XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Things to watch out for?

I'm a proud new (to me) Jaguar owner, 2001 XKR model. Just wondering if there are things I should be aware of, maintenance issues, problem areas, etc. It has 60k miles.

So far I've discovered the navigation system is pretty bare bones for my area, admittedly I live in Idaho but... It's almost as if Idaho didn't exist back in 1998 (printed on the DVD). There are whole cities missing and really only major highways showing. I'm desperately trying to track down a newer DVD but from what I've read thus far it may not be much better. Navteq doesn't seem to want to help and the local dealer is looking into it for me. He couldn't even find the DVD part in his system, yikes!

I saw a post from h20boy about replacing the nav system with a garmin unit that utilized the existing screen, that looks like a GREAT solution.

Anyway, anything else you all can think of that I should be aware of as a new owner would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts
Default RE: Things to watch out for?

Geez, it's late, but i'll try to remember some common issues that I've read about (and recall).

1. Watch the hydraulics in the convertible top, if yours is a vert. If the fluid is old/not utilized alot during its life, moving it back and forth can cause a line to break right above the passenger's head. Not pretty. If the fluid is ick, check with the dealer to get a good flushing. it'll be worth it in the long run and avoid a patch or re-placement of lines, including that cleaning bill.
2. Suspension may be worn out, lower bushings, upper shock mounts, control arm bushings, etc. Can be considerable to repair depending on what your alignment specs are currently.
3. tilt/reach motor in the steering column. My reach went out, but replaced under warranty.
4. Electrical problems such as ABS sensors (dirty mostly), harness sometimes goes bad other times.
5. Expansion tank with coolant often springs a leak somewhere, or float sensor goes bad, possibly a hose near the thermostat splits.
6. Door latches will fatigue over time, both of mine were replaced at about 40k by the dealer under warranty.
7. You may notice some jerking in the tranny upon starts, or slow stops...it'll eventually go away as the tranny learns your style of driving compared to the previous driver. it's normal.
Don't curb those wheels...expensive to 'repair' at the dealer. i've rubbed two already. [:@] at myself.

Other than that, you can go thru the various xk8/xkr threads and see where most people are having common problems. There isn't many to be honest, compared to the x-types, s-types and XJ series.
If you want a 2004 DVD for the nav (or you want me to see if your neighborhood is on there), latest version, I won't be using mine anymore and would part with it for considerably less than the dealer will charge ya. Send me an email if you're interested.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Water Boy covered most of it. 2001's had already made a good start on fixing the start-up problems found in 97-98 models. The major upgrades came after the 2003 model. But I wouldn't sweat things. Once the basic engineering and design flaws are fixedorreplaced, the car itself is pretty reliable. I've simply stayed on this forum and otherboards, reading about different issues which arise in other cars. After reading a post, I may go out into the garage and have a look see on mine. Ususally if something comes up, like a fault code, it has already been discussed many times, and the fix is pretty clear.

Learning to work on your Jaguar goes a long way to make owning oneboth a worthwhile venture, and an affordable one. Jaguar dealers are notorious for big dollar repair bills. Leaving a dealership with less than a $500 repair bill is rare. I think there is a $500 door charge, just to get into the service bays. Find a good independent Jag mechanics and make friends with him. A good one will help you do some of the easier repairs on your own. Just be certain that you are always fair with him, and pay him for his time, as well as his labor. gordo

Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Don't forget to check the timing chain tensioners. I had mine changed to the new metal ones as a preventative measure. The original plastic ones can break an cause very expensive repairs.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned my 04XK8 convertible for five days, now.

Tonight, as I closed the top, green pi$$ poured over my right arm, right leg and the J-gate.

Also, the telescoping steering wheel adjustment stopped working, completely.

Good thing I'd read this thread earlier so I didn't get completely freaked out. (Though I am pretty angry.)

Good thing this is under the Select Edition warranty.

Good thing the car is such a looker.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:24 AM
Veteran member

sorry livewire, at least you know there isn't much else you should worry about for awhile at least. Hey, while in the shop, tell them the doors shake a bit on bumps like it's hinges are loose...and maybe you can get the door latches replaced. assuming they werent done already before you bought it...you can always ask. lol

Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Good idea. Actually, the driver's door is a little wobbly.I'll let them know, along with the "knock" coming from the right front...ashock mount bushing I assume?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I've also noticed the posts about potential problems with the convertible top hydraulics. Of course owners on these types of car forums tend to quickly post when problems happen, so it is not clear to me if this is a widespread problem or just something that will happen to only a few percent of owners.

Nevertheless, as a newbie owner of a 2005 XKR, the hydraulic issue lurks in my mind every time I open/close the top. So is there something preemptive that can be done (i.e., are visual inspections of the overall system easy and is this something a dealer would do as routine inspection)?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 09-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There are only 4 screwssecuring the latch assembly cover and it is easily removed. You can view the complete latch hydraulic cylinder and hose connections to check for leaks at that point but the hoses seem to fail suddenly and catastrophically.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Livewire, if you're in the shop, and you do choose to replace the bushings (lower most likely, but could be the upper) ask them if they'll give you a 'discount' on the labor to do both top and bottom. If you don't negotiate it up front, don't assume they will. Say 3 hours to replace lower, 3.5 for upper (just guessing here), most shops will just add them up for 6.5 hours of labor, even though the labor to remove/reinstall many of the same parts are in each. I had a total of 14 hours labor in my last repair bill for one tech, though it only took them 6 hours to do the entire suspension job. Made his day I presume.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 PM

Yes, test point, I've already been out looking at the four attachment points. I was thinking of removing the cover just to sop up any excess CHF11s, examine the failure and still let the dealer fix it next Monday. They're providing a loaner car and will repair the telescoping steering column, the broken center console vent flaps, check the "clunk" up front and do a typical pre-purchase inspection.

Waterboy, good idea re: the upper and lower bushings. Funny, this is the same issue I dealt with in my 1994 VDP....didn't resolve the problem over those 10 years I guess? I figured they would've come up with some alternative in that time.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

I am the same. Every time I raise or lower the top, I cringe and watch the area under the latch. I keep a small towel in the glove box just in case. I have no idea if it has ever been repaired or not. I leave the top down most of the time and I have a dust cover for the interior as it sits in my garage.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM

Thanks you guys, those were very helpful items and I really appreciate it. This is a very good list and I'm going to check those out.

I haven't worked on my own car since an old Beetle I had in college and an old BMW I had just out of college. So please forgive my mechanical ignorance :-) I'm curious about the timing chain tensioners, are there any visible indicators as to whether you have the plastic or metal? I'll do some searches on it as well.

h20boy, I can't seem to send you a message or an email. Says I don't have privileges to do so, however I would be interested in the DVD you have.

Thanks again everyone for your help, it is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

Sent you an email creative.

livewire, keep us updated on your visit to the dealer. One tip, tip your service advisor if you can, and are happy with the relationship you have with him...I gave mine a gift card one time, and a box of Titleist golf ***** (he's an avid golfer) the last time i was in...in addition to bringing in a couple dozen kolaches for the techs in the morning. You'd be suprised what good-will this is now returning to me in 'no charges' and pre-service advice.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 PM

Good advice waterboy. When I needed crash repairs on my Aprilia, I brought 4 barbeque lunches for the manager and his technicians. When it came time to get the replacement costs for the insurance company, I ended up making a couple of thousand dollars.! A little good will can sure go a long way, especially in a business where what you usually hear is how you screwed up.

Cheers,

Paul

Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: hlgeorge

Don't forget to check the timing chain tensioners. I had mine changed to the new metal ones as a preventative measure. The original plastic ones can break an cause very expensive repairs.
If you don't mind me asking, do you recall how much that cost?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Dealer wanted $2400 for upper and lower tensioners. I found an independent mechanic that had done the replacement many times and he charged me $1K. In retrospect, I would have had the chains replaced too since it was opened up that far. Chains were $75 ea.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Good to know, thanks for the info!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: h20boy

Sent you an email creative.

livewire, keep us updated on your visit to the dealer. One tip, tip your service advisor if you can, and are happy with the relationship you have with him...I gave mine a gift card one time, and a box of Titleist golf ***** (he's an avid golfer) the last time i was in...in addition to bringing in a couple dozen kolaches for the techs in the morning. You'd be suprised what good-will this is now returning to me in 'no charges' and pre-service advice.
The service advisor listened well and understood the need to phrase things in the right way to get it covered under the Select Edition. Unfortunately, anything involving the shock isn't covered. The repair of the top hydraulics was completely covered. The upper strut mount had a little wiggle. That along with a front stabilizer bar bushing caused the "knock" while going over bumps at the front right. The door hinges were fine but the striker plate needed adjustment...and the door works perfectly now. And the "fix" for the steering wheel adjuster was free of charge. (Um, I didn't realize that it was a joystick type control.) So, I spent a fair amount but had a fair amount covered. I got the car for, what I consider, to be a better than fair price. I figure I'm still $3-5K ahead and the car is functioning flawlessly. The service advisor is now "mine" from here on and I can request the same mechanic for future repairs. Thanks for your insight.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Veteran member

Good to hear Paul, hope to see ya around the forum in the future.

Quick Reply: Things to watch out for?