XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well Now I Know....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Now to figure out the coolant as it lost some during its short overheat. Mine id from Nov 96 and it seems the early ones came with either standard Green or Yellow. They are allegedly chemically compatible from what I can find out. So I guess its gonna get green and later I will flush it and use the yellow most likely as the Orange is only supposed to be for newer model years. The stuff in there looks green and smells just like the old green stuff.

Dave

Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by cjd777
Dave, the tensioners at Advance $19.99, the belt at Gates Micro-V AT K070922 - OEM Quality Serpentine Belt | O'Reilly Auto Parts
They may have the tensioners also, didn't check, they do match price here, if the same part.
Advance and Auto zone were high on the belt and I know you need good parts at the best deal.
SNG may be better prices with our discount. Call them, they are very helpful and fast.

Wayne

Looks like you have a much better Advance Auto there. I just called the one here and they quoted $104.99 for the spring tensioner, $51.04 for the stationary one and $36 for the Gates belt. And to add icing to the cake they can't get any of it until next week.

The local O'Reilly also has no belt in stock, 3 days to get and doesn't carry either tensioner.

So I could get this stuff cheaper online and just as slowly. So basically I will have no car until next week most likely.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 03-31-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:45 AM

Ok it looks like both pulleys are a different diameter so they are not interchangeable. The fixed pulley looks like 3"/76mm.
I need to find out the diameter of the spring pulley as it must be a smaller diameter to fit. I can't measure mine because it disintegrated. If anyone knows this spec or can measure it for me I would be grateful. Dayton, Gates and others make all sorts of pulleys and one store said if I can get them the dimensions they can try and cross reference. This will make a HUGE difference in price as the spring idler assembly is $105 and up and these separate pulleys can be under $20. The rest of the idler assemble is ok and just needs the pulley so why buy the whole thing for lots more money?

Dave

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,292 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Hi Dave,
Sorry you're having a run of Jaguar luck. They (whoever they are) say these things come in threes....

Now, pulleys, etc. - bear in mind that this is for a '98, but I suspect things haven't changed. I've just been and measured the pulleys, and to further cloud things:

I have the tensioner pulley as metal diameter 75mm, and the fixed idler as plastic, 85mm in diameter. Neither has a lip at the edges.

According to Alldata, the idler pulley is part C2C22758, and the tensioner (I'm assuming complete) as NCA7739AE. Their information is foggy as they seem to get the two pulleys conflated: implying that they're the same item - which clearly they're not. Torque figure for the idler bolt is 53-69Nm.

What is clear, though is that the pulley on the tensioner is removable and therefore could be replaced separately. Note that the securing bolt for the tensioner is left-hand thread if you need to remove it completely.

JEPC isn't much use here as the part numbers are shown as superseded

Hope this helps at least a little,
Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 03-31-2015 at 03:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
cjd777 (03-31-2015), DaveInVA (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 04:02 PM

C2C22758 is the same number I came up with. It seems the smaller diameter one (76mm) can be used for both locations. The 97-99 originally had lips and were 82mm for the fixed but they changed to smooth soon after it seems. In fact mine has no lips as they've probably been replaced at least once already.
The Dayco metal replacement for the Fixed one is 76mm instead of the 82mm for the plastic so that implies you can use either. That small a difference probably easily taken up by the spring tensioner swing (I hope).
As Advance does have the 76mm ones in stock here I will see if one will fit on the spring tensioner. If it fits then thats only $40 for 2 to replace both. Nobody here has the belt in stock though. Would be nice to not have to pay over $100 for an entire spring tensioner when all thats needed is the pulley and bearing.

The Dayco part.

Now if only the weather would cooperate. Its nice and 75 but 32 mph gusts and I can't open the hood without getting whacked with it.

The same belt length (92.32") shown for 1997 and 2000 so the same belt is used with both 82 and 76mm pulleys.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 03-31-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Someone once said 'measure twice, cut once'. I've just checked again (with a bigger torch) and the fixed pulley on mine does have a lip on the outer edge so like a **** I included this in the measurement. It's about 3 mm wide so my 85 measurement now becomes max. 79. As the serpentine only wraps around about 30 degrees on this pulley the difference adds about 2.5 mm to the length of the belt for the tensioner to take up.

So, looks like you can use the same pulley in both places, which is what Alldata kind of implies. Given the proximity of the idler to the alternator pulley I guess Jaguar decided the lip was superfluous.

In my defence, m'lud, it was dark and awkward to get at. If anyone knows of a source of good-quality replacement eyeballs I'd be eternally grateful..

Mike

Last edited by michaelh; 03-31-2015 at 05:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by michaelh:
cjd777 (03-31-2015), DaveInVA (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Dave, I have found the belt on a couple of parts places Autopartswarehouse, Partsgeek and Rockauto. Shipping is the issue. I found a listing at NAPA, so that may be a place to check. They all ran below $30, NAPA was a little higher. SNG was a little off, on my computer and I was having some trouble with their site, I think it was my problem.

Wayne

The following users liked this post:
DaveInVA (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 PM

Autozone says they can get me a Gates belt for about $30 in one business day but I still have no way to go get it. They cant get the tensioners. I guess I will order the belt online. I still need to take the tensioner off and verify a 76mm pulley will fit it and then order 2 of them.

Hopefully no 32 mph gusts tomorrow.

Dave

Old 04-01-2015, 01:04 PM

I guess the engineer in charge of making things a pain in the *** to fix must have been off sick the day they laid out the belt tensioner design. Even with one of the cats helping me I had both items off in less than five minutes. Didn't have to remove the fans or anything.
I tried to help a friend do his on a FORD SUV last year and it was so much of a pain we gave up and let a shop do it for $90 labor.
Turns out the "fixed" pulley had already been changed out with a 76mm metal one but I am replacing it anyways because I don't want to do this again anytime soon and the bearing seams to turn much harder than it should.
The spring idler had the plastic pulley and it disintegrated. The bearing is froze solid and when it froze before the belt came off it tightened the bolt so tight I haven't been able to get it out yet. I'll keep working at it as it seems one of those 76mm metal pulleys will fit on it and save some bucks.

Dave

Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

On the road again!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:09 PM

Not quite on the road yet. I still have to get the new parts and I have no other vehicle to get them with even if anyplace did have them in stock locally. I held off ordering the parts until I was sure a 76mm metal pulley will fit on the spring idler. They do not sell a specific replacement pulley for the spring tensioner because they want you to spend $100 plus to buy the entire thing.
So I finally got the left handed bolt off the damn thing. When the bearing seized it tightened that thing up pretty damn good.
I took the 76mm used metal fixed pulley and it DOES fit and unless I am missing something here it should work just fine. These pulleys are only $19.99 at Advance because they fit other cars also. So I will be the guinea pig and test it out with a brand new metal pulley on it. If it works the next time this happens to someone they can fix it quickly and cheaply.

Here is it is with the metal pulley:

Dave

Old 04-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Dave,
Thanks for the close-ups.

I can see 120 bucks in the complete tensioner with pulley. What I can't see is why Jaguar don't make it easy for replacement of the pulley alone. I expect someone's done a risk assessment and decided that the fabric of the tensioner arm will be compromised by the time the pulley explodes, yada yada...
The bearing looks clean and I can't see any sign of it overheating

Once this pans out in the way we all hope it will, I'd suggest the part # goes in the NON-OEM replacements sticky. There's one in there already but that requires a modification to the belt.

I read that the belt replacement interval is 100K miles. Doesn't look as if the same can be said for the bits that keep it taut.

Good luck with the reassembly - is that FoMoCo I see on the pulley?
Mike

Old 04-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Yes thats the fixed one I took off to replace. The Dayco 76mm appears to be the same thing pretty much as this FoMoCo. I just wanted to make sure it would fit on the spring pulley with no obvious problems. I will be replacing both pulleys with the Dayco and they come with new bearings. There may be something not so obvious that will keep this from working but so far it looks like it will work.
The FoMoCo # is 2W93-19A216-RA

The Gates 36270 mentioned in the stickies has lips and was made for a different width belt. If these Dayco pulleys work it should be plug and play (Hopefully).

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 04-01-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 PM

All the parts are on order through Fisher Auto and should be in tonight. In the morning a friend is driving me there to get them. Today is another day to windy to have the hood up so I wouldn't have been able to do anything today even if I had the parts. Tomorrow is supposed to rain but if there is a break in it I will hopefully get this thing back on the road.

Dave

Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

It will take no time to install just need to be sure you know the pattern for the belt or have it in hand.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM

I already printed it out just in case I forget I don't have to run back in the house and look it up again.
I'll have to use a fender washer the appropriate size instead of the washer that came with the spring idler to protect the bearing dust seal as the NOS one is to big to fit in the well of the new idler. Otherwise it all looks good so far.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 12:31 PM

A friend took me to the Auto Parts Store and I picked up the Dayco pulleys and a Dayco belt. I would have preferred a Gates but nobody here could get one til next week.
Installing the pulleys took just minutes. The hard part was getting the Damn belt on. If you do this job borrow a helper for putting the belt back on. A royal pain to do alone. I also had to undo one of the small hoses from the overflow tank to the drivers side of the radiator to get enough swing of the wrench to fully back off the spring tensioner. I was able to reuse the original washer that protects the dust seal on the bearing. I was worried it wouldn't fit but it does.
The good news is that the Dayco pulleys works perfectly as replacements for both pulleys. No more plastic.
I let the car idle for about 15 mins and no funny noises and it came up to what is hopefully "normal" temp. The electric fans never came on but I know they work as they were on when I pulled over after the belt came off when the pulley failed. Guess it just didn't get hot enough in that time.
I also found out when I took one end of that small plastic hose off that there is ORANGE coolant present. I thought you couldn't used orange on pre 2000 because of the gaskets? So now that I have mixed green with it I will have to get it flushed and changed out. Probably needed it anyways. Or it was yellow and adding the green made it look more orange. Looks just like orange Koolaid. Probably tastes better too.
So now I am trying to get up the guts to take it for a test drive.
I will add this Dayco pulley to the Non OEM thread.

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 04-03-2015 at 04:50 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveInVA:
cjd777 (04-03-2015), MRomanik (04-04-2015), rothwell (04-03-2015)