XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 11:36 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Thermostat housing

I finally got around to replacing the thermostat housing, crossover pipe and radiator hoses on our 2001 XK8 Coupe with 105,000 miles.
The project went about as expected. I did a ton of research here and elsewhere. I must say thank you to all those whose efforts and info I was able to take advantage of. I ended up using a 1/4" carpenter's chisel to split the back of the original stat housing. I was not going to take hours removing those bolts. Nor was I going to loosen the intake manifold. Once I split the rear of the housing it only took a little back and forth to get it out. The rear bolt removal was then simple. There was a little interference from the intake but the bolts came out okay. I put in the new housing and finger tightened the front bolts. I then used a magnet to place the rear bolts. I used a screwdriver to tap them into place and then keep pressure on them as I got them started. Needless to say the next hour and a half to get those two rear bolts tightened was interesting. 15 years ago I would have lost my mind. What did make me happy was the drain valve on the radiator. I miss them on other cars and Jaguars. I had to remove the transmission cooling line to access the lower radiator hose. No biggie but getting to the squeeze clamp was a bit of a chore.
I believe that everything I changed was original to the car. The stat housing and cross over and the hoses were done. I can't believe nothing catastrophic happened. I must add that the hose connecting to the stat housing did blow off twice before I found time to replace the housing.
Next up are front springs, jumper lugs, checking the timing chain tensioners, (although I was assured by the PO that they have been replaced), and a little paint touch up.

The following 2 users liked this post by stephenniz:
CA Jag (08-13-2021), cjd777 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 03:03 PM
Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Hi Stephanniz,

Nice job, good luck in the coming projects. It was not clear whether you replaced the thermostat housing with OE, or upgraded to aluminum (or aluminium). If replaced with OE, you may need to do it again in a dozen years, if upgraded to Al, this tip won't do you any good. Using socket head cap screws on the back side bolts makes these infinitely easier to re-install. Just tighten with an ball-allen extension, and there is no problem with access or clearance.

Do me a favor please and let me know where you sourced your springs, and how well you like the result. I'm facing this job soon.

All th best,

Jerry Lippmann

Old 08-14-2021, 09:22 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I used the aluminum upgrade kit for the thermostat housing. I used an OEM cross over because there is no upgrade available. I flushed the system before refilling and I hope no plastic is floating around in there.
I purchased a new set of OEM springs from a member on this forum. I have already replaced the shocks but it didn't cure the front left tire rubbing when going through a right hand turn. I hope the springs bring a resolution. Otherwise I could be looking at a more serious problem. I'll post results. Maybe within the next two weeks.

Stephen