XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Reach Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Steering Wheel Reach Problem

The problem I have is that the steering adjustment mechanism stopped working in the REACH function. The TILT function works fine, but when trying to adjust the reach I hear a ratcheting sound like a gear is slipping or something. How do I solve this failure..?? I posted this problem back in June but did not receive a solution so I thought I'd try again. The car is a 1997 XK8 Convertible.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2004 XKR Coupe. I've positioned the steering wheel in the full forward position and left it there. The failure doesn't bother me enough to take dra$tic action.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Geoff41,

The fact that you hear a ratchet sound is not good. That sounds to me like a stripped plastic extension mechanism (the motor turns but it can't grasp a tooth on the plastic cable).

1) Let's get confirmation that this is likely true.
2) If so, you can purchase replacement parts on ebay for a reasonable price. I've seen entire steering shaft mechanisms for less than 200 dollars. The installation will be a PIA but what can you do.

I was going to take another decision branch - what if the cable is OK? but I've seen so many posts from folks with the exact same issue you have that it is probably not worth it.

But: In the spirit of being positive - Remember you can move the telescoping in/out (if the motor works and the plastic cable is sound) by connecting a 12 volt source directly to the motor's input wires. I have already posted detailed instructions on how to do this.

I never had the ratcheting sound, my problem is that nothing happens when the switch is used. The memory and auto position functions work fine. So I set memory 1 to all the way in and tilt all the way up. Memory 2 to tilt all the way down and extended. I used the reach motor's power wires (hook up + to one side it goes in; hook the + up to the other side it extends) to extend it to where I like it. Now I just press mem1 or mem2 to move the wheel to a perfect position for me.

I believe a stripped cable is the worse of the two possible states. I hope I'm wrong about yours, but if not - that's what you have to address. Ask if you want more info on anything else. There are a ton of posts on this topic, as I recall a search for Reach motor is far more successful than a search for telescoping.

John

The following users liked this post:
Geoff41 (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I'll need to disassemble & inspect....

Originally Posted by Johnken
Geoff41,

The fact that you hear a ratchet sound is not good. That sounds to me like a stripped plastic extension mechanism (the motor turns but it can't grasp a tooth on the plastic cable).

1) Let's get confirmation that this is likely true.
2) If so, you can purchase replacement parts on ebay for a reasonable price. I've seen entire steering shaft mechanisms for less than 200 dollars. The installation will be a PIA but what can you do.

I was going to take another decision branch - what if the cable is OK? but I've seen so many posts from folks with the exact same issue you have that it is probably not worth it.

But: In the spirit of being positive - Remember you can move the telescoping in/out (if the motor works and the plastic cable is sound) by connecting a 12 volt source directly to the motor's input wires. I have already posted detailed instructions on how to do this.

I never had the ratcheting sound, my problem is that nothing happens when the switch is used. The memory and auto position functions work fine. So I set memory 1 to all the way in and tilt all the way up. Memory 2 to tilt all the way down and extended. I used the reach motor's power wires (hook up + to one side it goes in; hook the + up to the other side it extends) to extend it to where I like it. Now I just press mem1 or mem2 to move the wheel to a perfect position for me.

I believe a stripped cable is the worse of the two possible states. I hope I'm wrong about yours, but if not - that's what you have to address. Ask if you want more info on anything else. There are a ton of posts on this topic, as I recall a search for Reach motor is far more successful than a search for telescoping.

John

Thanks John -- In order to check the cable I will no-doubt need to take apart the column coverings and inspect the parts in hopes to discover the actual condition of the cable that you reference. Can't do it right away so I'll put it on my to-do list for my next thrashing opportunity. Cheers, Geof