Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body advice please ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Throttle Body advice please ?

I know that throttle body issues are a regular problem in older XK8s and I have read most of the very helpful posts here but .......... not sure in which order to proceed.
1997 - XK8 - 120k miles.
Since I purchased the XK8 last year I have done around 4k miles and on only two occasions - motorway speed so around 75/80 mph - engine has just cut out. No fault light and no code stored. Once stopped, engine restarted and no further problem. This is an acknowledged fault for my vin range and was covered by SA514. (my vin ends : 016506)
However - according to the service history that came with the car, the throttle body was replaced at 93k miles - "check and rectify engine warning light on. Replace throttle assembly. Part No : LCC1560AA" This was done by a "proper" Jaguar main dealer, but there is no mention or a sticker on the car that SA514 was done.
Not sure in what order to try and fix this :
Remove throttle body, clean thoroughly, check connections etc and re-install ?
Bite the bullet and replace the throttle body with a new one (does anything need to be reprogrammed if I do this ?)
Get a main dealer to do the SA514 "reflash" which will cost money as they will no longer do this under warranty I gather.
Any other ideas ?
Bit scarey when it happens so need to fix it somehow. Throttle body isn't TOO expensive to replace (around £250.00 UK) so will go down that route if it's likely to be the best permanent solution.

All advice gratefully received. Thanks. David.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

When the TB was failing on my 2001 XK8, it repeatedly logged P1121 and set the MIL.

With no codes set on yours, I'd go for a clean first but then I always like to eliminate the zero cost options before spending money on parts!

A new TB does not need reprogramming but the battery should be disconnected for a 'hard reset' before removal so the replacement starts up with default fuel trims.

I think you are being very optimistic about the cost of a new TB.

Graham

Old 03-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

DevonDavid-

It's quite possible that your throttle body only needs a good cleaning. These units are known to cause stalls under certain speeds when dirty...gunk builds up around the edges of the throttle valve and on the hinges...and the thing simply gets stuck for a few seconds.

It happened to me...exactly as you and many others describe. I did a good cleaning and no similar stalls for 3 years now. My original thread on that incident can be seen HERE.

Get some good throttle body cleaner and a few rags, pop off the intake tube and get it cleaned up. It may be all you need. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I'd go for a clean first but then I always like to eliminate the zero cost options before spending money on parts!

A new TB does not need reprogramming but the battery should be disconnected for a 'hard reset' before removal so the replacement starts up with default fuel trims.

I think you are being very optimistic about the cost of a new TB.

Graham
Are you sure you weren't stolen from North of the border as a child?

I think you are right about costs, Welsh lists it for about $750

Old 03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Thanks guys - looks like a good clean with the correct potion is going to be "Plan A" . I will also contact nearest dealer to find out if SA 514 was ever done on my car. Agree about cost - *except* that they come up fairly regularly on that well-known site with the suffix EK which I think means that they were supplied to the dealers by Jaguar under the SA514 recall scheme, and can therefore be sold off at a better price than the "official" new price. I have just finished reconditioning a spare heater pump, and as the throttle body has to come off to replace that, I'll kill two birds with one stone and do both jobs at the same time with some new hoses for good measure.
Cheers again.
David.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

if you are removing the throttle body you might as well change the tunnel hoses. If they haven't been changed you are due.
+1 on cleaning first, mine had "ring around the collar" making the butterfly stick. Came right off with a can of throttle body cleaner.