Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 GTE Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage 1 GTE Performance Chip

Hi All,
Just saw this item# 170969810888 on e-bay. It really looks and sounds like a good one. Anyone have any feedback on this I would appreciate it before I pull the trigger. Here is the link: Stage 1 GTE Performance Chip ECU Programmer for Jaguar XK8 1998 2002 | eBay
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I believe these types of cheapo chips to be mostly snake oil. Somewhat more useful are the programmer gizmos like those made by Hypertech or software that can be used with a laptop. Unfortunately, while programmers are readily available for many other makes I have not been able to find such a thing for Jaguars.

The Hypertech programmer that I used for my 1995 Corvette (which was more like $350) allowed for adjusting the shift points and firmness, turning on the radiator fans sooner, and replacing the stock fuel trim/advance with a presumably more aggressive program. I never really felt any seat-of-the-pants difference and those that dynoed their cars before and after programming did not find a significant difference. But I did like the fact that the engine ran considerably cooler by having the fans come on quicker and replacing the stock thermostat with a lower temp one (running temps dropped from 200+ down to about 180).

Doug

Old 06-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know about these chips yet. Most people here on the forums don't advise it but noone I know of admits to trying it. I just fixed my leaking thermostat housing and finally installed the plug n play version of the. VOLO VP12 PERFORMANCE CHIP. It takes 120 miles to fully reach its potential so Ill let u know if there is any difference. When I installed it yesterday I did feel like it responded better but Ill give u the full honest review after I've driven the 120 miles. Stay tuned ...

Old 06-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

On a vehicle that's already designed for performance, you'll get little to nothing from one of these chips or a programmer. Mostly gimmick.

The programmers and chips will usually give a nice boost to economy vehicles, but is kinda pointless... if you bought an economy vehicle, you're not gonna get great performance and your economy will go to ****.

If you want to change your shift points, press the Sport button on your center console.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had several vehicles that I put a stage 1 in mixed results but always improved my fuel economy. Some were a real performance boost and some were not. I'd do it just for the extra 2 to 4 additional MPG.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been driving my xk8 with the vp12 for about 500 miles now and there definitely is a difference with it on. The car runs way smoother. As for MPG, I really don't see much of a difference. I would think that a car ecu is like a computer in that when you update/flash the BIOS, it runs more efficient with the same hardware. This maybe the case here.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I've tried numerous chips and programmers on vehicles in the past. It's not that all of them didn't provide some benefit, it's just that factory programming seems far better optimized than anything I've personally tried. In every vehicle I've tried, I went back to factory settings. In trucks, shift points are usually too hard, in economy vehicles, the gas mileage would go to hell and daily driving shift points were too high.

Admittedly, I haven't tried a chip in a performance vehicle. In a performance vehicle, I'd sooner get my ECU reprogrammed than try to chip or flash.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

These types of things are typically garbage. Slap a 'Stage 1' type of name on it, mention some mysterio-amazing results that you might get, stick a price on it, and they've come up with a way to sell you a 25 cent resistor that might lean the fuel mixture by a minute amount.

Snake oil.

Unless it says exactly what it does, HOW, and backs it up with dyno results, it's worthless.

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I really have to wonder, what exactly can this device do via the OBD port?
Reprogramming the Denso ECU needs the chip pulled out in order to write to it.
I can't think of anything via the OBD port that will lean out fuel or advance timing.

Slightly more worrying, they also list one of these gizmo's for the S-Type from 2000-2008 and no mention of which engine type. There was 2.5 & 3.0 V6's (which changed in 2003), the 4.0 V8, then the 4.2 & the 4.2 S/C, all of which had different ECU's.

What does this thing do exactly?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I think the black box plug-in chips you see that are supposedly made for every car manufacturer and model under the sun are basically placebo. At best they are black boxes where you don't know what the chip is doing. Slightly better are the hand-held programmers but those are available for a limited number of cars. Next step up is software that you can install on a laptop and then plug into the car's data port but, again, affordable software is only available for a limited number of cars. Which leaves going to some specialty dyno shop or tuner.

The interesting thing is that I have come across the odd article in Jaguar World Monthly where they are discussing some first gen XKR, or the newer XKR or an XF (supercharged) and they talk about how an extra xx horsepower was coaxed out by some "simple software adjustment". If it is so simple to gain that extra horsepower I wonder why some simple specific chips or programmers are not readily available?

Doug

Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
These types of things are typically garbage. Slap a 'Stage 1' type of name on it, mention some mysterio-amazing results that you might get, stick a price on it, and they've come up with a way to sell you a 25 cent resistor that might lean the fuel mixture by a minute amount.

Snake oil.

Unless it says exactly what it does, HOW, and backs it up with dyno results, it's worthless.

I am not sure about that. Like I said I had mixed results and some online research helps a lot before you buy. Best chip I ever got was for my Dodge Ram 1500. The performance boost was noticeable 5 minutes after the install. The fuel economy went south on me but the performance was there.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Graham
Hi All,
Just saw this item# 170969810888 on e-bay. It really looks and sounds like a good one. Anyone have any feedback on this I would appreciate it before I pull the trigger. Here is the link: Stage 1 GTE Performance Chip ECU Programmer for Jaguar XK8 1998 2002 | eBay
Thanks,
Mike
Belo is what I found on hat Chip after some R&. Please note it does specifically say the the hip will only work if other performance tweaks are made. I am willing t bet those tweaks would give you the boost and not the chip

"
What is the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 Tuning? GTE Stage 1 Tuning is designed for the stock engine with very little modification. It requires the use of 89 or higher octane gasoline for best results. The Stage 1 tuning will work in conjunction with other modifications to increase performance (intake upgrades and exhaust upgrades) GTE Stage 2 Tuning is designed for the performance enthusiast. Premium unleaded gas is required in order to extract the maximum benefit from the new tuning. Other modifications including less restrictive exhaust, modified air intake, and 180 degree thermostat are recommended when using the Stage 2 to enjoy the full benefits of this more aggressive tuning. Although a new thermostat is recommended its not needed, unless you live in a warm climate area.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

As a general rule of thumb, unless the car is turbocharged, any chips you might find aren't going to be a good value or do anything worthwhile.

The turbo cars I've had in the past, however (03 Passat, 99 A4), benefitted massively from a quality performance chip (Wetterauer was my favorite) that made incredible results from the first key-turn and notable mileage improvements as well (when I wasn't goosing the throttle at least) with factory reliability for tens of thousands of miles. Turbodiesel vehicles also benefit from this kind of stuff greatly. But not really us.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, basically, everyone seems to think these "chips" are bunkum! So now I can maybe make some bux by designing some fancy ad material & put any ol' circuit board cluttered with resistors, capacitors & who knows what in a small black box with 2 wires in & out with alligator clips on the ends and peddle it as a magic performance enhancer for any ol' vehicle......? ;-) ...by the way, just clip the box onto an exhaust bolt and the other end on to any other bolt ----that ought to do it!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Use a magnet, no need for clips

Old 03-02-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

What I do not understand is ,

It seems everyone agrees these performance chips are worthless and are a total waste of money,
basically a total scam, RIGHT?

Then why does this forum allow these chip sellers to advertise and scam the members of this fine Jaguar forum?

It tends to lend some credibility and make people think they might be worthwhile!!

Happy Motoring...

Old 03-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I must admit I do not take much notice of the ads unless the vendor contributes to the forum.......

As to the chips, what most do is fool the MAF it is colder than it really is so the ECU adds more fuel, all this does is make your engine run rich and dirty up your cats, completely useless

Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

A very good friend of mine is a shift manager at the factory where mine & your engine was built, i suggested to him upgrades etc for my 4.2, the reply back was...it's a strong engine and will give you years of service providing you don't **** with it.
So enjoy what you have or sell it for something with a 6ltr+ engine in it.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by smithtrevor
A very good friend of mine is a shift manager at the factory where mine & your engine was built, i suggested to him upgrades etc for my 4.2, the reply back was...it's a strong engine and will give you years of service providing you don't **** with it.
I would like to think most will not listen to that statement..... The tuning business will go out of business overnight

I also know for a fact Jaguar detuned these engines to use in the original XKs as they thought they were too powerful for the average owner....... Always good to have a bit of elbow room I say

Old 03-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I would like to think most will not listen to that statement..... The tuning business will go out of business overnight

I also know for a fact Jaguar detuned these engines to use in the original XKs as they thought they were too powerful for the average owner....... Always good to have a bit of elbow room I say
Is that only valid for the R? Or is there a performance upgrade worth doing on an 8?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 GTE Performance Chip