Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default timing chain tensioners

Hi all,
No doubt its been discussed many times, my xk got 95,000m on clock and jag service history I cannot find any info on what was done by the last jag dealer in Kensington London as they closed last year but could I get away with just tensioners or do I change chain aswell? there is no rattling or strange noises from engine, its just me precautious.

Old 04-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Exclamation

hampshireborn69, 1st of all, what year is your Jag....If it's 2003 or above and you have taken good care of it, your probably OK as is! If it's rattling a little in that area, list to it with a Stethoscope then you can make a decision either to or not....! At 95,000, you probably need to do much more than Tensioners......If you go so far as to replace them, you are not to far from doing all the Chain Tensioners on the front of the Engine and maybe the Water Pump and Belts and so on!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My 99 had 95,000 and I did all. Chain guides were cracked and would not have lasted much longer IMO. Primary tensioners did not look good and chains were well worn. I would do all but that's just my opinion. PS: PO had done secondaries but I replaced with new

Old 04-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Unless your '99 has had the tensioners replaced, you're on borrowed time. Absent any documented proof, the best way to check is to lift the RHS cam cover (as it's the easier one) and take a look-see. Not a cast-iron guarantee that they were replaced as a pair, mind.

AFAIK, if the work was done by a dealership, then any dealer should be able to retrieve the record, but I'm not sure if that works across national boundaries. Is the car a RHD import, or was it just last serviced in the UK?

Replacing the whole lot is IMO the way to go since the primaries also fall apart as Dale has commented (see his pictures - they're not pretty). However the secondaries are the real killers so many opt just to replace these.

I have a new OEM RHS cover gasket spare - PM me if you want it & I'll post across as it's just decorating a wall in my garage at the moment.

M

Old 04-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My used 3rd generation tensioners look real good if anyone needs them. Also have a set of vvts as I replaced mine and that did not fix problem so ASAIK these are good ones

Old 04-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheers michaelh,
I have sent another email to the jag people that done some of the servicing in uk as the sheet they gave me had codes for the work so I don't know what was actually done apart from the services they done,I will PM you about gasket thanks.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a '99 XK8 convertible and I decided to go inside the engine and check the condition of the tension devices. Good thing I did as there was a large crack in all of the devices. I developed a picture story of my efforts and I have attached the project. I don't know if this might be helpful to anyone else and please correct any mistakes I may have made along the way. It has been 4 years since I did the work and the car has operated perfectly.

Unfortunately, the file is too large for downloading I guess there are too many pictures. Any suggestions as to how to get the file to any interested parties?