XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Traction control question

Whats does it do and how does it do it? Does Trac Off disable the antilock brakes?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

There are two versions of traction control, ASC and DSC depending on model year. Your XKR would have ASC. Turning off ASC does not disable the ABS system. The ABS system is always active.

Originally Posted by GGG
…ASC uses a combination of power reduction and individual wheel braking reduction (two control elements) to reduce wheelspin in slippery conditions.

DSC adds individual wheel brake application (three control elements) to this to control oversteer/understeer.

Other manufacturers have similar sytems often called ESC (Electronic Stability Control).

You can corner faster with DSC switched off. I've found on the 4.2 it does appear to activate more than ASC did on the 4.0 when the car is driven hard.

Graham
For a little more, check out this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dsc-off-70556/

Old 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
..........The ABS system is always active.
Keith,

It gets even more complicated! This is from the Driver's Handbook describing the situation in the event of ABS warning light being illuminated whilst driving:

ABS Monitoring
The ABS control module monitors ABS electrical system from ignition ON to switch OFF. Any malfunctioning will be indicated by the anti-lock warning light coming on.

Should a fault develop in the ABS system, the brake system will still operate conventionally and with the same standard of performance as vehicles not equiped with ABS.

Reassuring to know the brakes still work effectively with the warning illuminated.

Graham

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It's my understanding that ASC will apply braking &/or reduce power to specific wheels to prevent slipping or wheels turning at different speeds. I think.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

The second day I had the car I was accelerating fairly hard onto an autoroute and hit a patch of black ice on the slip road.
I did a similar thing once in a LWB Land Rover and went through God knows how many cycles of piling on opposite lock with each oscillation getting bigger until the DBS (Ditch Braking System) operated. I was fortunate that the more aggressive TBS wasn't available on that bit of road.
Anyway Madame Jaguar produced the most extraordinary series of grunts and snorts and sorted herself out pretty much before I had time to react.
My passenger was most impressed at my driving skills.
I think if it hadn't been for DSC I'd have pranged it.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
... I think if it hadn't been for DSC I'd have pranged it.

A great read! But, try as I may, I cannot parse TBS. Truck? Tree?

(I mentioned a few days back my own use of the WBS (woods) braking system with an old Saab. Effective, but tough on the paint.

Abby's guy: I think it's like this ...
- Early cars = ASC = can remove (pulse) braking to selected wheels or reduce throttle to keep rear end of car from overtaking front end of car.
- Later cars = DSC = can also apply braking in pursuit of same objective.

Someone please clean that up if I missed something.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07

A great read! But, try as I may, I cannot parse TBS. Truck? Tree?

(I mentioned a few days back my own use of the WBS (woods) braking system with an old Saab. Effective, but tough on the paint.

Abby's guy: I think it's like this ...
- Early cars = ASC = can remove (pulse) braking to selected wheels or reduce throttle to keep rear end of car from overtaking front end of car.
- Later cars = DSC = can also apply braking in pursuit of same objective.

Someone please clean that up if I missed something.
I missed your WBS - exactly the same but Tree BS!
I think you're right with your ASC/DSC. The car actually'steered' into the skid although the wheel was straight ahead which I guess requires selective wheel braking.