XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stepped on it enjoying the growl then..

Old 07-31-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Red face Stepped on it enjoying the growl then..

Since I modified the exhaust I've been driving it in sport mode.The other day I was entering the freeway accelerating hard in sport mode and when I took my foot off the gas the transmission shifted into neutral,the shifter was still in drive.I coasted off onto the shoulder and tried moving the shifter to other gears and back into drive but the car was still in neutral.There was no message in the fault display.

Well after a few WTF and Oh s**t I shut the car off and was ready to call the tow truck which I should have on speed dial. I remember reading in the forum that a lot of the transmission was electrical so the decided to give it a try and restarted it and when I put it into to gear,guess what,I was good to go.

That was two weeks ago and nothing new has happened but it concerns me and it makes me comfortable driving the car too far from home base.I have tried to get it to do it again by putting into sport mode accelerating hard thru a couple of gears and taking my foot off the gas quickly but it acts normal.

Anyone esle ever had this happen,if so were you able to pin point the reason why?

BTW it a 2000 XKR with 41K on it.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I feel your trepidation. You may have read the thread I started the other day about flicking on the high beams and feeling the transmission clunk and then lock itself into 6th gear. After turning off the car and restarting it everything worked fine. That was two days and about 1500 miles ago. I've had no problems since then. I thought about dropping by a dealer just to have it checked out, but there were none that were convenient. I just drove it on home. It seems like these cars are like computers; they have little glitches then just need to be rebooted.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I feel your trepidation. You may have read the thread I started the other day about flicking on the high beams and feeling the transmission clunk and then lock itself into 6th gear. After turning off the car and restarting it everything worked fine. That was two days and about 1500 miles ago. I've had no problems since then. I thought about dropping by a dealer just to have it checked out, but there were none that were convenient. I just drove it on home. It seems like these cars are like computers; they have little glitches then just need to be rebooted.
It really gives you pause to think of the direction cars are going, and the consequences of bugs in the firmware! Take the runaway Toyota's for example. I would much prefer my vehicle just up and die or get stuck in a gear, than the Toyota alternative.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Speaking of the Toyota problem, from what I've heard they checked the black boxes and found that in most, if not all, of the cases the accelerator was being pressed and not the brake. I'm not sure who examined the black boxes.

I am not now or ever have been associated with Toyota, or owned any of there products.

Last edited by Max; 07-31-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Car and Driver did a article about the "toyota problem". They tested several cars and showed that even in cars with the most powerful engines, it was still possible to stop the car with the brakes at full throttle. They also pointed out that the driver could also simply turn off the engine or shift the car into neutral. I have a very hard time believing that a California Highway Patrol officer wouldn't even think to put the car into neutral.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Wink

Well it been fun trying to get the Jag to do it again!!The car sounds terrific in sport mode with the new exhaust modification,but the transmission is still of concern,I really would like to fix the problem.I was thinking that I should have the fluid changed but then I remember about the additive.Just looking for thoughts from others not sitting in my drivers seat..

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Red face

I felt your pain,Idon't know if I now would take my jag on a 7500 mile trip!!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. It makes you wonder about aeroplanes, don't know if pilots are taught to reboot if plane suddenly goes into a steap dive !!!
George

Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

4 years ago we had something similar happen every so often. We would be driving along and power to the wheels would be lost. Pulling over to the side, shutting down and then starting up again would clear the problem. After this happening a few times, and adding more white hairs to my head, I took it to the Jag dealer and they diagnosed as a bad throttle body (TB). Actually, as I found out later, it was just a small part on the TB that was the cause but that part couldn't be bought separately and the entire TB was replaced. This solved the problem.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eaglexkr
I felt your pain,Idon't know if I now would take my jag on a 7500 mile trip!!
We're home now, and the Jag ran great other than the bad gas incident and the transmission clunk. It now has a little over 80,000 miles on it. I guess I can't really complain. I've only had minor problems with it since I bought it a few months ago, and all of those were easily repairable (wheel speed sensors, headrests, etc.).

Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Smile

We're home now, and the Jag ran great other than the bad gas incident and the transmission clunk. It now has a little over 80,000 miles on it. I guess I can't really complain. I've only had minor problems with it since I bought it a few months ago, and all of those were easily repairable (wheel speed sensors, headrests, etc.).
Thanks for all the photos on your trip,it felt like I was sitting in the back seat enjoy the view.
It gave an idea to do a road trip around the Great Lakes for next summer,this year we are putting money aside for our trip down under to Sydney for the New Year parties.Check out the prices on the Jags in Australia if you want sticker shock.
Glad you made it back and that your car perform well(I have got to quit reading about problems that other people have with their cars,when ever I do I start hearing the same noises and feeling the same knocks)
With that being said,I'm taking the Jag out and headed to Highway 61 on the west side of the Mississippi and drive south to Red Wing cross the river to the Wisconsin side and hit Highway 35 on the east side of the river back home..See you all later!