XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Leak Drivers Door 2005/6 XKR-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Water Leak Drivers Door 2005/6 XKR-S

My 2005/6 XKR-S Coupe has a water leak by the driver's side door during heavy rain. It's shown in the photos - arrow A is where the dark grey fabric covered trim on the body starts getting soggy and this goes all the way down to the bottom of it. It's perfectly dry above my finger.

The door cheater seal (arrow B and the other rubber section to the left of it under the letter C ) has been changed for a new one but made no difference.

I can't see any defects in the door aperture edge finisher above this that goes round the body and of course that's the very expensive one. I get the impression it may be coming from above somewhere though. I probably need to sit in the car while someone power jets it?

Any ideas from anyone who has seen this? I can't see one but is there somewhere that could be blocked by debris? The (intentional) hole in the body seal is clear.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Water Leak Drivers Door 2005/6 XKR-S-jaguar-xkr-s-2006-leak-seal.jpg  

Last edited by frostykitty; 05-20-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum frostykitty,

285 Views and 0 Replies! Surely someone has a theory.

You need to find out where the water is getting in and why it's not draining out. My first suspect for water ingress would be the Door Waist Rail which can corrode badly.

Water Leak Drivers Door 2005/6 XKR-S-waist-rail.jpg

From your photo of where water is coming out, the drain holes in the bottom of the door frame could be blocked.

Removing the door card before you sit in the car with someone hosing the outside should make it easier to spot.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-22-2016, 03:53 PM

Thanks. I have posted an introduction!

No, the doors are perfectly dry.

I have found it now and it was coming from above as I guessed. I'll post some pics and description in a few days when I get a moment.

Last edited by frostykitty; 05-22-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:42 AM

Okay the leak is now hopefully fixed. Anyone with the same problem who doesn't want to fork out £283 for a new door aperture edge finisher seal can hopefully follow this guide! One nice big pic so it should be easy to follow the description.

As I surmised, the water was coming in from above the point it was getting wet, not from below (if you look at the original post and image, there is an inset at top left that shows water above the wet point).

In the door aperture seal at just before the point where it ends (Image A) there is a hole/pipe moulded into the rubber (arrow 1). Image B shows a close up from above. Arrow 2 shows that the path the pipe takes to direct the water out at arrow 3 where it runs down the A pillar and out onto the sill.

In image C, I've filled a syringe with water and put the nozzle in the hole and pressed gently. You can see water coming out in several places, one where it should and one where it shouldn't. Pressing the syringe harder results (image D) in even more unwanted rivulets, the one that's causing the problem being at far left, right next to the trim that is thus getting wet further down when it is vertical, as is likely the sill and floor!

Just to check I did the syringe exercise on the passenger side which is dry and that comes out where it apparently should.

Something is either split or perished behind the path of the exit hole - so how to fix that rather than fork out lots of money? I had a look in the decorating box and found a tube of EVO-STICK All Purpose Sealant - it's white but dries translucent. Image E show a good amount being injected behind the seal taking care not to get any near the correct exit point.

Impatiently waiting 24 hours for it to set, I tried the syringe again - and it works!! As evidenced by image F and a load of syringe water.

Hopefully when it does rain it won't now get wet, if it does then out with the sealant again.

Last edited by frostykitty; 05-24-2016 at 03:38 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by frostykitty:
JagNoir (05-23-2016), MediaBobNY (05-23-2016), michaelh (12-30-2021), Truck Graphics (08-14-2017), volkris (10-20-2019)