XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Bar for XK8?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Tow Bar for XK8?

I came out of the video store last night and learned somewhat to my dismay that my '99 XK8 has likely been afflicted with the dreaded cam chain tensioner problem. I only say 'somewhat to my dismay' as I purchased this vehicle last October with a two-year zero deductible warranty, knowing full well this problem was likely to happen. This issue will be behind me and it didn't occur on the road trip I'm planning at the end of April.

Now to the real topic of this thread. There really aren't many XK8s running around Tucson and the tow-truck driver was working hard to take care of my baby. He was looking for something he called a tow bar which he claimed most cars from over the pond have. He pointed out an empty space in the spare tire compartment where he claimed the tow bar should have been.

My questions to all you experts out there (I'm sure most of you have had your own XK towed at some time) are: Is there such a thing as a tow bar for the XK8? If yes, how do you use it? Should you use it? And finally, where can I find one if it make sense?

Thanks to all of you in advance, this is a great forum!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

There should be a tow hook in the tool kit. Most don't have them, the dealers don't seem to want to install them when they sell the car. Motorcarman did have some, you can probably PM him and see if he has any left.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

It should be in the trunk under the spare tire. My car came with one, but I've heard many people say that their's didn't. Underneath the front bumper there's a threaded hole that the hook screws into, and on the back bumper there's a little piece that pops out, and underneath that piece there's another threaded hole. With the hook (really it's an "eye") the tow truck driver can pull the car up onto a flatbed without having to crawl underneath it and attach his cable to something that might get damaged.

Here's what it looks like. As you can see, it's made of solid gold. It weighs about a pound, so a lot of people sell them. With the price of gold these days it's worth more than the car in many cases. I put mine on a chain and I wear it around my neck when I drive the Jag. Nothing says "success" like driving a Jag and wearing a one pound hunk of gold around your neck.

Attached Thumbnails Tow Bar for XK8?-tow-hook.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
beg3yrs (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:21 PM

Great response Rev Sam! Real information and humor too. Thanks for making my day a bit brighter, after all I did have to visit the cat at the vet. She's pretty sick but when I get a pound of gold to hang around my neck, I'll feel much better.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beg3yrs
I came out of the video store last night and learned somewhat to my dismay that my '99 XK8 has likely been afflicted with the dreaded cam chain tensioner problem. I only say 'somewhat to my dismay' as I purchased this vehicle last October with a two-year zero deductible warranty, knowing full well this problem was likely to happen. This issue will be behind me and it didn't occur on the road trip I'm planning at the end of April.

Now to the real topic of this thread. There really aren't many XK8s running around Tucson and the tow-truck driver was working hard to take care of my baby. He was looking for something he called a tow bar which he claimed most cars from over the pond have. He pointed out an empty space in the spare tire compartment where he claimed the tow bar should have been.

My questions to all you experts out there (I'm sure most of you have had your own XK towed at some time) are: Is there such a thing as a tow bar for the XK8? If yes, how do you use it? Should you use it? And finally, where can I find one if it make sense?

Thanks to all of you in advance, this is a great forum!
The Rev is a hoot. also, the tow eye comes in two sizes, a 20mm and a 16 mm, make sue you measure the thread hole in the bumper beforeyou order. Nalley Jaguar can get one for you at a good price.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

You can find them on eBay every once in a while. Here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jaguar-S-Type-19...#ht_2440wt_905

I don't think that's the right one for the XK, though. It looks like it has left hand threads. The seller has a "buy it now" price of only $20. He obviously doesn't know that it's made of solid gold.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Speaking of funny... This thread nearly made me pee my pants: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...hlight=glasses Some of you might have missed it since it was in the Off Topic section. Trust me, it's worth the few minutes or so that it takes to read the thread.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! After a day like today.. i need to have that "chuckle" time!! Thanks for the link Rev!!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Smile Good humor

Thanks from me too. Needed a good laugh today.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Here's the original For Sale thread by motorcarman. After seeing his supply of tow eyes at his garage, I bet he's got one for you.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Here's the original For Sale thread by motorcarman. After seeing his supply of tow eyes at his garage, I bet he's got one for you.
Thanks for that. I've PM'd motorcarman and he does have a supply at a good price. I'm thinking I might have the tow eye after all - it might be attached to the rear bumper and I didn't know what I was seeing. The kitty is still at the vet right now (wasn't the cam chain tensioners but the fuel pump instead). When I get it back I'll double check. If I don't have it, a check is going to motorcarman right away!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

I've heard one xk owner actually had his welded on...so if it doesn't screw off (the opposite way of normal) than it may be permenantly affixed.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am missing the tow hook in my 2001 XKR. I see a few on e-bay and there seems to be two different ones: "M16 and M20" I cannot determine which one will fit my car. I even sent a message to the seller (a Jaguar dealer) on e-bay and they said they have no way of telling either?! They said the size will either be 16mm or 18mm. Can somebody shed some more light on this topic? Thanks

Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,980 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRCoupeMan
I am missing the tow hook in my 2001 XKR. I see a few on e-bay and there seems to be two different ones: "M16 and M20" I cannot determine which one will fit my car. I even sent a message to the seller (a Jaguar dealer) on e-bay and they said they have no way of telling either?! They said the size will either be 16mm or 18mm. Can somebody shed some more light on this topic? Thanks
Your car should be most likely M20. My 2001 XKR is.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
I've heard one xk owner actually had his welded on...so if it doesn't screw off (the opposite way of normal) than it may be permenantly affixed.
Early XKs have them attached to the trunk floor. I'm thinking up to the minor 2001 face lift.

It's tough to see but it's in the red square here:

I don't have any better pictures that show it. It's a loop with a brace that is flush with the edge of the trunk floor.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2002 is a 20mm. Nally Jaguar told me their parts book shows both 16mm and 20mm and no detail on which fits what model year XK8.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Pick up this M20 drain plug from Lowes, $2.98... process of elimination

Old 02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Default Aarrgh! - Be warned

Started this thread a year ago and worked with MotorCarMan to get a tow eye of the correct size for my car.
Some of you might remember my kitty got hit in the right rear quarter panel last April. It was disabled as the impact pushed the exhaust system into the RR tire (tyre for you in the UK). This was my first opportunity to use the tow eye and it was great.
However ... the collision repair shop lost it and had to get a replacement. I didn't give it another thought until today. Had a no crank problem and after diagnosis I eliminated the battery and wasn't in the mood to dig deeper, so off to the local indy. That means a tow. Well, turns out the replacement tow eye is the 20mm and doesn't fit! Had to pull it up on the flat bed with hooks on the frame.

Fortunately the collision shop stands by its work and will get a replacement.

Moral of the story - as Ronald Reagan said, "Trust but verify." Don't wait until you need the part to find out it is the wrong one!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Wow that must be a 'real pain in the neck'....but then he can't lose it in bed or the shower.

I think the Rev's solution of putting it on a chain is much better than the Frankenstein hook look.

Now I have to go and check mine....but I don't want to lose it either I am thinking super glue will be a lot less painful than welding it to my neck.

cheers,

jj

PS Has anyone ever seen a tow hitch on an XK?

Last edited by jamjax; 02-23-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,749 Likes on 12,142 Posts

Called 'towing eye' by the factory, these are covered in the Jaguar Dealer PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) Manual.

Export vehicles have three fitted for tying down in transit. Instructions to dealers are:

1. check that a towing eye, for owner use, is included with the jacking equipment in the trunk. If not, retain and stow the towing eye from the rear of the vehicle.

2. remove the rear towing eye. Note it has a left-hand thread and is unscrewed in a clockwise direction. Insert the protective bung in the towing eye fixing hole. Retain and stow the towing eye with the jacking equipment in the trunk.

3. remove the two front towing eyes. Note the towing eye has a left-hand thread and is unscrewed in a clockwise direction. Insert the protective bungs in the towing eye fixing holes
. Discard the towing eyes as waste material.

If you've ever wondered what the round black plastic plugs often to be found in the tool tray are for - they're the 'protective bungs'.

If you've ever tried fitting a towing eye a few years after the dealer hadn't fitted the protective bung, you'll also know why they need to be fitted.

Graham

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow Bar for XK8?