XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade - 2003 XKR Coupe - really happy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade - 2003 XKR Coupe - really happy!

Finally got my basic stereo upgraded and really happy with the results. This forum was very useful for information - I wouldn't have known about the XJ6 facia swap to make it all look standard. I've had the whole lot done, and there's nothing to see except the head unit

I picked the first audio company that came up as audio installers on Google, and happily they are very close to where I live, and turn out to have been very good - Car Audio Equipment | Buy online at Car Audio Security

I was going to put a 8" sub in the hole on the parcel shelf, but they advised against it. Their engineer says he has done 6 XK's previously - all with subs this way - and was never happy with the results (something to do with the thickness of the steel in the bulkhead, and the holes cut out in it as well as space), so I had them build a custom enclosure for a 10" sub in the boot where the first aid kit normally hangs. It's out of the way, looks almost standard and still leaves loads of boot space. The amps went where the CD changer (haven't listened to a CD except in this car for years) and the jag upgrade amp would go, and both carpeted over. I also had all the speaker and power cabling replaced.

One thing that didn't go smooth was the steering wheel control interface from Nexxia. Apparently they don't do the specific one for XK's anymore, but offer an alternative - which I bought. My installers found that one of the connectors was wrong, but searched around and found that one from a Mazda would fit - so they re-wired the adapter with that and made it work. I now have control of volume, next track and source select from the steering wheel.

I also had a couple of bulk Dynamat Xtreme kits fitted - boot lid, boot floor, inner rear quarter panels and the whole of both doors. Doors sound lovely when they close now, and the car is whisper quiet inside, even with my Adamesh sports exhaust! Nothing buzzes or rattles, there is pure, clean sound.

I had the USB and iPod connectors routed to the arm rest, as well as an ariel over-ride switch, and a sub woofer volume controller in there too.

System comprised of:-

Pioneer DEH80 - PRS head unit
Rockford Fosgate T165 - S front components
Rockford Fosgate T1S652 rear speakers
Rockford Fosgate Punch P400 X 4 (coz that fitted in the CD changer space - the T400 apparently wouldn't)
JL Audio 10W3v3-2 10" sub
JL Audio XD600/1 sub-amp

The sound is clean and powerful with no distortion at any volume level - however from outside the car you'd hardly know the stereo was switched on, just a slight boom from the boot, but go back a few paces and you can't hear it. I love it - I now have the choice of quality sounding tunes - or the sound of the supercharged jag

The following users liked this post:
greenforest56 (03-17-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry forgive my ignorance, but what is the XJ6 fascia swap you mentioned? I haven't seen that one yet

and do you have any pictures of the finished product?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nbucholdt
Sorry forgive my ignorance, but what is the XJ6 fascia swap you mentioned? I haven't seen that one yet

and do you have any pictures of the finished product?

If you go to the FAQ section at the top of the page and go to this bit:-

Audio Upgrades
. Link 1 | Link 2
. Fascia Adapter parts required from Jaguar for a single-DIN aftermarket stereo
. Subwoofer addition to rear 'seat'
. I-phone integration, including video out to the NAV screen (HDMI), bluetooth streaming and phone - all with the factory head unit!

Its all in there including the Jaguar part number. I tried to get to the right one, but for some reason the links don't seem to be working for me at the moment. Maybe the forum, or my current browser settings.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 AM
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm about to install a new Alpine head unit in my XK8. I hope I don't run into the same problem with the Nexxia adapter that you did.
I found your posting very inspiring. After reading it, I am going to install sound proofing and run the ipod from the armrest as well.
However, I can't find your FAQ section at the top. The only URL that works sends you to your installers website. I, too, would like to know more about the XJ8 fascia replacement for a single DIN. Is it a simple exchange with the original?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by greenforest56
I'm about to install a new Alpine head unit in my XK8. I hope I don't run into the same problem with the Nexxia adapter that you did.
I found your posting very inspiring. After reading it, I am going to install sound proofing and run the ipod from the armrest as well.
However, I can't find your FAQ section at the top. The only URL that works sends you to your installers website. I, too, would like to know more about the XJ8 fascia replacement for a single DIN. Is it a simple exchange with the original?

It was this post that inspired me :-) https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-56937/