XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonneau sources

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tonneau sources

Newbe here, I have a 2005 XK8 convertible and I am trying to find a cover for the top. I have seen the Adamesh version. It's nice but I've seen pictures of a similar one that is lower profile and I thought I read that it was aluminum. The black pic is the Adamesh and the grey is the one I'm looking for. Does anyone know if this is still available? And if so the source? Last question, do you guys ever approach manufacurers for group buys to knock down prices? I'm a member of a Thunderbird Supercoupe forum and have saved considerable $$ that way.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Tonneau sources-tonneau.jpg   Tonneau sources-adamesh.jpg  
Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I lent my car to the guys over at mina gallery to test fit their soon to be released Tonneau cover. It seems to be a bit sleeker than any of the others I had previously seen. I've wanted one for quite some time but I didn't like the look it gave the car (a bit too batman for me). I'm going by to see the final version within the next few days. I will try to snap some picks and get a ball park price from the guys.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the cover I have on mine... it looks a little high but it actually is touching the high corners of the folded roof. It can't really be any lower at that spot. The one mentioned above, made of aluminum (no longer being made) required a hold-down tensioner mod to the roof to allow the lower profile... that's why I chose the one I did.

I quote...

" This tonneau really transforms the XK8/R, creating a very sporting image for the car and replacing the rather pram-like hood cover on the original. Supplied with a tensioning system to hold the soft top down, the streamlined panels are retained by safety fas-teners. They are stored in padded bags which can be stowed in the boot. The roll bars are built to FIA standards and complement the car’s sporting appearance."

I would be interested in seeing the new one from mina gallery though...

Attached Thumbnails Tonneau sources-tonneau.jpg  

Last edited by catman; 04-04-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Catman, is yours the Adamesh unit? I went through my links and found the other one. It's from racinggreencars.com. I emailed them but have not gotten a response yet. In looking at my top folded, it looks like a tensioner would stress the fabric of the top though and might not be a good idea. Has anyone looked into replacing some or all of the hinge pins with a quick release type? Might be able to get the top all the way down.
Hopefully we get some pics of the Mina unit soon. Summer's almost here and I'd like to get one or the other ordered.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike...

Yes mine is the Adamesh unit. The one from racinggreencars is no longer available, at least it wasn't last spring. I didn't like the tensioner hold down idea either.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:50 PM

Well, the one from racinggreencars is still available but:

"Dear Mike,

I am very sorry to say that our tonneau systems are made to measure for each car.
Yup, each car does vary sufficiently to require each car to have a bespoke fitting !

Unfortunately, therefore, we have only ever been able to offer the tonneau cover
to cars that can be brought to our premises"

So you can get one if your on that side of the ocean

Old 04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mina is still working on theirs. The one they tested out on my car looked great installed but it was massive. You could't fit it in the trunk or the back seat. They are now working with a design similar to the one from Adamesh. I will keep you posted