XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

under seat space

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default under seat space

I am about to put a new stereo in my XK8 and was thinking about installing a low profile subwoofer. They are about 3" thick and was wondering about putting under the drivers seat. Has anyone done that before? Just curious.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

No never heard of this. Do you think one could get a decent volume level out of such a small enclosure?

Don't take it wrong, trying to keep an open mind. Just been my experience that low frequencies need large enclosures.

Unfortunately size matters with subs. On 1 hand look at the size of your eardrum, it produces 20hz just fine, but (there's always a but right?) You've got to move a lot of air to achieve good volume levels in a noisy environment.

I wonder if you could get even more room under the back seat, I've never looked.

Well Dr fix it, it'd be terrific if you found something that sounds good at that size, but I can't imagine how an enclosure that size could really provide volume levels that will help. This is one time that physics is against convenience for us audiophiles.

If you feel like it, please tell us more about these speakers' design. It'd be interesting.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:14 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Mine's a coupe so I don't have particular knowledge but others will. According to the workshop manual the convertible has subwoofers already in the rear quarter panel speakers. Could it be easier to upgrade those?

Old 09-29-2017, 12:19 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts
Old 09-29-2017, 03:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.fixit
I am about to put a new stereo in my XK8 and was thinking about installing a low profile subwoofer. They are about 3" thick and was wondering about putting under the drivers seat. Has anyone done that before? Just curious.
I'm curious about where you're going to find the necessary 3" under the driver's seat .......

Graham

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I am with GGG in this, I cannot even get the rear floor mats to clear the front seats when they go back. May seem obvious, but my 2001 convert and 2006 coupe both have the OEM alpine sound systems and both have factory subwoofers. It took me a couple of months to find the equalizer controls to turn them on. The subwoofers won't rattle windows in the neighborhood, but they will make the OEM sound systems worthy of the cats. (Hint: push the "mode" button and scroll through the audio settings which are adjusted with the volume knob.) In the coupe, there is a single speaker (subwoofer?) on the package shelf in back seat area. Need someone really small to get back there, but you can access from the trunk. r

Last edited by JRabbit; 10-04-2017 at 11:09 PM. Reason: correction
The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-05-2017)
Old 10-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There is too much stuff under the front seats. Module plus motors and pumps. I would suggest under the rear seats, but I haven't taken mine out yet so I don't know what kind a space clearance under them. I suppose you could find a way to raise the seats so you could throw in decent subs with big magnets. Since no normal human can sit back there, raised seats wouldn't be a social faux pas.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The speakers should be no profile rather than low profile because that describes the available space! Good luck but by from a merchant with a liberal return policy.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got little 6.5" JL subs in the walls back there. Not great but better than the stock speakers. One way of getting decent power and a sub is try the self powered units. Easy to run the wires from the battery to your back seat. And just leave it on the seat itself. If you leave the top down or are nervous of people seeing it on the seat, just unhook it and put it in the trunk. But remember, the wires will be live, so always make sure they are protected from burning anything down. You could easily hook up a battery kill switch inline to be fire safe. Yeah a hassle always moving it, but good sound or crappy sound means a bit of effort lol. If I had a coupe I'd just take out the back seat and put whatever monster subs in the trunk facing forward.