XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission "squawk" ( or "whoop")

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Transmission "squawk" ( or "whoop")

I've seen a lot of threads about the "whoop", or " transmission squawk" as Jag calls it, my transmission makes when downshifting, like when getting on the freeway.

Some say change the tranny fluid, or add an additive, (which apparently no longer exists). Some say let it be, it's not going to cause a problem. Others say they have it for tens of thousands of miles, no problems.

What's the general consensus out there?

Also, you think my extended warranty would cover this anyway? (bought the car used).

Thanks for any advice and Happy New Year!!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by mbates50
Some say change the tranny fluid, or add an additive, (which apparently no longer exists). Some say let it be, it's not going to cause a problem. Others say they have it for tens of thousands of miles, no problems.

What's the general consensus out there?
Consensus is a funny thing but if you want a democratic answer maybe a poll is in order. Fluid change or ignore are the only options available. I see the fluid change as maintenance that should be done anyway so don't see any reason not to do it.

Also, you think my extended warranty would cover this anyway? (bought the car used).
I imagine the warranty would cover ignoring the noise but a fluid change might be a tougher argument to make to the warranty company. OTOH, it shouldn't make that noise and if fresh fluid is the fix then it is at least a logical argument.

The following users liked this post:
mbates50 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

See this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...pensive-86449/

Supposedly the additive is back again with a new part number and a $200 a bottle price!

mbates50 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I had whoop.

Jaguar main dealer changed the transmission fluid and filter 18 months ago.

I now have less whoop (say, half what I had before), so I just drive carefully hoping the gearbox will last until I can afford a new one

mbates50 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I changed mine at 80K, using Shell ATF, no extra 'additive'. The fluid that came out looked perfect but the 'bark' drained out with it.
No flush or messing about, just 6L of new fluid.
Jaguar do say in their TSB that this is not a fault.

mbates50 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Jaguar do say in their TSB that this is not a fault.
I've heard this before, but it beggars the question as to why they should also provide a corrective additive.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
I've heard this before, but it beggars the question as to why they should also provide a corrective additive.
Well, being a cynical sort of cove, my hypothesis is that an additive is easier for Jaguar/Dealer than a fluid/filter change and it allows them to maintain the fiction (my words) that it is "not a fault". As such, and with the flawed but official party line that the box is "sealed and lubed for life" (which is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy) I can see no chance of any warranty company shelling out for a fluid/filter change.

I wasn't completely happy with Nessie's changes when I got her and when pressing hard in sport mode could coax her into the occasional squawk so decided to just get the fluid changed. Some litres of Millermatic later and the box is transformed, no squawk, changes are noticeably smoother and I'm very happy.

As ccfulton's wise words say, change the fluid (and filter) anyway as a maintenance item before resorting to snake oil.

Jim

mbates50 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

good thread - agree that the fluid change should be a maintenance item - find it odd that the JTIS maintenance schedule doesn't even address transmission fluid. Is this something a diy'er can accomplish with minimal risk or is it something better left for professionals? What would be a recommended interval (aside from waiting for the squawk or performance issues). I'm sitting at 106000 miles on my 2000 and have been considering this but may just take as an upcoming project.

Last edited by sklimii; 12-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Agree. Draining and refilling the ATF is a better course of action now than spending $200 for the additive. Keep in mind that there are other viable ATF options than the still-pricey-but-no-longer-astronomically-so Lifeguard 6. Forum members here have reported success with Castrol Multi-Import, Mobil One, Mercon SP, and other choices over the past couple of years or more....

mbates50 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Agree. Draining and refilling the ATF is a better course of action now than spending $200 for the additive. Keep in mind that there are other viable ATF options than the still-pricey-but-no-longer-astronomically-so Lifeguard 6. Forum members here have reported success with Castrol Multi-Import, Mobil One, Mercon SP, and other choices over the past couple of years or more....
Ford used the same transmission in a few of their cars and specified Mercon SP for the fluid. That's what I used when I changed the fluid in mine, and it worked like a champ with no whoop. Mercon SP is only $6 per quart at a Ford dealership.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I had the whooooop when I first bought my 2004 XK8 with 62k miles on it and the dealership changed the fluid and pan/filter, bolts and sleeve, but still had the noise, so they called around and found a bottle of the magic elixir at another dealership in the country, problem resolved. I know some here have said that the jag fluid may have this additive now already mixed in, IDK if that's fact and my dealer still had older fluid, or maybe not true, particularly if as said here there is a new part number. Anyhow, just my input.

mbates50 (12-30-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Ford used the same transmission in a few of their cars and specified Mercon SP for the fluid. That's what I used when I changed the fluid in mine, and it worked like a champ with no whoop. Mercon SP is only $6 per quart at a Ford dealership.
Rev Sam: I see you have a 2003XK8. Any problem with the Mercon SP for my 2006?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Rev Sam: I see you have a 2003XK8. Any problem with the Mercon SP for my 2006?
It's the exact same transmission, so it should be fine.

Having said that, here's my disclaimer: Jag says to only use the Jag/ZF fluid, so some people (people with money) will tell you to only use the liquid platinum stuff from the Jag dealer. Ford uses the exact same ZF 6HP26 transmission in the Lincoln Navigator and some other vehicles, and when they change transmission fluid they refill it with Mercon SP. If Ford uses Mercon SP in ZF 6HP26 transmissions, that's good enough for me. I don't need any more convincing. Of course, I also freeze off my own moles with air duster spray, glue cut skin together with super glue, and buy "Fish-Mox" amoxicillin and "Fish-Flex" cephalexin from the aquarium store (They are the EXACT SAME CAPSULES made in the EXACT SAME FACTORY!) Basically, I care less about risks than the average person, so I'm perfectly comfortable with Mercon SP.

My wife, on the other hand, would flip out if she had her transmission fluid changed and the shop used something other than the EXACT FLUID THAT WAS SPECIFIED BY THE MANUFACTURER. She'd worry herself sick wondering if the non-specified transmission fluid was going to ruin her transmission. She'd rather spend the extra money for the peace of mind than save a few hundred dollars by using something other than that which the factory specified. Right now her car is being reliably stopped by $30 Duralast brake pads that I bought at Advance Auto parts, but she thinks her car is being stopped by the $170 Mazda OEM brake pads. What she doesn't know won't hurt her, and I treated her to several nice dinners with the difference. If she knew I used inexpensive brake pads she'd have a nervous breakdown every time she drove her car.

Sooooo... If you're the kind of person who is going to worry continuously if you use the $6 Mercon SP, then you should probably spring for the expensive ZF fluid. But if you can throw caution to the wind and ENJOY using the $6 Mercon SP knowing that you just saved enough to pay for a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas, then use the Mercon SP and laugh in the face of danger! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Besides... Mercon SP meets the ZF specifications. That's why Ford uses it.

Johnken (02-10-2015)
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks, Rev. Hopefully this will get rid of the "squawk/whoop".

BTW, I am changing my lovely telescoping antenna to your You Tube version!

Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Rev. Hopefully this will get rid of the "squawk/whoop".

BTW, I am changing my lovely telescoping antenna to your You Tube version!
I just sent some PMs back and forth to another member who installed it the way I did but had a problem with reception. You can also install it in the hollow behind the rear bumper. Behind the CD changer rack there's a grommet that you can easily push the cable through. It goes down into the fender where you can connect the antenna cable to the dipole antenna. It's all easy to access from below. Just back the car up onto some ramps and you'll have easy access to everything, although you might have to remove the CD changer rack to access that grommet. Use some of that super-tacky, red, 3M double-sided tape to tape the antenna to the inside of the bumper. If I was going to do it all over again, that's probably what I'd do.

mbates50 (12-31-2012)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Mr Caution to the Wind recommends using the expensive NAME BRAND 3M tape. So much for Rev Dangerous...

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

It was left over from closing the abdomen when he did his own appendicectomy (see YouTube video)

Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
It's the exact same transmission, so it should be fine.

Having said that, here's my disclaimer: Jag says to only use the Jag/ZF fluid, so some people (people with money) will tell you to only use the liquid platinum stuff from the Jag dealer. Ford uses the exact same ZF 6HP26 transmission in the Lincoln Navigator and some other vehicles, and when they change transmission fluid they refill it with Mercon SP. If Ford uses Mercon SP in ZF 6HP26 transmissions, that's good enough for me. I don't need any more convincing. Of course, I also freeze off my own moles with air duster spray, glue cut skin together with super glue, and buy "Fish-Mox" amoxicillin and "Fish-Flex" cephalexin from the aquarium store (They are the EXACT SAME CAPSULES made in the EXACT SAME FACTORY!) Basically, I care less about risks than the average person, so I'm perfectly comfortable with Mercon SP.

My wife, on the other hand, would flip out if she had her transmission fluid changed and the shop used something other than the EXACT FLUID THAT WAS SPECIFIED BY THE MANUFACTURER. She'd worry herself sick wondering if the non-specified transmission fluid was going to ruin her transmission. She'd rather spend the extra money for the peace of mind than save a few hundred dollars by using something other than that which the factory specified. Right now her car is being reliably stopped by $30 Duralast brake pads that I bought at Advance Auto parts, but she thinks her car is being stopped by the $170 Mazda OEM brake pads. What she doesn't know won't hurt her, and I treated her to several nice dinners with the difference. If she knew I used inexpensive brake pads she'd have a nervous breakdown every time she drove her car.

Sooooo... If you're the kind of person who is going to worry continuously if you use the $6 Mercon SP, then you should probably spring for the expensive ZF fluid. But if you can throw caution to the wind and ENJOY using the $6 Mercon SP knowing that you just saved enough to pay for a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas, then use the Mercon SP and laugh in the face of danger! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Besides... Mercon SP meets the ZF specifications. That's why Ford uses it.
Hey Rev, meant to ask you. What could/will happen if I do nothing, and let the "whooop", keeping on whooping? Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Hey Rev, meant to ask you. What could/will happen if I do nothing, and let the "whooop", keeping on whooping? Thanks
There is no harm to ignoring it, but for maximum service life from your transmission a fluid drain and fill at around 50-60K miles would be very wise preventative maintenance and will also get rid of the noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Joanie (09-29-2014), mbates50 (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Mr Caution to the Wind recommends using the expensive NAME BRAND 3M tape. So much for Rev Dangerous...
I've tried the cheap stuff before and it just doesn't work. The red stuff (actually gray tape with a red jacket) is the stuff that's used to tape the moldings and stuff to the sides of the car. It can withstand 146 mile per hour winds. Yes, I've tested it.

I've also used it to tape the little GPS disks onto dashboards which the GPS suction cup sticks to. It can hold a GPS in place in the hot sun in a parked car in the middle of summer. Even the double-sided tape which came with the GPS couldn't do that. I totally trust the 3M tape.

Quick Reply: Transmission "squawk" ( or "whoop")