XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the JTIS with Windows 7

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Using the JTIS with Windows 7

Apparently the JTis, Issue 21 will not run on a computer running Windows 7. I checked with relaxzone8 who has it on sale at ebay.

Does anyone know if there is some kind of computer fix/patch to solve this problem?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I don't think there is. I had to install the JTIS on my work computer because it is still running XP. My personal Vista machine won't run it. I saw a JTIS for sale on eBay and the ad specifically said it worked on Windows 7 and XP. According to the eBay ad it was a newer, better version that had much more info than the JTIS that only works on XP and earlier.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I haven't tried the JTIS on my Windows 7 computer yet (I usually run it from my laptop) but if you have the pro version of Windows 7 there is a Windows XP mode (seperate from the normal XP compatibility mode, it runs a virtual copy of XP) that may do the trick. One of these days I'll give it a try.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Here's the link to the one on eBay that says it works with all versions of Windows. Their ad is somewhat convincing, but it could be all hype. At the very bottom is the comment about "all windows".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...item563dec3faa

I'm tempted to buy it for $26. Maybe I'll just wait for someone else to buy it and tell me if it's any good.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It works fine using XP Mode on Windows 7.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

My JTIS works fine on Vista.

Despite all the words on that eBay listing it appears to be a plain vanilla copy of JTIS v.21.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My JTIS works fine on Windows 7 without any need for compatibility modes. However I'm running the 32bit version, I've heard lots of people having trouble getting it working on 64bit Win7.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Right click on the ICON that starts the JTIS and go to properties. Find the Compatibility tab and use differnt setting until it runs fine. Maybe a memory issue or resource issue with some running fine and some not. All computers are not created equal!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm running Vista small business edition(32 bit) and it works for me. I stayed away from any 64 bit versions because I have a lot of software that I use that is not compatible with 64 bit.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 PM

I have Win 7 Home Premium which is 64 bit. For $90 I can get an upgrade to Professional which is able to run as an XP 32-bit system which would then work with the JTIS version 21. Worth thinking about, compared to one visit to a repair shop ( or 1/3 of a visit to the dealer??)

Sam you are a damn cheapskate!!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jhenryr

LOL! I have my work computer turned on 24 hours per day. The only time it's not on is when I'm driving, and even then it's on sometimes! I'm not going to spend money to upgrade to Windows 7 when it's not necessary.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the disk off eBay so I can try it out. I've got computers running Vista and Windows 7. When the disk arrives, I'll try it on both and see what gives...

Dave

Old 07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenryr
I have Win 7 Home Premium which is 64 bit. For $90 I can get an upgrade to Professional which is able to run as an XP 32-bit system which would then work with the JTIS version 21. Worth thinking about, compared to one visit to a repair shop ( or 1/3 of a visit to the dealer??)

I beleive its not the JTIS program itself that is the problem, but the fact that when you install JTIS it also installs an old Microsoft database component called ODBC35 that JTIS needs, but is not compatible with 64 bit OS's.

The whole $90 cost to run Microsoft XP under windows 7 thing is a total rip-off, especially if you already have an XP CD lying around.

All Microsoft are selling you for $90 is whats called a virtual machine. There are several out there that are both better/faster than Microsoft's, and also free to download and use as long as its only for personal not commercial use.

The 2 most notable ones are Virtual Box ( http://www.virtualbox.org ) and vmware ( http://www.vmware.com ). Personally I prefer virtual box but they're basically identical in concept.

Just download and install one of those, then install 32-bit XP under it. Whenever you run it you''l get a window (like any other program) but with an XP desktop running inside it. Whenever you have any software (like JTIS) that won't run on your native system, just run your virtual machine and install/use your JTIS there instead. Total cost $0.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-14-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM

JustNiz, It looks like you may have saved me, and others, $90.00, for which I thank you. However you are going too fast/ assuming too much about my computer skills.
Just to give you an idea back in about 1972 I rebuilt a Sunbeam Alpine engine ( The lady of the house came home reporting that it was making a lot of noise, so she hurried!!)

On the virtualbox web site I am guessing that I down load Virtualbox 3.26 for Windows Host.

Then What?? Thanks, jhenryr, AKA Old Geezer!

Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

No problem! I'm no spring chicken myself actually (47).

Install Virtual Box:
-----------------
Download the latest version from their website (choose the one for Windows hosts). You should end up with a file called something like VirtualBox-3.2.6-63112-Win.exe. Run it to install virtual box.
Don't change any setup options, just ok/agree to everything ( Windows will complain about 12 times that it is installing an unsigned network driver thats ok too, just accept each popup).
After its installed, you should run it (an icon for it should have appeared on your desktop called "Oracle VM virtualbox", double-click it).

Setup a VM
-----------
The first time through only, you need to set up a "virtual hard drive" (actually just a big file) to install XP to. To do this, click the blue star icon labelled "New".
A setup wizard pops up, click it's next button to get to page 2.
Page 2:
Enter a name for your new VM (I used "MyXP", it can be anything meaningful to you, it doesn't affect anything).
The "Operating System" settings should already be defaulted to MS Windows, and Windows XP. Hit the "Next" button at the bottom.
Page 3:
You see a slider to select the amount of base memory that your VM will use. Go with the recommended memory size or you can make it bigger for better performance if you have a PC with several Gigabytes of RAM installed. Hit "Next".
Page 4:
Make sure "Boot Hard Disk" is checked and "Create new hard disk" option is selected. Click "Next" twice.
Page 6:
I reccomend choosing the default "dynamically expanding storage" here. Your VM disk file will grow as it needs to rather than starts off being big. Its basically a very slight performance tradeoff that saves disk space until you need it. Select your preference and click next.
Page 7:
Just allows you to say where and how big the VM should be. The defaults are usually OK so just click "Next". click "Finish" to check your settings and actually create your VM.
Once the wizard finishes creating your VM (maybe 5 seconds) it exits. You should be back at the main screen with your new VM already selected and two more icons active now: "Settings" and "Start". Click Start. Read and OK the warning about "capture keyboard" if you get one.

Installing XP to your running VM
------------------------------
You should now be looking at the "First run" wizard which helps you install XP to your VM. Click "Next". Put your XP CD in your computer's CD drive and select your CD drive letter as the media source. Click "Finish". You should see XP begin to install... follow the XP installation instructions and you're done. Take your XP CD out, no need for that to be in the drive any more.

DONE!!!! (now install JTIS)
--------
Now everytime you need to run something under 32 bit XP, you can just run virtual box, click start and you will get an XP desktop running in a window. Install your JTIS there, it will work fine. Now pat yourself on the back for mastering a currently very trendy computer technology and for also having completely avoided $90 of Microsoft's devious "now pay us extra for a working version" tax.

Feel free to go and tweak the system settings of your VM by clicking the settings button to access many settings to improve performance, but its not really necessary to mess with it as the defaults are usually already fine for most home uses.

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-15-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the great instructions JustNix.

PS, you have to be getting social security to gualify as an 'Old Geezer'

Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM

I think I have a problem. When I got down to 'Installing XP to your running VM' I learned that I appear to need a bootable XP CD, which I do not have. I can probably find a friend still running a computer on XP but if I try to use their program discs wont Microsoft security stop me from using it??

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes you need a proper licensed copy of a bootable XP install CD.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
The whole $90 cost to run Microsoft XP under windows 7 thing is a total rip-off, especially if you already have an XP CD lying around.
True...but there is more to 7 Pro than just XP mode.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KEEP YOUR MONEY!

The JTIS CDROM from eBay doesn't work on either Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

Too bad I don't have a computer running XP, but I don't... ::sigh::

Still trying to figure out how to take apart my Recaro seats...had such high hopes when I got the disk in the mail today!

Dave

Quick Reply: Using the JTIS with Windows 7