XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top up - Qtr windows down - Hood not latched err -

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Top up - Qtr windows down - Hood not latched err -

Last night I put my top up by key. Top came up, latched and nothing else happened. Qtr windows didn't come up.

Went inside and tried with switch... still didn't come up.
Tried opening top a bit and then closing. Opened a bit then closed, latched but still no window up.
Tried today and checked the top latch. Top is flush with windshield. Manually released latch and verified it has properly caught the top. Manually re-latched top ... no change.
Checked 40 amp fuse in trunk - OK.
Noticed no pump sounds.

It's getting ready to rain, so I'm going to try the qtr window bypass to get the windows up, but would like to be able to get the top to work.
I have Technical bulletin 501-11AM Convertible Top Electrical System and will go through that, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
I saw several quarter window posts a few top posts but none with the window, top, and Hood not Latched error. (I did check what we yanks call the hood (bonnet) and it is latched.)

Any help is appreciated

Jay

Old 06-24-2018, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jay hood not latched message or Not?

if try fully opening, then see if things reset and windows come up

John

Old 06-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The quarter windows not going up is often an indication that the rams are not fully extended or the ram switch has not been satisfied. Check the fluid level of the tank and that it is up to the top embossed line then check the “T” knob on the tank known as the petcock is closed (clockwise) rotation.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Problem mysteriously fixed! After it rained (of course) I went out to attempt the quarter window bypass. Found mine is a bit different than the instructions I found. (They showed two small relays for up and two for down.) Mine has regular sized relays for left up, left down, right up, and right down (For a total of 4 out of the 6 relays.) I did more research and found which did what and which pins were power and motor. I then manually raised the quarter windows by bypassing the relays. Then got in the car and noticed the Hood not Latched error had disappeared. I decided to try my luck and attempted to put the top down. It worked AND more importantly it went back up properly!!!

Here's my instructions in case anyone can use them..
1) Get access to the trunk fuse box.
2) Turn ignition to ON.
3) Remove the 3rd and 5th relays (counting from the left). SEE FIGURE 2
4) For this next step it might be helpful to have an observer because if you hold the jumper too long (even a second), you will blow 5A fuse #1. Have your observer position
themselves in front of the window you are raising and warn you when the window is nearly up so you can stop exactly when it seats.
In the relay socket, you will momentarily jumper the vertical contact on the left and the vertical contact on the top (SEE FIGURE 3). The window should start to raise.
When it is completely up, remove the jumper immediately. If the fuse pops, replace it with another and proceed to do the same thing for the other window.
5) When both windows are up, replace the relays
6) Turn ignition off and back on to see if the Hood not Latched error goes away. If it does, try lowering and raising the top. and rejoice in your work.

Figure 1 - Boot fuse box and legend

Figure 2 - Location of the Left Up (3) and right up (5) relays

Figure 3 - Closeup of relay socket pinout

The following 3 users liked this post by AC0FC:
Johnken (06-25-2018), mkrion (06-25-2018), Orthodixie (06-24-2018)