happened?
Nothing still no go and P0793 malfunction mode switch.
I definetely need help with this one.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

is the mode working even though the light is not coming on?

Old 12-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Mercinary request

Not to be mercenary , but I need a new switch for my car. I know it isn't the same bezel, but I believe I can replace the switch because the tab has broken off and I cannot keep the switch down. Let me know a price. Thanks

Old 12-17-2015, 03:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Have you used a meter (DVOM) with the electrical circuits and worked through?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

A bit more info, Does the car appear to run OK? Does both auto and manual shifting work ok? I'd read this some time ago and will post it here for you, the 3 conditional conditions overide the 'sport' mode, if you have some issue with one of these it maybe preventing the mode you want. Just some things to think about, turn off traction control, check the cruise control is working ok etc.

Mode Switch This switch allows the driver to select one of two base shift maps; Normal and Sport modes, the switch being illuminated when Sport is selected.
Special Shift Programs These specific condition shift maps are available to enhance the operation of the vehicle under specific driving conditions. and are listed below in order of priority / title and operating condition.Traction: When traction intervention is activeHot mode: Extreme engine / transmission temperaturesGradient: Under specific speeds and loadsCruise: During cruise controlManual: Shift map when the LH side of the 'J gate' is used Three specific condition shift maps have a higher priority than the two base shift maps and will intervene when appropriate conditions prevail for traction, gradient or cruise.When traction control (engine or brake system derived) is operational the TCM will implement the traction map to maximise control of wheel slip.The gradient maps are intended to enhance vehicle drivability when towing or climbing a gradient. The TCM will implement the maps when increased driving resistance is detected and enhanced drivability, cooling and increased performance is appropriate.The cruise map is intended to minimize unwanted gearshifts and 'hunting' and is activated when cruising near to the set speed, or resuming.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

autobahnkid.
This is strictly a comment and is not meant to imply anything other then the comment.

When driving, if you expect there to be a noticeable change in the car when selecting the "Sport" button, rest assured there is not.

The only difference you will notice is in the engine RPM and transmission gear changing. From a standing position, you can control the gear shifting by holding you foot in the gas longer.

Example: say you have just left a red light and the transmission has shifted up to second gear. If you hold your foot in the gas a little longer the car will stay in that gear (for a pre-determined time) until you lift off the gas. It will then shift on up through the gears. I believe it will do that in all gears except first.

The long explanation is only because some folks seem to expect a noticeable change in the car when selecting the Sport button.

As for as the little light coming on, that's another story. But, that may only be the light, but the operation as to what the button does may be Ok.

Cheers

Old 12-17-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Chuck,
Yours is an interesting observation. In my 2002XKR, I have never been able to "feel" much if any of a difference in or out of Sport mode. In my 2010 XKR, the difference between Sport mode and regular drive is huge, more acceleration, much crisper shifts, much higher rpms between automatic shifts, more hankered down suspension.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder

Example: say you have just left a red light and the transmission has shifted up to second gear. If you hold your foot in the gas a little longer the car will stay in that gear (for a pre-determined time) until you lift off the gas. It will then shift on up through the gears. I believe it will do that in all gears except first.

Cheers
Most Cars won't use 1st gear if NOT in sports mode...
With 'Normal' selected the transmission will start off in 2 nd gear with kickdown to 1 st being available.'Sport' mode allows 1 st gear engagement from rest and modifies values in the TCM shift point calculations to provide higher upshift speeds and enhanced availability of downshifts

I notice the difference in shift RPM between the modes, it's obvious on the tach, and sport doesn't always mean bashing the petal to the floor, it may mean holding RPM through a sweeper for the run out.

I just think AK would like things to work as designed, he knows these cars and apparently is struggling to find a fix for this.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Jam---

I'm sure your right and I wish I could help, but the little light not coming on is beyond my knowledge.

Tberg---

Does your 2010 XKR have an air-ride suspension? Also, the "Modified" part of your car may explain lots.
With a standard set up, one would think that with the ability to change to a Sport mode, there would be a noticeable change in performance, but I guess not. It may be just a "Feel Good" mode, to let people think they really feel something. Who knows. Sort of like the standard Temp and Oil gages. Needle staying in the center makes the driver "Feel Good", regardless of what the values really are.

Cheers

Old 12-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

ZF 6-speed work shop manual:

The sport mode switch:
allows the driver to select or de-select the automatic transmission sport mode.
allows the automatic transmission to operate normally when the sport mode is selected, but under acceleration the gear shift points are extended to make full use of the engine's power reserves.
allows the driver to drive the vehicle in the "D" position with the full automatic transmission shift or manually shift gears in the "second, third, fourth and fifth" positions.
is illuminated when Sport mode is selected.
communicates with the TCM through the CAN network to show the sport mode switch status.
Adaptive Shift Strategies
The TCM of the six speed ZF automatic transmission incorporates adaptive strategies which improve the accessibility of the vehicle`s performance in driving conditions while maintaining a relaxed driving experience when cruising.
In "Sport" mode, accelerator pedal usage and cornering behaviour are monitored to assess driving style and road conditions. When an enthusiastic driving style or a demanding road is detected, 6th gear is inhibited and the lower gears are made slightly more accesssible in order to prevent unwanted "hunting" between gears. Conversely, when cruising conditions are detected, 6th gear is once again made available to maximise driving refinement and economy.
Under conditions of heavy braking, the transmission will perform one or more downshifts to improve response to a subsequent accelerator pedal application. Similarly if the accelerator pedal is released rapidly following hard acceleration, one or more upshifts are inhibited to increase engine braking and also improve subsequent response. To complement these features, when a corner is detected transmission upshifts are inhibited. This inhibition is also maintained for a short distance after the corner allowing the driver to achieve a smooth balance through the bend without unwanted shifting mid-corner.

The following 2 users liked this post by toaster:
Chuck Schexnayder (12-18-2015), JagNoir (12-18-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

With the switch out of the car, you should see a connection between Pin9 and 1 when toggling the button.

In the car there should be +12V on the White-Red. If not, then the LED won't light even if the mode is changing.

There should be a solid ground connection through the Black wire.

The Red-Purple and Red-Green wires should have a voltage on them when the key is on (comes from the transmission controller). Probably not 12 but something above 5.

Mine shows about 8V, which I always thought an odd choice, but it's British. Well German really I guess, since it's a ZF transmission.

The following users liked this post:
jamdmyers (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ccfulton

With the switch out of the car, you should see a connection between Pin9 and 1 when toggling the button.

In the car there should be +12V on the White-Red. If not, then the LED won't light even if the mode is changing.

There should be a solid ground connection through the Black wire.

The Red-Purple and Red-Green wires should have a voltage on them when the key is on (comes from the transmission controller). Probably not 12 but something above 5.

Mine shows about 8V, which I always thought an odd choice, but it's British. Well German really I guess, since it's a ZF transmission.
Wow thank you guys.
This is why I love this forum so much.
This topic had been rather obscure until now.
Now we all know what to check for.
Unfortunately for me I am going to have to wait until the New year to probe the car again.
Owner friend is out enjoying wonderfully cool and dry wearher here in South Florida.
I am off with son to Spain for Xmas.
I wish you all the best.
Juan

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default back lighting

Ccfulton's schematic only shows the red led. Does anyone have back lighting on these 2 switches (sport/cruise) connected to headlight dimmer switch? I've always wondered and I'm not sure we ever reached a firm answer about this. This lighting is on a different circuit so probably should not show in this schematic.tha

Old 12-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Neither the center console CC, sport of the steering wheel buttons have backlighting.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Both Cruise control and Sport buttons on the 'J Gate' are backlit - comes under 'dimmer controlled lighting' in the wiring diagram. But .......... don't think any of the steering wheel buttons are backlit whatever their function.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 12-22-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I was thinking about this thread today while cruising. Some asked about the difference in these 2 modes, i think i found the sweet spot (for my 1998 xk8 at least) that really shoes the difference. Try driving at a steady 40mph in normal mode then press the pedal down all the way. Now try it with sports on. Best example of the difference that i can remember. Oh yeah, watch the tach as you change from one to the other steady 40mph -200 rpm difference in my car

Thanks for the feedback on backlighting above. Guess it is just different answers for different years.

The following users liked this post:
johns427 (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

My sport mode light is always on and won't stay depressed so I finally wedged a small piece of matchbook cover in the gap and fixed it. Probably gets better mileage now. The car reacted exactly as Johnken noted.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

Just be safe this season, we would miss you if the unexpected happens.........

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 12-24-2015 at 12:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck Schexnayder:
DevonDavid (12-25-2015), sklimii (12-24-2015)