Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a Machine!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What a Machine!

She keeps going and going.

I realize I must take care of her, but what a machine as the baseline.

I have driven her 2000 miles with low oil pressure at idle and she needs a few other things too.

It's amazing if nothing else.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Only a select group of individuals in the world will get to enjoy a Jaguar.

I got my cat for several reasons"

1.The experience is refreshing EVERY TIME I DRIVE IT.

2.It lowers my blood pressure and attracts a whole lot of attention.

3.The sleek looks are like no other.

4. A 400 HP 400 Torque luxury convertible is simply sick, the acceleration is mind boggling !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by aode06; 11-03-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never driven a car before that

1 came out to parking lot and a young man is taking a picture of it.

2 folks that see it tell my boss I'm being paid too much.

It's a 16 year old car and there are Porsches, Mercedes, , corvettes, and vipers in the parking lot at times. It puts a smile on my face when I drive it!

Old 11-04-2014, 05:09 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Effect of the XK8 in public

I agree totally. Everywhere you go with this car people stop and notice. Its is not a discreet car. The comments you hear when driving down the road in built up areas is quite noticeable. I show mine at car shows and the number of pics taken is quite amazing. Lots of people dont know what this car is and ask. But they just love the way it looks. For the little money spent on the car and having nearly 3 years trouble free motoring (I may regret saying this) this is the best car I have ever owned. I have never glided from A to B in such poise and luxury. Everyone whom has traveled in the car has commented on the the ride comfort and silence apart from when the V8 is worked hard and it just growls with the most beautiful note which is a joy to hear. These cars are brilliant and I know on this forum, its a members forum so problems shared are to help every owner. but once in a while lets say, these are great cars. Great looking cars, great interiors (forget the back seats), great engines and such a lovely place to be when inside one. And finally such a worthy successor to the immortal E-type

The following users liked this post:
reb1999 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

The problem I have taking it out in public is whenever I park it on the far side of a parking lot all by itself so it wont get any door nicks when I return there always a beat up vehicle of some kind parked 2 inches away from it. Yesterday it was a nasty looking contractor truck parked at an angle next to it almost touching the XK8.
I think some people feel if they cant have something "nice" they don't want anyone else to enjoy something nice either,

Dave

Old 11-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree - this is my first Jag -

I wanted something that
1) hauls ***,
2) looks good,
3) and isnt seen at every stop light,
like the camaro, charger, mustang and even vette.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Yup. Almost every time I take her out someone comments on her looks Just last night I was waiting for my wife to come out of Target. A female loaded her car and put the carriage away. On the way back to her car and almost to it she veered and walked directly to me. I rolled down the window and she went on and on about this great looking car for about 5 minutes. The only thing that stopped us from talking was my wife came out.
Love this car.

Last edited by Loxmth; 11-05-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, mine attracts a lot of looks and comments. Recently I had an elderly gent ask what I thought of the handling, which seemed like a slightly odd question. Turned out he used to work at Ford's R&D facility at Dunton (coincidentally where my missus now works) and had had some input to the handling setup many years ago - he said he'd always felt it was too soft and I think that still bugged him!
I've also been complimented on my "Aston Martin" and my "Corvette" - bizarre in the extreme...

Old 11-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveInVA
The problem I have taking it out in public is whenever I park it on the far side of a parking lot all by itself so it wont get any door nicks when I return there always a beat up vehicle of some kind parked 2 inches away from it. Yesterday it was a nasty looking contractor truck parked at an angle next to it almost touching the XK8.
I think some people feel if they cant have something "nice" they don't want anyone else to enjoy something nice either,

Dave
LOL - sounds like me (and the side benefit is the exercise we get from the extra walking). Fortunately there is a plethora of more exotic cars here (rolls-royces, bentleys, astons, ferrari's, maserati's, teslas) - nobody wants to disfigure a 'lousy' Jaguar. And those of us with the later year models don't have the side mouldings to protect us against parking lot dings.

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 11-05-2014 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have to park in a factory carpark on an industrial estate - its pretty much a given that anything parked next to my baby will be a pile of s**t...

Old 11-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

Dave
Same thing happens to me, my wife gets a bit annoyed when I drive around a parking lot looking for the perfect "safe spot". Last week I came out to find a rusted out mini van with a home made camper top parked so close that I had to back out to let my wife get in. while I was inspecting the door for damage the owner of the mini van came up behind me and stated " I didn't hit your precious baby!" I ignored the statement and casually asked "There are 100s of parking spaces closer to the door, why did you choose to park so close to me?" He answered that "this is a free country I can park where ever I like" so I reached into my pocket pulled out my little .25 automatic and shot off his knee cap. Oh wait, that's what I was thinking, I realized he was a moron and let it go. My victory was not letting him ruin my day.

The following 3 users liked this post by Fulton:
DaveInVA (11-05-2014), mjlaris (11-05-2014), PaulCarr (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 08:29 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have thought a couple of times what one of these cars would look with something like
the chrome bumpers off an E-Type ... obv manufactured to fit an XK8 ... am i mad?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I think some people feel if they cant have something "nice" they don't want anyone else to enjoy something nice either.
Dave
..... and I thought that was just a British disease

Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Any of us who own one of these beautiful machines has to "put" up with the daily if not hourly compliments; I have never had an automobile garner so many comments (and that includes some very nice sports cars). And while they're fun to receive, it's my opinion that matters to me, and I just love the thing. I am picking mine up today after a month of not having it due to some undercarriage repairs from running over something on the freeway, and when I saw it, yesterday, I was just overtaken with its beauty (even compared to my 2010 XKR coupe). Like an earlier poster stated, when I wash and detail this car, it is a very relaxing experience, not a chore, but a pleasure.

Attached Thumbnails What a Machine!-dscf0403-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 11-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by millhouse_corfe
i agree totally. Everywhere you go with this car people stop and notice. Its is not a discreet car. The comments you hear when driving down the road in built up areas is quite noticeable. I show mine at car shows and the number of pics taken is quite amazing. Lots of people dont know what this car is and ask. But they just love the way it looks. For the little money spent on the car and having nearly 3 years trouble free motoring (i may regret saying this) this is the best car i have ever owned. I have never glided from a to b in such poise and luxury. Everyone whom has traveled in the car has commented on the the ride comfort and silence apart from when the v8 is worked hard and it just growls with the most beautiful note which is a joy to hear. These cars are brilliant and i know on this forum, its a members forum so problems shared are to help every owner. But once in a while lets say, these are great cars. Great looking cars, great interiors (forget the back seats), great engines and such a lovely place to be when inside one. And finally such a worthy successor to the immortal e-type
ditto

Old 11-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

There's something to be said for class and tradition; Jaguar has both of them. Like many other posters on this thread, I love both the car, and the attention it garners. Driving a car like a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any of the higher end German cars says that you have money, driving a Jaguar says that you have taste.

The following 2 users liked this post by max224:
mjlaris (11-08-2014), PaulCarr (11-06-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Dave

very true, when parking in a supermarket or public car park I will usually drive to the most remote and empty place I can find. At least 2 cars away from the next. If i can park well away from other cars I will. But on return some bugger will park next to me with hundreds of spaces available nearer to the shop or street. When I bought the car its had no dinks on the body at all. I spent hours going over the car looking along the lines for panel fit and tiny dents. There were none. Now there are quite a few all due to car park knocks when I was not in the car. The car is garaged and never parked on a public road. I think some people just dont care or maybe see a nice car that they perceive is out of reach financially and just have a dig when opening their doors

Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dareandgo
She keeps going and going.

I realize I must take care of her, but what a machine as the baseline.

I have driven her 2000 miles with low oil pressure at idle and she needs a few other things too.

It's amazing if nothing else.
Like you I love my Jag. Everything about this car is so nice. You will recall I responded some time ago about the oil pressure issue. I did end up doing the lower end over. New main and rod bearings. They were the cause of my issue. As I noted I went through everything else first. My point is watch her closely, I was lucky and had no crank damage. I have now put more money in my car than I would have wanted too but I'm in for the long haul so that's that. Keep me posted how your doing with her.

Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
There's something to be said for class and tradition; Jaguar has both of them. Like many other posters on this thread, I love both the car, and the attention it garners. Driving a car like a Ferrari, Lamborghini or any of the higher end German cars says that you have money, driving a Jaguar says that you have taste.

Well said. I always say that Mercedes, Audis and BMWs are all great cars but a Jaguar has a soul. There is a lot to be said about tradition and class. Our XK8/Rs have both in spades.

Mark

Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Well I have the 03 XK8 and next to it in the garage.....

Attached Thumbnails What a Machine!-imag1622.jpg   What a Machine!-imag1616.jpg  

Quick Reply: What a Machine!