XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stability control

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stability control

Another frustration. I have been fighting a problem with my cd changer. Finally after taking apart several times and reading many procedures I got it fixed, for now anyway. My car is still sitting in the garage, Hasn't moved since I fixed the changer. I just started the car and I get stability control and abs problem. I did do allot of reading on this problem but my question is since the car has never had this problem before and it hasn't moved could there be anything back in the area of the cd changer where I was working that could have caused this problem. No one in my whole state seems to want to work on a jag so I am on my own for now. Also if I unhook the battery for a while will it possible clear the fault. Also if I unhook the battery when I hook it back up will I need a code for the radio. It's a 97 XK8. I am actually trying to get it ready to sell and every time something gets fixed something else breaks. Any help appreciated.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Well I just went out to drive my car and the fault is gone. I was under the impression that that fault couldn't clear itself and I hadn't unhooked the battery or anything else. Last thing last night it was there and now it's gone. PFM?? Crazy Jags.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Pork
Sometimes the wheel sensors get dirty they are easy to clean, The ABS Trac Control may appear intermittently. This is a routine I perform every year. Rev Sam has a video of how to clean them.
Hate to see you selling your car, but these cars are for enthusiast. They are high tech and I think Jaguar was more concerned about the new car buyers, who wouldn't be facing a lot of these problems in the cars later life. Knock on wood but my car really hasn't given me many problems besides the convertible hoses. I do all of my own wrenching, and the car is a weekend warrior. so If something goes wrong I can fix it at my own speed. Hope you get it squared away and get it sold.

Last edited by RCSign; 07-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM

I use to really like to work on cars but I am 61 and don't really enjoy it anymore. Mainly like to jump in and go. I will look for the video on cleaning sensors. Thanks RCSIGN

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Since the warning appeared by merely starting the car and not moving it I would suspect the brake light switch or ABS controller. Just stepping on the brake pedal could cause an intermittently bad switch to fault. The ABS controller checks itself constantly when the ignition is on, whether the car is moving or not. While I can theorize it being an intermittent fault my experience has been once the solder cracks it's a constant fail. Wheel sensors typically require the car to be in motion before setting a fault. There's a bit written on how to open the controller and resolder the motor leads on the circuit board - a little time consuming but easy repair if you have a few skills.

The following users liked this post:
porkenstein (07-19-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As quoted by Porkenstein
I use to really like to work on cars but I am 61 and don't really enjoy it anymore. Mainly like to jump in and go.
Pork
I was born in 1950 also, but not retired, still running my own business. I still like to find time to work on projects. Sometimes it's hard to find the time, at this age we just don't have the stamina as when we were in our twenties. I know where your coming from.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

+1 ^^ After playing mechanic all day (for the past 41 years) the last thing I look forward to doing is working on my own cars...