Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triple Crown Today with the 97!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
I suggest doing a thorogh investigation of the harness to the TB. There can be corrosion in the contacts to the throttle position sensor that can cause this problem. Others have found broken studs on the plugs that let them fit too loosely. You might just need a harness. There is a TSB on these thhat explains that some harnesses had tin connector coatings whne they should be gold. Thsi problem can also be sporadic so th econector and wires have to be wiggled while testing. The fact that two TB's have caused the same problem tells me that you might not have replaced the right thing.
where can I find this TSB??

Old 10-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

Well the shop just called, next TB will be in Thurs. I asked about the harness, they did check that, appeared fine. I think when I get it back and it is "running" I will fillde with things to see if it acts up again.
I am just not convinced it is the TB.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

The TB is acting funny when it does this, revs up on it's own, then stumbles on it's own, then revs real high again. Why would the other things like ENGINE FAULT, TRACT CONTROL, or GEARBOX FAULT show up on the odom display?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I do not know much about the specifics of the throttle body problems on the older models but there are 2 things I wonder about: (1) to my knowledge, a throttle body is basically a hunk of metal with a bore and a butterfly--much much less complicated than a carburetor so what could possibly go wrong (2) given the simplicity of these things (hunk of metal, etc.) why should they cost more than a couple of hundred dollars to replace? I seem to recall that carburetors, which are much more complicated were not all that much to replace.

Doug
Acutally, the throttle body is fairly complex, it includes a throttle position sensor and a stepper motor assembly that operates the throttle butterfly based on input from the pedal to the Trac module. The ABS system is tied to it as well as the traction control module. The traction control takes over the throttle in attitude situations and actually operates the throttle plate in certain circumstances. One of the problems with the throttle body is that the Denso TPS on the throttle body is what is failing prematurely and the part is not available separately, requiring a new TB. I think commercial rebuilders can get it, just not shade tree guys. If the problem is not the TPS, it's usually a bad harness connector. If I had a bad throttle body, I would send it to BBA Reman, get it rebuilt for a couple hundred and reinstall it.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmots
Acutally, the throttle body is fairly complex, it includes a throttle position sensor and a stepper motor assembly that operates the throttle butterfly based on input from the pedal to the Trac module. The ABS system is tied to it as well as the traction control module. The traction control takes over the throttle in attitude situations and actually operates the throttle plate in certain circumstances. One of the problems with the throttle body is that the Denso TPS on the throttle body is what is failing prematurely and the part is not available separately, requiring a new TB. I think commercial rebuilders can get it, just not shade tree guys. If the problem is not the TPS, it's usually a bad harness connector. If I had a bad throttle body, I would send it to BBA Reman, get it rebuilt for a couple hundred and reinstall it.

So the real problem is not the "hunk of metal" but the various electronic components that are attached to it. Given how cheap computers and electronic devices are these days, it seems like it should honestly cost about 25 bucks for the parts that make up the throttle position sensor and stepper motor. The real problem seems to be not being able to get these electronic components separately from the throttle body and/or ridiculously high prices for the components. I believe the TPS for the throttle body on my Corvette was available separately for a pretty reasonable price so why is this not the case for the Jag?

Doug

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Most likely (just guessing), the TPS is not available separately because it has to be adjusted with the Jag dealer computer when installed. The TPS on the car has its mounting bolts painted over which tells me that they are adjustable. It would seem to us that one could just use trial and error to adjust it but we have to remember that Federal emissions control requirements mean the thing has to be set accurately according to the manufacturer.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

The TPS on the pre-1995 Corvettes were adjustable but the one on mine (and later) were not adjustable. For the older ones, the adjustment could be simply performed by anyone with a volt meter and was not rocket science. For the later (nonadjustable) one, the computer would sense the closed position and adjust the baseline voltage to the TPS based on that (I believe that you could check for correct operation by using a volt meter to chekc the voltage at close position, which I believe was about 0.5 volts and then again at WOT which was a different value--or I may have that backwards). In any case, there was NO need to make any manual adjustment since this was taken care of by the onboard computer. Hence, the screws to mount the TPS were just that, mounting screws and NOT adjusting screws.

Doug

Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Well the orig tb was attempted to be rebuilt but failed the companies bench test. So they just got another used one and that is the latest to fail. If this next being installed today acts up i am getting my $$$ back and she will sit for the winter and be addressed next spring. I have too many other irons in the fire to keep throwing $$ at the car right now. Basement resto, another car repair needed, holidays coming up.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

fingers crossed on this next one!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

could it be another component that talks to the TB that is sending a MIXED message to it so to speak??

Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

The TB gets its information from the ECM. You may need to get it looked at. The throttle motor and TPS both talk to the ECM, they are directly connected. I suggest going to dealer for that diagnosis.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

The device/machine they use is one that has a JAG program to look at this car as well as other jags. He says all codes that have been thrown are TB related. Nothing else on the car is throwing codes. So the next TB should be installed tomorrow. He says the TB messing up is what has thrown the traction control, engine fault, and gearbox faults when it started acting up. WHen the car is runnign fine, which it does after sitting, they put it on the tester and there are no codes. OBDII as I have said is throwing no codes.
Its hard to beleibe the throttle positioner sensor, trac controll sensors are all in that damn TB and once the start acting up, you get my issue. Sucks that when they go the whole TB is toast, cant replace just the one part.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well no luck with TB #3. Ran like **** the moment it was put on the car. She is coming home for the winter. I spring we will be able to afford (priority in how $$ is used at the dollar range) a new one!!

Old 10-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

This can not be a TB issue. Mine and two others failing. I am scared to buy a NEW one and it not be the fix.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

What other years/makes does this TB come on other then my car?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

what was the recall for on the TB for the 97? I assume any Jag dealer can tell me if mine was repaired?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

This issue I am facing must be rare? Not seeing to many of the techy guys chiming in on this one. I feel alone in the wilderness. Ha ha ha

Old 10-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am trying to get a fix on your problem and I am not sure what it is so I will try to provide you a little information on the TB recall. This information should help a little http://www.xclusively-jaguar.co.uk/xj04_fandi.html#5 I have this link http://www.jaytanindustriesinc.com/ on my page for rebuilt TB and they may be in a position to help you understand what you have going on with it. The question is what you are having a problem with. Now as for the TB plugs the TSB is 303-58, now you may ask if this is the problem? We had several plug problems without this P0121 code. Cleaning first will only help. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepTB.htm
I would like to help but your problem is diluted in all the posts. Do you have or did you have codes and what are they and what is it doing now?

Last edited by Gus; 10-14-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,145 Likes on 751 Posts

After three TBs you must look elsewhere. TB harness or try a new battery, the symptoms are classic electrical, no codes ever found either.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

They got codes that said it was the TB which I don't know what they are at this point. They checked the battery, it was fine, showed good output. If it were the battery would that not make the car act odd in other ways also? I have seen threads here about how it can do other things that my car has not presented. Does not mean the battery has a short or dead cell thay acts up.
At this point it is back home. Maybe I will throw a battery in it soon and see if it fixes it. I tend to agree that the issue is something diff since two other TB's did not work, did the same thing.
I think when I get a chance I will start it and stat fiddling with the harness and see if it makes it go bonkers. I just hate to start throwing harneses, batteries, TB's, and lord knows what else to fix it.

Quick Reply: Triple Crown Today with the 97!