Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar bushings replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Sway bar bushings replacement

Just changed mine this is how I did it. 2001 XKR 53K miles

0/ NOTE this job is a lot easier if you jack up both sides and remove BOTH clamps first and then replace the bushing. By doing this the sway bar can easily be moved up/down to remove and fit new bushings.
1/ Jack up the front wheels and remove wheels.
2/ Remove plastic insert inside wheel arch 2 poppers along the bottom front, pull the centers out 1/4inch then lever the plastic outside rim out.
3/ Two poppers at top of wheel arch these have phillips screw heads. If they dont screw out pull them out a little and grip center with thin nose pliers then unscrew the screw.
4/ 3 plastic nuts at bottom edge and a torex screw, then pull insert out.
5/ Between the gap in the body and sub-frame you can see the bracket that holds the sway bar bushing in place. Get a 10mm ring wrench and undo the two nuts. You need to reach under the car from there you can get a finger to the nut to guide the wench as you undo these nuts from inside the wheel arch. I used a tube over the wench to get leverage to get it started and spray with WD 40 first.
6/ Take out the braket from inside the subframe and push the old bushings out i.e again from inside engine bay. You may need to use a bar between the sway bar and lower suspension arm to move the sway bar up and down to wiggle it out.
7/ Coat the inside of the new bushing with grease especially inside the grove.
8/ Push the new one in from inside the engine bay note the split in the bushing must face back ward towards the back of the car and if in correctly should line up with the subframe flat surface, this is really important. Note the grove in the subframe this should seat the grove in the bushing. I used a bar between the sway bar and lower suspension arm to move the sway bar up and down so I could wiggle it into place.
9/ Check it is seated correctly from inside the wheel arch and from above inside the engine bay.
10/ Replace the braket and nuts when you have the nuts nearly tightened down check the bushing split is this lined up and has not moved. From inside the wheel arch you can see this.
11/ Same for both sides replace your wheel lining and wheels take the car for a run. If u smell burning rubber after a run down the freeway then u didnt seat them correctly !!! I know I did this on the passanger side and had to redo LOL.

Should take 30-40 min a side if you go slow second time I did in 30min

I bought mine on eBay for $25 a pair

Last edited by LedZepplin; 12-01-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

What brand and type of grease did you coat the inside of the bushing with?

Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
What brand and type of grease did you coat the inside of the bushing with?
I just used a high melting point bearing grease these are safe with rubber and are used in the various rubber seals/covered joints else where on the jag.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member

Do I understand correctly that you used wheel bearing grease on a suspension bushing?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

simon, did you know you could reach all four bolts from up top, from the engine bay? If you put the bonnet in fully open, service position, the only thing you need to do is lift the front end and work the clamp off, the old bushing out, the new bushing in, the clamp back on, and go back up top and put the bolts back in. I did it your way the first time before a jag tech came along and gave me the bad news. lol It is soo much easier their way. Just need a 3' extension, at least.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
simon, did you know you could reach all four bolts from up top, from the engine bay? If you put the bonnet in fully open, service position...
OK I give up, what's the trick to that?

Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Old 11-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
simon, did you know you could reach all four bolts from up top, from the engine bay? If you put the bonnet in fully open, service position, the only thing you need to do is lift the front end and work the clamp off, the old bushing out, the new bushing in, the clamp back on, and go back up top and put the bolts back in. I did it your way the first time before a jag tech came along and gave me the bad news. lol It is soo much easier their way. Just need a 3' extension, at least.
yup I did I watch the vid out there. But taking the bolts out is the easy bit 5min at most (wheels liner 5min) the hard part is getting the bushing in and out and seated correctly. Hence with the wheel liner out you can see and feel your way around better from under the car and u can move the sway bar up/down at the same time.