XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the function of the tubes behind the carpet in the trunk?

Old 06-15-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 924 Likes on 455 Posts
Default What is the function of the tubes behind the carpet in the trunk?

Replaced my battery yesterday (2001 MY), had to reconstitute a battery vent line because there wasn't one there, but while doing, I this noticed a larger tube sitting right next to the battery that went through a grommet into the floor. It was not connected to anything on the other side as in the picture. There was a matching disconnected hose on the left hand side of the trunk behind the carpet. So, I stuck my hand up into the area behind the aluminy looking panel, found a nipple like thing on each side and reattached them. My question is then, what do these do? They look like drain hoses, but not clear what's draining, especially since there appears to have been no consequence to them being disconnected for at least two months, and the dealer had clearly left it out in the rain. Admittedly, I only go out in the rain if I'm out and it starts raining, but there have been extended periods of wetness on the car with no apparent water in the base of the trunk.

Mystery.

Dale

Right hand mystery hose, similar to the one on the left hand side.

Closeup of right hand hose floor grommet.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Answering my own question, Gus's web site says it's the roof drains. Still unclear how the water gets there (through the 'seal' at the back of the top? Around the sides?), but satisfied that's the answer.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Dale

Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default So there is a vent tube on x100?

My 2004 Jag xkr needs a battery replacement. Will there be a vent tube on this model? I didn't see anything about vent tube until the forum. It wasn't in the manual how to change your battery..
Let me know please. If yes, where do you find this hoses and where does it go? Does it just stick outside?
I'm a bit panicking as I've heard it's dangerous not to have it.
Thank you.

Last edited by alexander thegreat; 07-11-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, there is a small grommet near the big tube grommet that is the battery vent tube. This is not the large tubes on both sides originally discussed. The battery vent tube was not in my car when i bought it. Bought Dorman 924-254 Battery Vent Tube, which worked great. Attach to battery at hole near positive terminal, cut tube to length, shoved through grommet venting outside.

Expect 2004 XKR with a typical battery might accommodate a vent tube. Not clear how risky AGM batteries are in the trunk without a vent, but since the vent tube/barb connector is less than $2.50, discussion seems unnecessary.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I installed an AGM battery a year ago and yes, I connected the vent tube just as I had done on the two prior standard batteries....

Old 07-12-2019, 05:45 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

AGM batteries have a vent hole. also make sure to plug the second air vent hole that almost all batteries have on the opposite end as it defeats the purpose of the overboard discharge tube.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Default Thank you all

Much appreciated.
I'm a bit worried as to how to install it out it's missing. Like how far does it to go? Does it need to be done in part from under the car etc
Although I have a bigger concern now. I pulled the emergency parking brake stick it in a parking lot, it felt like it locked then became instantly and completely lose. The brake light went on. I had to move it up and down although it was completely lose, until it touches down which turned off the light. But no resistance at all, I'm worried that it got locked and can't get disengaged now. I'm 10 miles away from home.
Basically the brake stick can move up and down with no force at all, but did the very first time. To unlock you usually press the tip and feel a little force then pull it down. No such a thing. Like it locked when it went up then snapped or something..not sure it's a good idea to drive it home like that.
Arfff....

Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like your handbrake cable make have snapped....

Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Agree with Jon89. OTOH the e-brake is not enabled. You may drive normally.

The ebrake cable runs to the rear underneath the car almost in the center. Just forward of the rear axles the cable terminates in a metal connector that joins the cable I just mentioned to the ebrake cable that runs left/right, each end terminating in each rear wheel's ebrake assembly.

This connection that joins the 2 cables can be easily observed. Let me describe. The front back cable terminates in a threaded rod whose nut is used to adjust the ebrake. The left/right cable is sheathed, but the cable itself is exposed in the center of its run. The rear of the metal connector has a rolled lip that the exposed part of the wheel's cable attaches to. Normal cable/ebrake tension secures the cable in that lip.

You'd be awfully lucky to find that the rear wheels cable somehow worked itself lose from the connector, but looking is free and easy.

You will have to Jack her up and support it, as far as I remember. Maybe someone really thin could get in there, I'll never know :-).

So, I'd check: 1) is that junction connection secure and tight?
2) does it move when your assistant operates the handbrake lever? If no, the cable either snapped internally or its connection to the handbrake lever came lose.

John

Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Default Thank you so much. So,

Originally Posted by Johnken
Agree with Jon89. OTOH the e-brake is not enabled. You may drive normally.

The ebrake cable runs to the rear underneath the car almost in the center. Just forward of the rear axles the cable terminates in a metal connector that joins the cable I just mentioned to the ebrake cable that runs left/right, each end terminating in each rear wheel's ebrake assembly.

This connection that joins the 2 cables can be easily observed. Let me describe. The front back cable terminates in a threaded rod whose nut is used to adjust the ebrake. The left/right cable is sheathed, but the cable itself is exposed in the center of its run. The rear of the metal connector has a rolled lip that the exposed part of the wheel's cable attaches to. Normal cable/ebrake tension secures the cable in that lip.

You'd be awfully lucky to find that the rear wheels cable somehow worked itself lose from the connector, but looking is free and easy.

You will have to Jack her up and support it, as far as I remember. Maybe someone really thin could get in there, I'll never know :-).

So, I'd check: 1) is that junction connection secure and tight?
2) does it move when your assistant operates the handbrake lever? If no, the cable either snapped internally or its connection to the handbrake lever came lose.

John
So, what if I adjust it to give more length, will it then release the rear emergency brakes,?. I'll try to find that adjusting nut..
Thank you again, for your time and help. You guys are awesome!

Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,759 Likes on 12,148 Posts

Agree with Jon89. OTOH the e-brake is not enabled. .....
We're getting way off topic but it needs resolving.

I. PARKING BRAKE
Is this a difference in terminology across the Atlantic - using "e" for "emergency"?

The XK8 doesn't have an e-brake. The parking brake is a fully mechanical system. The later XK does have an e-brake.

Getting back on topic:

2. BATTERY VENT
Here's an OE battery with the Vent Adaptor on the left side connected to the black Vent Pipe which exits through the floor of the luggage compartment.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 07-15-2019 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member

Graham,

"e-brake" is indeed shorthand for "emergency brake" here in the states....

The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
GGG (07-15-2019), Johnken (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:17 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Jon89
Graham,

"e-brake" is indeed shorthand for "emergency brake" here in the states....
Jon,

Thanks for the clarification.

We use "e-brake" for the later electronic parking brake systems operating from a switch through a module and actuator.

Graham

Jon89 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 07:23 AM
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by GGG
We're getting way off topic but it needs resolving.

I. PARKING BRAKE
Is this a difference in terminology across the Atlantic - using "e" for "emergency"?

The XK8 doesn't have an e-brake. The parking brake is a fully mechanical system. The later XK does have an e-brake.

Getting back on topic:

2. BATTERY VENT
Here's an OE battery with the Vent Adaptor on the left side connected to the black Vent Pipe which exits through the floor of the luggage compartment.

Graham
So it's the red hose in the picture right?
I think I found mine, except hose is black.
Is that true we should add water when levels get down ? How can you tell how much water to add? I mean in the case as above in the picture when it's not an agm battery.
Sorry for the confusion btw, I'm the one who misunderstood ebrake as electronic brake. I'm also in the US. Just didn't think it meant emergency but electronic, because of previous experiences in other Jaguars where it was commanded by a button. The release in these cases seemed to be triggered electronically, thus the confusion, my bad. But yes, ebrake didn't prevent driving in the end..but the stick offers no resistance, and didn't stay engaged. The light stayed until I lowered the stick a few time. There was no resistance, so I also thought the cable connection snapped. And also that the light 'brake' went away only because the stick was all the way down and closing the circuit while the cable brake was still engaged. The driving didn't seem to be affected so I guess somehow it must have disengage. No idea how though. Will have to look under the car. Although maybe a good start would be the connection - stick to cable - next to the seat..
Thanks a lot.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

My wife's XK8's battery vent hose is also black in color. From the photos I have seen, the vast majority of them are also black....

Regarding topping up the battery cells, since the mid-1970s I have been filling them up to about one-quarter inch below the bottom rim of each cell hole. You need to leave some space for expansion and sloshing purposes. I check the levels every three or four months, more often during our hot summers. Works for me....

Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Alexander,

You should really start a new thread on the ebrake (aka emergency brake, or parking brake).

Since tension to the ebrake pads is delivered via the lever, I personally can't imagine a situation where cable tension is maintained but the lever rotates freely. The brake pads (ebrake uses pads unlike the normal disc brakes) are sprung released or retracted. The act of engaging the lever pulls on the cable, fights against the springs to extend the ebrake shoes. I imagine there is a latching pawl in the lever's pivot joint.

Lord knows I'm neither a mechanic nor an expert Alexander. What makes you think the ebrake is engaged? Fingers crossed for you that it's an assumption. If I'm wrong, yes you can loosen the ebrake via that nut. If you can bring some kind of powered hex nut wrench. Just because it's one of those bolts with many many threads.

Friend if you are not closing this part of the job out, you really should start a new post on this.

John

Old 07-15-2019, 12:46 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by alexander thegreat
So it's the red hose in the picture right? ......

NO - it was the only photo I could find showing the vent adapter. The red "hose" is actually a cable below the black vent pipe. The vent pipe can be seen curling down to the left like a reverse "?".

Graham

Old 07-15-2019, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Alexander, the fact that you mentioned releasing the brake just hit me. Is it possible that the brake is on an all is functioning normally? I don't know, you may be new with this car. When the brake is on, unlike other cars, the handle lies on the floor and you feel no resistance when you lift it up.

To release the brake, lift the handle all the way up. As you lift further pulling it into the zone of resistance, press the button. The button releases the brake and you will feel resistance as you lower the lever to the floor.

I hope this catches you before you waste any energy fixing something that's not broken.

John

Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Default Shame...shame...shame....pfffff...

Alexander, the fact that you mentioned releasing the brake just hit me. Is it possible that the brake is on an all is functioning normally? I don't know, you may be new with this car. When the brake is on, unlike other cars, the handle lies on the floor and you feel no resistance when you lift it up.

To release the brake, lift the handle all the way up. As you lift further pulling it into the zone of resistance, press the button. The button releases the brake and you will feel resistance as you lower the lever to the floor.

I hope this catches you before you waste any energy fixing something that's not broken.

John
Hey John
You're right I'm new to this car. And I found last night a video
, that says the same thing as you. It's normal. Every car I have ever driven or been in, has the ebrake staying up when engaged. In this car, it just doesn't. So it felt like the cable disconnected from the stick. This whole time I thought there was something wrong...
I feel a bit stupid about that and for panicking too fast! But during this whole experience, you guys were here to help. I discovered a great community here on this forum, doing their best to help out! It's amazing how everybody was supportive, non judgmental, reassuring, and really trying to get to the bottom of it.
I think it's wonderful. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much.

DavidYau (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Oh you're welcome mate. I'm the guy who slipped! Shame on me - should have thought of that 1st. Would have save myself a bit of typing right? -

Well we can both look back on this and laugh (believe there'll be others in the future). Its grand when what could have been a real headache is fixed so easily, right??

Glad we could put our heads together. I LOVE IT!

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the function of the tubes behind the carpet in the trunk?