Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Spring Swap

Just got some lowering springs for the rear. Camber right now on the rear is good, inside the range by .28 on the left and .16 on the right. Will I need another alignment after installation, or does it not move that much?

How long should it take a competent shop to swap them out? I was considering trying this as a DIY project. Is it more or less involved than removing the front spring assembly? I can get the spring compressor from Advanced Auto.
Nothing like a little Chevy Engine Red in your Jaguar ...

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You should probably read about a poster on the Jag Lovers (Charles_3000) forum who did this same thing and might be some good info to research.

JagFORUM Logon

JagFORUM Logon

Just do a search for Charles_3000 and 'REAR CAMBER'

I sent him info and I did not follow his outcome all the way through.
I guess he sorted this out.

bob gauff

Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I did this about 2 months back, takes about 3 hours, can be done on the floor, you will need spring compressors.
The only issue you have is pushing the damper up to get the spring in, a bit of a 2 man job, and you will scrape all that nice new paint up

I am lowering another XK at the moment with a full polybush, this is easier as we have dropped the complete rear bed on the floor, no paint scraping then

The following users liked this post:
Skid Mark (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I did this about 2 months back, takes about 3 hours, can be done on the floor, you will need spring compressors.
The only issue you have is pushing the damper up to get the spring in, a bit of a 2 man job, and you will scrape all that nice new paint up

I am lowering another XK at the moment with a full polybush, this is easier as we have dropped the complete rear bed on the floor, no paint scraping then
Thanks, Tony. How much does it affect the camber? Would it need another rear alignment?

Old 01-17-2012, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member

Looking at your springs I would say you are planning on lowering about an 1", from my experience this does effect the camber but only marginally and does not require realignment, if you was to lower more than an inch I would advise it, however it is not a major job to do, you need to adjust the shims between the axel and diff flanges.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member

That's good news then. It's supposed to lower about 25-30mm, so it's right at 1in.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Indeed........ you should be fine

Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Skid,

I think you'll be quite happy with the change. I installed the Mina Gallery lowering springs in the rear several months ago, and it really improved the stance of my car. My 97 had a LOT of wheel well showing in the back, and the new springs evened things out and really made a difference. I had my springs installed by my local Indy tech, and did not need an alignment afterwards. Still straight as an arrow.

The next improvement I made to the rear, and one that made as big a visual difference as lowering the rear, was installing 20mm wheel spacers in the rear. I bought them from XKRacer...aluminum billet and very well made. Pushing the rear wheels out a bit, combined with the lowering springs, made a dramatic difference in stance. The car looks a little sleeker, a little meaner, with more purpose. Driving dynamics were unchanged.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Have changed my springs to Eibachs now a couple of weeks ago, although the front was perfect (contrary to the back) as after almost 200Kmiles the original springs where already a bit lowered by themselves, and the upper shock bushing was also 5mm more compressed (bought new ones though).

Have also done it myself on the garage floor with spring compressors, it’s doable. It was certainly worth it and the car is now level again ;-).

I know in the past Eibach provided shims also, and although maybe not necessary, I will check the camber this week and may adjust it pending on the values. I certainly don’t want to wear out the inside of the tires only, not so good for traction either.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Skid,

I think you'll be quite happy with the change. I installed the Mina Gallery lowering springs in the rear several months ago, and it really improved the stance of my car. My 97 had a LOT of wheel well showing in the back, and the new springs evened things out and really made a difference. I had my springs installed by my local Indy tech, and did not need an alignment afterwards. Still straight as an arrow.

The next improvement I made to the rear, and one that made as big a visual difference as lowering the rear, was installing 20mm wheel spacers in the rear. I bought them from XKRacer...aluminum billet and very well made. Pushing the rear wheels out a bit, combined with the lowering springs, made a dramatic difference in stance. The car looks a little sleeker, a little meaner, with more purpose. Driving dynamics were unchanged.
Thanks, Coupe, looking forward to getting them in. Those spacers, does the hub get replaced, or do they bolt on the present hub?

Originally Posted by avos
Have changed my springs to Eibachs now a couple of weeks ago, although the front was perfect (contrary to the back) as after almost 200Kmiles the original springs where already a bit lowered by themselves, and the upper shock bushing was also 5mm more compressed (bought new ones though).

Have also done it myself on the garage floor with spring compressors, it’s doable. It was certainly worth it and the car is now level again ;-).

I know in the past Eibach provided shims also, and although maybe not necessary, I will check the camber this week and may adjust it pending on the values. I certainly don’t want to wear out the inside of the tires only, not so good for traction either.
You definatly want to be inside the range on the alignment!
Is there a guide or DIY to replacing the springs? I've been looking but haven't found anything on it. I would need a step by step I'm sure.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Those spacers, does the hub get replaced, or do they bolt on the present hub?

No, nothing gets replaced and installation is as easy as bolting on a wheel. I attached a snap, see below. You simply bolt the spacer onto the hub as you would a wheel, same torque specs. For my particular wheels (Double-Fives), the nuts holding the spacer on fit neatly into pockets on the rear side of the wheel, so no machining needed.

XKRacer generally says that there is no degradation in handling UNLESS you're running 20-inch (or larger) wheels. But for my 18s, I can tell you there is no discernible change in handling, and I've had some training. I will say that wheel spacers are items that must be of the highest quality. I trust Tony (XKRacer) and his experience counts for a lot. So I went with his product.

Once you get that extra width in the back, you'll never want to do without it. Just like you'll never want that inch of rear spring height back.

Attached Thumbnails Spring Swap-9-11-2011-20-mm-spacer-installation-right-rear.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm, I wonder if they'll fit in my Hydras without machining. I'd hate to have to drill out metal around the bolt holes. I also run OEM Lamina 17in wheels on occasion.

I can see how if they developed a problem whilst driving it could be concerning. Did you set the parking brake when torquing the spacer bolts to keep the hub from spinning?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Hmmm, I wonder if they'll fit in my Hydras without machining. I'd hate to have to drill out metal around the bolt holes. I also run OEM Lamina 17in wheels on occasion.

I can see how if they developed a problem whilst driving it could be concerning. Did you set the parking brake when torquing the spacer bolts to keep the hub from spinning?

Tony (XKRacer) could answer the Hydra question for you. I wouldn't have wanted to machine them, either. Potential balance problems, etc.

My parking brake was a fourteen year old daughter, pressing the brake pedal while I tightened the bolts. Works every time.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Coupe
Tony (XKRacer) could answer the Hydra question for you. I wouldn't have wanted to machine them, either. Potential balance problems, etc.

My parking brake was a fourteen year old daughter, pressing the brake pedal while I tightened the bolts. Works every time.
Ah ha! I was pretty close then!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Have checked the camber, and would need to adjust both front and rear.

For the rear it was a tad more than -2 degrees, and as I aim for about -0.8 degree, I guess I need about 2.5mm extra shimm thickness, so hope this calculation is about right...

Old 01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Decided to take the car to the indy shop and have the springs swapped. They wound up demating the rear sub assembly to free the control arms and deload the springs that way to take them out. Said it took less time that way, so I guess I'll find out when the bill comes haha...

Anyway, here's a before shot:

And an after shot. Different wheels but the tire diameter is the same:

Full length before shot:

And full length after:

Turned out great, the balance of height between front and rear is perfect! Thanks to JagYour for recomending Adamesh! Only got the rear springs because the front was low enough already. Rides and handles great, no knocks or clunks.

Attached Thumbnails Spring Swap-posture-001.jpg   Spring Swap-sprung0-001.jpg  

Last edited by Skid Mark; 01-19-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
Have checked the camber, and would need to adjust both front and rear.

For the rear it was a tad more than -2 degrees, and as I aim for about -0.8 degree, I guess I need about 2.5mm extra shimm thickness, so hope this calculation is about right...
-2 degrees wow! Jag shows -1.25 as the rear camber limit. How much did the camber change from where it was before? Did it go from -0.8 to -2.0 just because you lowered it?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking very snug and well poised.Will be interesting to hear how you find the ride and handling after you have put it through its paces for a few weeks,

Al

Last edited by Alag; 01-19-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Ah yes...much better, Skid. Looks great. Well done.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Skid Mark,

Nice job... When your car will be parked outside (unless you have a really big garage !), could you please make a picture of it showing it in profile, really square ? I'm very much interested by doing the same mod on my car and btw I have the same wheels. Question though : do you have CATS suspensions ? I'm wondering if there's not a difference in spring and body height depending between CATS and non-CATS...

Thanks !

Quick Reply: Spring Swap