Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk fuse box and relays...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Trunk fuse box and relays...

Good day all!!!

I am new to this amazing forum and I have learned sooooooo much from all you great enthusiasts already...

A little about me... I'm retired Army... I've been working on cars longer than the Army had me employed and consider myself more than the average mechanic... That being said, I still tend to run into situations where I can't, for the life of me, figure out someone else's great idea... For example and the reason I'm writing this book... The fuse box in the trunk of my new (to me) blue 99 convert was totally taken apart... The fuse tray was off the mounting plastics and all the relays were pulled from their original locations... I've searched high and low (on here and elsewhere), but I can't figure out why I only have four of the five relay plugs... There should be top up, top down, fuel pump #2, windows open L/R, windows closed L/R... Additionally, I can't figure out which one is missing due to wiring color codes not matching... Frustrating... And this is just one of the hundred or so issues I'm having... I'm getting engine and gearbox faults, there are no hoses to the locking block for the roof, the shifter is in pieces, speakers were taken out and wiring cut, bolts are missing from everywhere, seats weren't bolted in, hydraulic top oil is everywhere........ The list goes on... Thank God for this forum and all you experienced individuals concerning these cars!!!

I have to post a few more times before I can post pictures (I think)... I will post a lot of pictures soon...

Thanks for your time!!

Cheers!!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bluexk8ragtop
Good day all!!!

I am new to this amazing forum and I have learned sooooooo much from all you great enthusiasts already...

A little about me... I'm retired Army... I've been working on cars longer than the Army had me employed and consider myself more than the average mechanic... That being said, I still tend to run into situations where I can't, for the life of me, figure out someone else's great idea... For example and the reason I'm writing this book... The fuse box in the trunk of my new (to me) blue 99 convert was totally taken apart... The fuse tray was off the mounting plastics and all the relays were pulled from their original locations... I've searched high and low (on here and elsewhere), but I can't figure out why I only have four of the five relay plugs... There should be top up, top down, fuel pump #2, windows open L/R, windows closed L/R... Additionally, I can't figure out which one is missing due to wiring color codes not matching... Frustrating... And this is just one of the hundred or so issues I'm having... I'm getting engine and gearbox faults, there are no hoses to the locking block for the roof, the shifter is in pieces, speakers were taken out and wiring cut, bolts are missing from everywhere, seats weren't bolted in, hydraulic top oil is everywhere........ The list goes on... Thank God for this forum and all you experienced individuals concerning these cars!!!

I have to post a few more times before I can post pictures (I think)... I will post a lot of pictures soon...

Thanks for your time!!

Cheers!!
Wow. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

One bit of good news, that one relay in the trunk box is missing as it comes from the factory. It is for an aux power accessory outlet connector which was once available as an add on option. Do not be concerned with it.

Only 99 issues left.

Do you have an OBDII reader to decipher the fault codes?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

[QUOTE=bluexk8ragtop;551479]Additionally, I can't figure out which one is missing due to wiring color codes not matching... Frustrating... And this is just one of the hundred or so issues I'm having...

You say you have a 99 model, but I wonder if it's a 00 MY. The wiring colours changed significantly at that time and it's unusual for Jaguar diagrams to be too far out! In saying this I'm referring to the diagrams in JTIS. Try the later diagrams - or ealier, depending on which one's wrong!

Old 07-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Okay... I was looking at the wiring diagram and I thought it was a fuel pump #2 relay...

Here is a pic of the fuse box... I didn't realize it was blurry until I viewed it on my computer... This is also a first attempt at posting pics...

Name:  PICT3242.jpg
Views: 8115
Size:  103.2 KB

Thanks much!! 99 more issues to go... I do have a code reader (actually three), but they are on a slow boat in the middle of the ocean with all the rest of my belongings...

I will post all my other pics in another thread if this one works...

Thanks again!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Will not hold the army against you! Air Force brat!! Father and father in-law. Son currently active duty in Korea USAF. Posted on your other thread, will be glad to meet you and put the xk8 side by side. Jim

Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 3078
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey ragtop

I have manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features
sorry for the delay and hope it helps.....

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by bluexk8ragtop
Okay... I was looking at the wiring diagram and I thought it was a fuel pump #2 relay...

Thanks much!! 99 more issues to go... I do have a code reader (actually three), but they are on a slow boat in the middle of the ocean with all the rest of my belongings...
So you bought this project to keep you busy while the boat chugs along

The relay numbering in the manual illustration is sometimes all "1" as if someone forgot to edit the template.

Using the orientation of your picture, the numbers are as follows:

Code:
__7__
__6__
__5__
__4__
1_2_3

Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 XK8-convertable

My alternator burned out. I replaced it, engine runs fine, charging battery. All fuses seem fine. The top no longer operates, no reverse lights, no radio, no antena, no trunk opener, no rear windows, no gas latch, no horn, no door locks.
All other lights work, and all instruments, fan...
Is the problem with the relays? How do I test a relay.

Thank you, Erik.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

When you say the alternator went bad was it just not charging or was it over charging and boiling the battery. I would suspect that you have a fuse problem. First remove the boot liners and check the HIGH Voltage fuses in the boot. If one of them is blown it would shut off half the power to the distribution system. With the vehicle running remove the relays for the power to the top. Using a multi-meter check to make sure you have 12 volts on the terminal providing power to the relay. If you have power you can jumper to the function side of the relay and see if it operates. E.G. window down relay. Does it go down. If so the relay is bad.
Follow the link below and download the 1998 ectrical guide it will help in troubleshooting.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar XK8 1998-Conv

Thank you for your reply. I found and checked all three HV fuses and they are intact. They vehicle would drain out the battery in about 3 days. I put a new battery in and it did the same thing. I let it sit for a week, and came back in and turned the key. The wipers went on , without activating them, as did the headlights. Nothing else worked. No instruments, no accessories. I pulled the alternator, bench checked it, and found it was dead shorted. I bought a new alternator, installed it, vehicle started up fine. alternator out put at battery circa 14 volts. Car runs and drives well (100 miles). No warning lights shown. Reverse, radio, antenna, trunk latch, rear windows, (front okay), gas latch, horn. door locks, valet, and Convertible dead. I checked all fuses using a contact light. I pulled some of the relays and was able to apply voltage and hear them click. No horn, but I can hear the relay clicking when I push the contact on the steering wheel. What would you suggest next. Car has 130,000 miles and has performed very well.