XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issues resolved

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant see how this can work??? the spring mount that bolts up to the underside is doing the same thing, now if you made a tower brace out of this then I can say yes it will work.

On my car I can feal wonder under heavy braking, I was thinking of making a tower brace that ties the two together.

Sorry I dont see it...

Old 10-24-2018, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum since I've only had my 2002 XKR for 6 months. The vague steering feel was a problem on my car. I replaced the ball joints, sway bar links, tie rod ends, all new Powerflex bushings, eliminated the electronic shocks and replaced with Bilsteins. Shock mounts were in good shape so I reused those. Still had the vague steering feel. I decided I needed to stabilize the top of the shock in the mount. I happened upon some steel plates at Lowes. They are actually a door knob hole filler plate made by Gatehouse. #0253011. They are round and just fit in the shock tower hole where shock mount bolts are. I drilled out the hole in them to make a tight fit over the protruding threads of the shock above the nut. I then made sure everything was centered in the hole and spot welded the filler plate to the shock tower. Now the shock stays stable in the mount and the steering and handling have improved 1,000%. Now I don't have to depend on foam rubber in these design flawed upper mounts. About a $10 max fix, but really works well.
Sam

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

So you made it into a solid upper mount? That kind of defeats the purpose of having rubber there..

I'm sure it helps with turn-in, but at what cost?

I think it is a misconception that stabilizing the shock in our cars somehow improves the geometry of the front suspension. While it certainly helps in a McPherson system, it does zilch to ours. The same would be true of a tower brace as that also would produce no positive effect.

Urethane bushings, and higher front tire pressure (or lower profile tires) are the quickest routes to improved handling and loose fillings.

Last edited by mhminnich; 10-24-2018 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zray (10-27-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM

I won't disagree with you, but for me, the proof is in the drive. And it drives very well with precise steering. Thanks

Old 10-24-2018, 03:19 PM

Just one more thing about the XKR suspension. This system is basically a strut system. I have done many struts on BMWs and such. The top mount on a BMW is made of a very hard rubber compound to keep the shock from moving. I have installed coilover high performance struts in e46 BMWs and the top mount is totally solid made out of steel that keeps the top of the strut from moving. This was my rationale for stabilizing the top mount in my XKR. Thanks, Sam

Old 10-25-2018, 11:22 AM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Our front suspension is a double wishbone design mounted to an independent subframe. It is not a strut system. The coilover shock supports the weight of the vehicle and is not the upper control link for the suspension.

As far as your modification, I​​​​​​I don't doubt that your turn in feels sharper by eliminating the give from the upper mount.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Any deflection in the upper mount slightly changes ride height which also changes toe settings as it does. Which is also why when replacing collapsed upper mounts you need to align the car because you changed the ride height and toe settings.
Limiting movement can have a positive affect. And dealing with this since theyre new and under warranty this issue is normal for the car as designed and built. I dont like it either but this is not a worn suspension issue although this will make it much worse. So like anything else dealing with cars, if you dont like it modify it till youre happy.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
Certainly, here is the link.

Machining and Manufacturing | Sohacki Industries - Saint Augustine, Florida

They don't deal with the public much, so I had to create a po number and paid by check only, no credit card capability. PM me and I will provide contact info at the machine shop
Thanks Steve for all your work and sharing. I plan on trying this myself. Your right about local machine shops not taking credit or debit cars. i have one close to me that I have used a few times. Small, a bit pricey, and prefer cash or check.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:04 PM

I am wrong. I'm aware of the double wishbone account I've replaced all the bushings with Powerflex black urethane. I just replace the upper mounts with ones made from urethane instead of the stock foam factory style. I removed the plates locking the top of the shock in place. These new mounts made with urethane are really stable and the car drives great.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:43 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Sober,

Where did you purchase your urethane upper mount bushings from ?
many thanks for all your inputs !

kind regards,

max