Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas State inspections

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Texas State inspections

Has anyone else had trouble with passing the state inspection due to the gas cap failing the pressure test. It seems like the test equipment is not compatible with the gas caps on Jaguars either the XK8 or the X300.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Never had a problem with my 2002 XKR.

Mark

Old 08-09-2015, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Did have to fiddle with mine last time, but got it the second try. Trouble sealing or something.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

If you don't live in the EPA 'non-attainment' areas then you just honk the horn, turn on the lights and wipers, pay $7.00 and go on with your life.

Only urban areas in Texas have emission testing for Automobiles. The rest of the State has a Safety inspection.

bob gauff

Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I would gladly pay $7. In our county here in North Carolina, the annual inspection fee is $30....

Old 08-10-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I have the same problem with my '97 in Utah. They don't have an adapter that works. Inspector called the DMV last year and was told to waive the test. See what happens next month when its due.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

In VA they know they do not have the correct adapter and waive the test.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I would gladly pay $7. In our county here in North Carolina, the annual inspection fee is $30....
In the UK the Government sets the price for the MoT (annual inspection) test. Currently it is set at £54.85 ($85.38) for cars.

Main dealers charge the full fee but many independent testing stations discount it to around £45 ($70).

Graham

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by EZDriver
Has anyone else had trouble with passing the state inspection due to the gas cap failing the pressure test. It seems like the test equipment is not compatible with the gas caps on Jaguars either the XK8 or the X300.
What a waste of time and money. If the cap was faulty, the CEL would be on.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
If you don't live in the EPA 'non-attainment' areas then you just honk the horn, turn on the lights and wipers, pay $7.00 and go on with your life.

Only urban areas in Texas have emission testing for Automobiles. The rest of the State has a Safety inspection.

bob gauff
I haven't done an inspection since moving out to the country yet but it's due (cough-catalytic-converters-cough-will-E-mail-you-shortly). If it's not safety only where I'm at now, I'll be headed to a Kwik Kar nearer you then.

My diesel truck is safety-only. Would be great if the others are now by simply moving!

Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

?

Last edited by EZDriver; 08-12-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob gauff
That is fine Bob. But I live in East Texas and get it tested in Hawkins which rejects the car because of the car. They demand a new cap which is $50 and I have done that and it still fails to test. In Mineola they can tell it seals even though their tester still calls for a fail. I think the reason is there is no pressure release valve in the cap. That valve is in the car using one of the two tubes in the filler neck. They are getting real strict and we need to have some technical data to show them how the cap works. Where can we find that data?

Old 08-12-2015, 01:36 PM

They are getting real strict and we need to have some technical data to show them how the cap works. Where can we find that data?
Physically testing a cap for leaks on a modern car is absolutely redundant as the car is automatically doing that on virtually a continuous basis. The reason gas caps (and essentially the entire fuel storage system) is sealed is to prevent gas vapours from escaping to the atmosphere. 'Vented' gas cap disappeared in about 1971ish when the early evaporation or 'evap' systems were introduced. They collected gas vapours in a charcoal canister located under the hood and later fed them to the engine to be burned. This same system controls the admission of air to the gas tank as the fuel level drops.

Modern cars, essentially any car with an OBDII monitoring system, self-tests the entire 'evap' system almost every time the car is driven. If there is any leak, the CEL will illuminate and a code designating the size of the leak will be recorded to help in diagnosis and repair. Typical codes would be P0440, P0442 or P0455 or something similar.

If your car has no related codes, there is no leak at the cap or anywhere else.

Good luck trying to convince your department of redundancy department of motor vehicles that they're about 20 years behind in technology.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Physically testing a cap for leaks on a modern car is absolutely redundant as the car is automatically doing that on virtually a continuous basis. The reason gas caps (and essentially the entire fuel storage system) is sealed is to prevent gas vapours from escaping to the atmosphere. 'Vented' gas cap disappeared in about 1971ish when the early evaporation or 'evap' systems were introduced. They collected gas vapours in a charcoal canister located under the hood and later fed them to the engine to be burned. This same system controls the admission of air to the gas tank as the fuel level drops.

Modern cars, essentially any car with an OBDII monitoring system, self-tests the entire 'evap' system almost every time the car is driven. If there is any leak, the CEL will illuminate and a code designating the size of the leak will be recorded to help in diagnosis and repair. Typical codes would be P0440, P0442 or P0455 or something similar.

If your car has no related codes, there is no leak at the cap or anywhere else.

Good luck trying to convince your department of redundancy department of motor vehicles that they're about 20 years behind in technology.
Thanks for the info. Good information and I am on a mission to update the mentality of the Texas DMV. I'm sure this will be no problem with their size 6 hat size over their 16 neck size. Oh well it might be fun.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 PM

I'm sure this will be no problem with their size 6 hat size over their 16 neck size.
LOL

Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
In the UK the Government sets the price for the MoT (annual inspection) test. Currently it is set at £54.85 ($85.38) for cars.

Main dealers charge the full fee but many independent testing stations discount it to around £45 ($70).

Graham
Yes... but it's a much better (*) inspection.

(*) er, depending on how one defines "better"!! More thorough, at least.

Anyone interested to see all the mechanical etc checks done by the MoT here, the full inspection manual is quite readable (no, really, it is!) and online for free. A fair amount of it can be used as a guide for a DIYer as to the kinds of things you should check yourself...
https://www.gov.uk/topic/mot/manuals
I believe a car is a class 4, so https://www.gov.uk/government/public...and-7-vehicles

Last edited by JagV8; 08-13-2015 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:39 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Update: Nope, based on registration by county, of which it's close but no cigar for me, so I couldn't drive over.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Not in Texas, but I did have this issue. I purchased a new gas cap all went good.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Brazoria, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Montgomery, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, Williamson, El Paso Counties in Texas are classified as EPA non attainment and must have the motor vehicles pass an emission test as well as the Safety check.

There are 254 Counties in Texas so the rest of us just have a Safety Inspection.
Only the crowded urban areas need the emission testing.

You can drive out to a rural County and get a Safety Inspection and sign a waiver.

Affidavit (Texas Department of Public Safety Form VIE-12): An owner of a vehicle registered in Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Travis, and Williamson Counties may obtain a VIE-12 and have a vehicle safety inspection completed in a county where the emissions inspection is not required if one of the following conditions is true:
  • the vehicle will not be primarily operated (driven, parked, or stored less than 60 days per year) in one of the affected counties listed above (examples: certain company fleet vehicles, hunting vehicles);
  • the vehicle will no longer be primarily operated for 60 calendar days per inspection cycle in one of the counties listed above (example: someone who moved from an affected county);
  • the vehicle will not return to an affected county prior to the expiration of the current vehicle registration sticker (example: student, vacationer, extended out-of-town business); or
  • the vehicle is inoperable and will not be operated in an affected county.
Low Mileage Waiver: This waiver is available to a vehicle owner whose vehicle has failed both its initial emissions inspection and re-inspection and in which at least $100 in emissions related repairs have been performed. The vehicle is required to have been driven less than 5,000 miles in the previous inspection cycle and is expected to be driven fewer than 5,000 miles before the next safety inspection is required.
Parts Availability Time Extension: This extension is available to motorists who are experiencing emission inspection failures due to a vehicle part not being readily available.
Low-Income Time Extension: This extension is available to qualified individuals who would otherwise qualify for public assistance. The Low-Income Time Extension is valid for one inspection cycle, but may be granted more than once during the life of a vehicle.
Individual Vehicle Waiver: This waiver is available to a vehicle owner that has spent at least $600 ($450 in El Paso) on emission-related repairs and is still unable to pass an emissions inspection or unable to qualify for another type of waiver. The waiver may be granted based upon the Texas Department of Public Safety belief that granting the waiver will not cause a significant impact on air quality.

The following users liked this post:
Sentinelist (08-22-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by MRomanik
I have the same problem with my '97 in Utah. They don't have an adapter that works. Inspector called the DMV last year and was told to waive the test. See what happens next month when its due.
Same thing this year. Inspector called DMV & got a waiver. He told me that an adapter isn't made for this fuel cap.