XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topping off My Top Fluid - Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Topping off My Top Fluid - Any advice?

Last night my little moggy's top wouldn't latch all the way, and so the rear windows were stuck down. Thanks to everyone here, I was able to find the correct relays in the fuse box to get those windows up... I just couldn't find a wire to use to jump them!

Today when I get home, I'm going to open that trunk up and see if the hydraulic fluid needs to be topped off - again thanks to everyone here! I was able to get the Pentosin CHF 11S at my local auto parts store - I actually bought two cans just in case I'm brave enough to flush that system this weekend when I have more daylight time. Based on some bad repairs from the previous owner, my guess is that the 2 year flush hasn't been maintained. (Oh, I'm dreading that green shower!)

I found the info on JagRepair.com that shows where the pump is (on top of the CD changer) - and it looks like the reservoir is just on the side of the pump.

Here's what I'll be doing, starting with the top down:
  • Take off trunk floor
  • remove trunk back panel
  • remove trunk side panel
  • See if the fluid is low... (Fingers crossed!)
  • Unhook the negative on the battery (I think I remember reading that - is it really necessary?)
  • turning the stopper counterclockwise (lefty loosey!) to open
  • with top down, making sure fluid is at TOP line
  • re-stopper, crank the engine, and run the top back up, engine off
  • with top up, check to see that fluid is at Bottom line
  • before putting the trunk back together, running the top up and down about 6 times to make sure there's no air in the system
  • :icon _beerchug::icon_beer chug:
Let me know if you think I'm missing anything.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boo! It didn't work.

I also tried to jump the relay for the back window and no dice there either.

The top is coming up a bit faster, but when it makes contact with the latch, it just stops - and then i hear some pretty hefty motor (or pump?) noise from the rear passenger side. Almost sounds like the Antenna going up and down, but louder. When I cut the motor, the top finishes going down but isn't properly latched. The fluid was low, and I checked all in the trunk and under the rear seat, and there doesn't appear to be a leak anywhere.

This started happening after I had my rearview mirror removed for the fluid issue. Is there possibly a connection under that overhead light panel that could have gotten jostled?

From what I've read here I think my options for next steps are to flush the system, and/or to do the manual sequence reset. And do more research on the electronics in that overhead light compartment. Any other recommendations out there?

This is the second time in a week I've taken the car to the mechanic and something bad happened. (The mirror when it was in for an oil change and heater hose replacements, and the top stopped working after the mirror was removed.) I don't think there is anything shady going on - I just wonder if there is a curse!

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

First check the petcock on the pump body is fully closed (clockwise) - if not that's your problem.
In any event lubricate the top latch mechanism.
Remove the trim -2 plastic plugs + 2 screws - get a good grip on the screws because they're soft as the proverbial - how do I know??- and remove the trim.
If you open the petcock and remove the access plug above the mirror you can use the Allen key located on the pump body to cycle it while applying your favourite lubricant to all the moving bits.
This makes a big difference.
Don't forget to close the petcock!

Old 08-10-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

To LMK: only if you've still got the original pre - Pentosin 11 fluid in there would you need to flush the system. I forget the colors of the two fluids, but that's how you tell which you have. Someone will know.

And congrat's to Steve on his ascension to moderatordom. Excellent choice. Is there a key to the executive washroom involved?

Last edited by Dennis07; 08-10-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Good point on the pentosin. The new stuff is green and the OP has bought enough to do a flush if he's got the yellow stuff.
Also - while you can see the latch mechanism inspect the hoses for fraying.
Thanks for the congrats - yes we get a key and, of course, Jim sends each of us a bottle of single malt every week.......

Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CHF 11S Pentosin fluid fixed my noisy choppy top 2005 xk8

2005 xk8. I followed the info. Listed in these forums and all went well. CHF 11S green fluid. Not a hard job even with all my thumbs. I used a long clear hose small in diameter sucked the hose full of fluid then blew it into the reservoir. Seven or eight hose blows and all runs smoothly. I could not find a leak anywhere so I have no idea why it was so low.

Thanks for this forum. It saves me $$$$ as I'm certain that the Dealer would have charged $500 and found 20 other things to have done.

I'm gonna celebrate my new found skill with a nice single malt.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Good to hear! That hose blowing thing made me think for a moment that I was at the wrong forum

Doug