Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the correct alignment specs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,575 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Wait, which ones will wear them out quicker, the values you listed (32/34) or the ones I listed: (32/29)?

the values I listed, copied from my '02 XKR manual, were overinflation in my case, and resulted in the typical overinflation wear where the center 2 or 3 inches of the tread is worn much more than the edges of the tread..

Those values may be just fine for the brand of tires that the car left the factory with, but resulted in the uneven wear when used on the BFG Sport Comp II A/S tires. Also one thing to consider is that these specifications were devised 18 years ago. Tire manufacturers likely change tire compounds more frequently than that. A different compound is going to wear differently, imho.

Z

Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,339 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
the values I listed, copied from my '02 XKR manual, were overinflation in my case, and resulted in the typical overinflation wear where the center 2 or 3 inches of the tread is worn much more than the edges of the tread..

Those values may be just fine for the brand of tires that the car left the factory with, but resulted in the uneven wear when used on the BFG Sport Comp II A/S tires. Also one thing to consider is that these specifications were devised 18 years ago. Tire manufacturers likely change tire compounds more frequently than that. A different compound is going to wear differently, imho.

Z
Oh, I thought Jaguar had gotten it wrong. I had never considered changing tire technologies.

Front: 26 PSI
Rear: 28 PSI
So, did the above values not result in wear on both the inner and outer edges?

I ended up buying the BFG Sport Comp II A/S tires because the quote I had been given for the Michelins did not take into account the 11.5% sales tax which boosted the price by roughly $102 plus mounting fees. The BFGs should make it to PR by next Wednesday or Thursday.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 06-21-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, I thought Jaguar had gotten it wrong. I had never considered changing tire technologies.

Front: 26 PSI
Rear: 28 PSI
So, did the above values not result in wear on both the inner and outer edges?......".
Only have 5,000 miles on the replacements, so far no unusual wear with the lower tire pressures. I don't imagine Jaguar had it wrong, but when you put on a different tire than they did, all bets are off.

Z

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
too much toe in

You won the lottery! It was in fact the toe in. Apparently what happened was that when I changed the tie rod ends, along with lower control arm bushings, shock mounts, and shock bushings, the grease monkey who aligned the car did not correct the toe because he found out this was a "warranty alignment", which meant he wouldn't make a dime on it. The shop informed me he's since been fired because there were quite a few customer complaints for the same thing in the past few months.

The guy who attended me today said "your toe is way off".

The BF-Goodrich G-force Comp 2 are a night and day difference in how the Jag drives. It now grips the road tightly, even in the rain. I had the opportunity of testing the old tires in the wet as well as the new ones with only a couple hours difference today. I love these new tires.

Brutal (06-28-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

".........The BF-Goodrich G-force Comp 2 are a night and day difference in how the Jag drives. It now grips the road tightly, even in the rain. I had the opportunity of testing the old tires in the wet as well as the new ones with only a couple hours difference today. I love these new tires.
I agree with your assessment 100%

Z

Old 06-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You won the lottery! It was in fact the toe in. Apparently what happened was that when I changed the tie rod ends, along with lower control arm bushings, shock mounts, and shock bushings, the grease monkey who aligned the car did not correct the toe because he found out this was a "warranty alignment", which meant he wouldn't make a dime on it. The shop informed me he's since been fired because there were quite a few customer complaints for the same thing in the past few months.

The BF-Goodrich G-force Comp 2 are a night and day difference in how the Jag drives. It now grips the road tightly, even in the rain. I had the opportunity of testing the old tires in the wet as well as the new ones with only a couple hours difference today. I love these new tires.
THE tires ALWAYS tell the truth. I look at tire wear and then the alignment settings before I do anything. Then adjust accordingly.
WARRANTY ALIGNMENT NOT PAID? I get paid for a warranty alignment, and if I didn't I would talk to the customer and explain all is covered but the alignment which you'll need to pay for. I WOULD NEVER SEND A CAR OUT NOT ALIGNED AFTER SUSENSION REPAIRS!

Old 06-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

... the grease monkey who aligned the car did not correct the toe because he found out this was a "warranty alignment", which meant he wouldn't make a dime on it. The shop informed me he's since been fired because there were quite a few customer complaints for the same thing in the past few months.

With an admission like that I would be getting me some reimbursement for cost of replacement tires - or take them to small claims court and get it the hard way.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
THE tires ALWAYS tell the truth. I look at tire wear and then the alignment settings before I do anything. Then adjust accordingly.
WARRANTY ALIGNMENT NOT PAID? I get paid for a warranty alignment, and if I didn't I would talk to the customer and explain all is covered but the alignment which you'll need to pay for. I WOULD NEVER SEND A CAR OUT NOT ALIGNED AFTER SUSENSION REPAIRS!

No no, you see, I had bought a 1 year alignment service from advanced auto a few months ago. That is 1 year that I can go as many times as I want to any advanced auto to get an alignment and not have to pay a dime. Apparently, the company doesn't pay their techs the labor for these alignments.

Rothwell, I would rather not have to deal with any legal battles. I can't afford to pay for a lawyer.

Brutal (07-08-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Do they not have small claims court in P.R. ?

Here in FL for about $100 in court costs you can get in front of a judge for claims up to $2000. No lawyers needed. Just make your case.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
Do they not have small claims court in P.R. ?

Here in FL for about $100 in court costs you can get in front of a judge for claims up to $2000. No lawyers needed. Just make your case.

They do, but I really hate the entire judicial process. I avoid it at all costs.