Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triple Crown Today with the 97!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Triple Crown Today with the 97!

Get in car, drive to near quick shop type of place, car running while I am in. All good. I get in and notice it aint running right. Display throwing Engine Faualt/Gearbox Fault/Traction control fault. Was running like on 1 cyl it seemed. If I turned of the Tract control the car would shut off.
Well my long run of no issues seem OVER. Lucky me, ha ha ha

Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you are now visiting the less appealing aspect of owning one of these temperamental beauties. Hope it turns out to be something minor.............
Brian

Old 09-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well it was the throttle body that was bad. New is 2100. Rebuild mine is 800. Well rebuild shop says mine is not rebuildable so next stop is a used one with 25k on it. I LOVE this car. ha ha ha

Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about this unexpected expense. Hope you find a used part for cheap.

With a throttle body failure, just what exactly is the issue or could it be one of several different issues? Is it a crack in the wall of the body or what. If these have the potential to be rebuilt, what components are in there to be replaced or repaired and what kind of damage makes the unit non-rebuildable?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Did yours ever get replaced under that TSB?

Look around, should be plenty of them floating around ebay or salvage yards. Try Ken at Motorcars LTD, he has an XKR in his salvage inventory, then check out car-part.com ... great site, nationwide!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Well my shop sourced the used part through some Jag network for parts. Has 25k miles on it. It is installed and she is driving just fine again. What ever they took apart with the TB had electronic components in it that go bad I was told. I was told it could be rebuilt but lucky me mine could not. So we rolled the dice with a low miles unit. I am a little pissed that they wrote crap on the parts like Junk Yards do. Looks STUPID withthat crazy marker pen they used. Anyway to take that crap off??? Solvent?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member

BACK to square one today. After new used 25k mile TB installed about 3 weeks ago car had been fine but then we had not been driving it much. Today I take it to work and it starts the ENGINE and TRAC CONTROL errors, no gearbox fault this time though. Motor rev in up and down, then sputtering, stubling, rev'n, back and forth.
This car is starting to get the best of me!!
Back to the shop. Starting to wonder if it is the TB causing the issues?????

Old 10-01-2010, 01:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you had ANY battery issues at all? Mine had erratic Trac/Engine lights then purrrfect for a bit, then start problems. Bad cell in my battery was the cause. New battery and cars been running like new! Just a thought.

-Tony

Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

any codes? Might be a misfire.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

I do not recall the codes they got the first time when this started but it was stuff that pointed to a bad TB. There were no codes for any type of miss fire. When this acted up yesterday AGAIN, I parked it and 30 min later it was running fine.
I asked them about the battery last time, they brushed that off. I think I will ask them to load test it this go round.
But it is way more then a misfire. It rev's up and down out of control, then stumbles around then revs up again. It is something electronic that is out of wack.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, my battery problem seemed like something else at first. Like I said earlier, the Traction control and ABS I believe were on and you couldn't drive the car. Let it set awhile, then poof! would start and run. Only after I was parked at my marina overnight, got in the next morning the car acted like the battery was dead. Of course I was a little panicky as I thought maybe the tensioner went and my engine was siezed! But I tried to start I again a few seconds later and suddenly it was fine. Then the windows started acting bizzare, going down about 2" each time I would open the door.

So I bought and replaced my battery with one from Auto Zone. After installing the new battery, the car temporarily acted as yours does now, surging/stalling/stumbling. I think the computer was adjusting to all the correct voltages etc. After a trip around the block it was perfectly fine and has been up to this point several weeks later.

Also, I had them test my old battery which actually tested fine on the test stand Auto Zone had, but cells can be touchy. Thats why it would be intermittant. I believe you problem could still be as simple as a bad battery. Let hope its that simple. Good luck!!

-Tony

Old 10-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I do not know much about the specifics of the throttle body problems on the older models but there are 2 things I wonder about: (1) to my knowledge, a throttle body is basically a hunk of metal with a bore and a butterfly--much much less complicated than a carburetor so what could possibly go wrong (2) given the simplicity of these things (hunk of metal, etc.) why should they cost more than a couple of hundred dollars to replace? I seem to recall that carburetors, which are much more complicated were not all that much to replace.

Doug

Old 10-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

my shop told me there are electronic components in them that could go bad.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
my shop told me there are electronic components in them that could go bad.
So how much could a damn circuit board cost these days? You can by 2 large screen plasma tv sets for what a Jaguar throttle body costs!.

Doug

Old 10-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member

My shop said the replacement unit for my 97 from Jag was 2100 bucks. I am going to push them to look at the battery.
To me it makes no sense at all for TWO TB's to do the same friggin thing.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

What is sending messages to the TB to make it would as it would?? Computer taking to it? What?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well shop has the car, they say the USED TB is bad.
The charging system/batt is good. Before and while car was running bad today they had testing equip on the car and charging system and battery had prop reading, did not dip below limits.
He plugged in his testing equip to read the Jag components, read the trans, abs, all the stuff his testing equip could read. He also looked at the OBDII stuff and no codes there either. Essentially the friggin car is throwing NO codes to work from on any system of the car other then the ENGINE FAULT AND TRAC CONTROL stuff that comes up on the odom read out.
Makes no sense how NO CODES from any system on the car show a damn thing yet the car runs like this off and on.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

that doesn't make any sense...a CEL on w/o any codes is just unbelievable

Old 10-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I suggest doing a thorogh investigation of the harness to the TB. There can be corrosion in the contacts to the throttle position sensor that can cause this problem. Others have found broken studs on the plugs that let them fit too loosely. You might just need a harness. There is a TSB on these thhat explains that some harnesses had tin connector coatings whne they should be gold. Thsi problem can also be sporadic so th econector and wires have to be wiggled while testing. The fact that two TB's have caused the same problem tells me that you might not have replaced the right thing.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

There were no CEL lights. The odom read out just shows the Engine Fault and TRAC CONTROL fault and last time also the gearbox default message. They say they use some type of tester that Jag uses and no codes were found and going thru OBDII port no codes there either.
I agree that two TB's doing the same thing seems too odd. Sadly I am limited in shops to take the car too. I rather not go dealer on this one. We shall give it another TB, won't cost me anything.

Quick Reply: Triple Crown Today with the 97!