XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tucked in for winter

Old 11-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Tucked in for winter

Had the oil changed this morning and put her in the garage for the winter. Battery tender hooked up. Fuel tank topped off, fuel stabiliser in , tires at 40 psi, windows open a bit.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Good luck. When does the snow start flying in your neck of the woods?

Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM

It has usually started by now but we have been lucky so. Lots of frost in the mornings and ice in the puddles. The trigger for me is when the council starts using salt. That started yesterday.....so she got stored today 😀😘

Old 11-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Mine's tucked in for the winter too.
I gave her a thorough wash and shine when it was 4C, must be love.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:25 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Storing with full tank

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
Had the oil changed this morning and put her in the garage for the winter. Battery tender hooked up. Fuel tank topped off, fuel stabiliser in , tires at 40 psi, windows open a bit.
Barry, gasoline should never be stored for several months. iIt does go bad. Various compounds react with oxygen, or get digested by microbes, or absorb water from the air. Lots of things can go wrong and additives can be evaporated just by sitting there. Over time, the lightest components will evaporate off and the average molecular weight will get heavier. This will make the fuel harder to ignite in your engine, and will cause gum and gunk to leave solution as solids. Some of the hydrocarbons in the fuel react with oxygen to produce new compounds, almost all of them worse than what you started with When I store mine I only leave a 1/4 tank of gas in it. You might have a chance of getting some water from evaporation, but just add a bit of alcohol and when ready to drive again you start with fresh gas.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:16 PM

Mirage, I see that you are in California. I imagine that it stays quite warm there most of the time. I am out in the north Atlantic where it may not break double digit temperatures from about now until next April. Everyone ho stores a petrol engine machine around here makes sure that the tank is as full as we can make it. The fuel does not break down much because of the cold, lack of air in a very full tank and stabilising chemicals added ( both by the local fuel dealers in winter and buy owners when they store their machines. A much bigger risk here is condensation inside a partially empty tank. Thanks for the input though.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 PM

It looks as if you might have a different situation, you probably even have a better grade of gas. In California we are running 10% ethanol year round. This is bad for any rubber in the fuel system. Watch this, give you an idea what we have to face when it comes to storing gas here. This is why I never store it with a full tank.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Here we go again, except that this winter I'm not going o play the sillySatan ethanol rumour game.

Wev'e had E10 here or over 20 years ands no on has reported anything like the above.

i'v lost all respect for Leno.

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (11-24-2017)
Old 11-23-2017, 02:07 PM

How can you lose respect for a guy that has an emotional attachment to Jaguar. In 2010 he went around the world to auto show promoting the Jag XK and the company. He even purchased one for himself, custom ordered it at the factory and drove it for years as his personal car. I will agree that climate can make a difference in gas. Here I store mine between June and September at it get way too hot. Right now it's 93 degrees F. Makes for an interesting discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 02:18 PM

There is no ethanol at all in the fuel up here.......so it's not an issue. But we often get temperature fluctuations of -20c to +5-7c in 24 hours along with lots of wet snow or freezing rain, plus there's lots of sea salt in the air from the prevailing winter NE wind....so condensation is what we are concerned about

Old 11-23-2017, 02:26 PM

Here I store mine between June and September
LoL I just noticed that comment......we have some years up here when that's the only time period that you get to take machines OUT of storage

Old 11-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Tucker
There is no ethanol at all in the fuel up here.......so it's not an issue.

'fraid that's not true probably,just not in your '91 octane though.``````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````

Old 11-23-2017, 06:30 PM

This might be of some interest. I just received a email from Hagerty Forums regarding tips for winter storage.
https://forums.hagerty.com/t/mythbus...l-storage/5510

Old 11-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

The concerns and old advice regarding the fuel in the tanks applies to the older cars without pressurized tanks where you are limiting surface area contacting the atmosphere. It also applies currently to many marine applications. The ethanol in these situations has greater contact with the atmospheric water vapor and being hydrophilic will cause that phase separation that concerns everyone along with condensation causing corrosion. In a modern car stored for a season, you could do nothing other than park it. Perhaps in a brutally cold environment or a non-pressurized tank, add some stabilizer that addresses ethanol. Once you are going past a year of storage in a modern car, add good stabilizers and ethanol protection product. Also this is where premium fuel is useful as over time the octane rating does deteriorate. For older cars with open fuel systems the best advice is an empty tank, although you must accept that some flexible parts will dry out. Some people use aviation gas or special no ethanol gas with stabilizer for these issues although i do not like the former due to the fact that it often has lead based additives.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:04 AM

Mikey.......around here they have to advertise on the pump if there is any ethanol added to fuel. Irving is the only supplier that "may have" ethanol. I never use Irving gas in the Jag