Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiny niggles with the new XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiny niggles with the new XK8

Hi All,

Just picked up my XK8 this last weekend... What a car! It has completely outperformed my wildest expectations!

There are just a couple or so issues that I wanted to air here and see if I should get it looked at. They're relatively minor but don't know enough about the car yet to be certain.

1. The window washers; only one side appears to work, and sometimes it sprays and other times it just kinda...lamely spurts out of one nozzle.

2. The reverse parking sensors are somewhat intermittent. Half the time they work perfectly as advertised. Other times they play a long tone and appear to have gone to sleep.

3. I'm getting an occasional sound on kickdown, not every time but usually when going down a couple of gears. I can only describe it as a 'whoop' - slightly high pitch almost sounds hydraulic noise. But doesn't sound quite right, as far as I was aware everything (apart from the engine) is meant to be pretty silent on this car.

Those are the only things with the car that are a concern. Everything else seems 100% perfect! I've got some warranty on the car so was wondering if you guys think I should get it in to be looked at?

Many thanks,
James

Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Severniae
Hi All,

Just picked up my XK8 this last weekend... What a car! It has completely outperformed my wildest expectations!

There are just a couple or so issues that I wanted to air here and see if I should get it looked at. They're relatively minor but don't know enough about the car yet to be certain.

1. The window washers; only one side appears to work, and sometimes it sprays and other times it just kinda...lamely spurts out of one nozzle.

2. The reverse parking sensors are somewhat intermittent. Half the time they work perfectly as advertised. Other times they play a long tone and appear to have gone to sleep.

3. I'm getting an occasional sound on kickdown, not every time but usually when going down a couple of gears. I can only describe it as a 'whoop' - slightly high pitch almost sounds hydraulic noise. But doesn't sound quite right, as far as I was aware everything (apart from the engine) is meant to be pretty silent on this car.

Those are the only things with the car that are a concern. Everything else seems 100% perfect! I've got some warranty on the car so was wondering if you guys think I should get it in to be looked at?

Many thanks,
James
1. Probably a damaged or loose hose or a clogged nozzle.

2. Sound like you may have a loose connector or intermittent wire on one of the sensors on the rear bumper.

3. You probably need a transmission additive. Unfortunately it is now out of production. The best alternative is a transmission fluid change, as the current fluid has the additive blended in. See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...s-jtb00070-pdf

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi James,
Sorry, can't help with transmission but in addition to White XKR's comments, try disconnecting the tube to the wiper and then operate the system to narrow down the problem. If all appears ok there then the old sewing needle in the nozzle usually clears any blockage.
With the parking sensors also make sure that they are perfectly clean as dirty sensors can also give those symptoms you mention.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

As Steve (WhiteXKR) said the 'bark' is a known phenomenon but isn't a fault (say Jaguar).
I seem to have fixed mine with an oil change today - although I'll want to get some more miles on before I'm dead sure.

Last edited by steveinfrance; 08-06-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

+1 on the fluid change for the barking/whooping.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

The harness from the reverse parking control unit (LH rear corner of the boot) to the sensors in the bumper takes a bit of a hammering from the weather.

It may only need the contacts cleaning or perhaps connectors replacing. Here's a link to the fitting PDF on my MediaFire account:

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

It has good illustrations of the parts and locations. Should help you troubleshoot the issue.

Graham

Old 08-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks,

I'll give those suggestions a try.