Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is my car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts
Default What is my car worth?

The time has come for me to sell my 2000 XKR with 55,000 miles. I need some advice as to how much it is worth. Do I sell it as a complete package or do I sell off some of the parts separately such as the hard top or second set of wheels. The car is probably the most modified & possibly fastest X100.

The list of upgrades is so long I am sure I will miss something but here goes:

Engine upgraded to brand new 4.2 lower end
ported cylinder heads
reground cam shafts
heavier valve springs
Nameless Performance track pipes (have stock cats)
Arden Exhaust cat back with center muffler removed & custom X pipe
3.77 LSD differential
Racing Green Speedshift (only one fitted in US)
3.5" custom air intake pipe with K&N cone filter
Pro M Racing custom air flow meter
Kenne Bell Twin Screw 2.9 HO superchareger
Killer Chiller with isolated cooling system & additional pump
Water methanol injection (for additional cooling)
Tomei adjustable fuel pressure regulator
fuel pumps replaced this winter
new a/c compressor
Aluminum: coil covers, oil cap, p/s cap & water caps
polished charge coolers
R Performance steering rack mounts
R Performance shocks front & rear
R Performance front sway bar
switchable steering
Powerflex suspension bushings front & rear
BBS Perseus wheels with Michelin Pilot All Season tires
Arden Sportline wheels with Michelin Pilot sport tires
Arden springs front & rear
Alcon 6 piston front calipers & 4 piston rears (XKR Portfolio)
Wilwood 410mm rotors with custom made hats front drilled & slotted
K40 Radar front & rear with laser & Valentine 1 radar installed in rear view mirror
Xenon headlights from later car
Ipod interface switchable between CD & Ipod
back up camera wired into navigation screen
DVD player wired into navigation screen
boost gauge & supercharger cooling circuit gauges mounted to a pillar post (pillars trimmed in leather)
additional trunk lights with off on switch
aerial cut off switch
Alpine amp to power rear JL Audio subwoofers
Alpine front door speakers
shakers mounted under seats
inclination sensor for alarm
Arden pedals
Victory Edition Carbon fiber dash
custom carbon fiber door panel caps & inserts
Arden shift bezel & shift knob
trunk inner finisher & tail lamp covers done in leather
custom carbon fiber steering wheel
small front cargo net pass side
R Performance sill plates
A posts & header trim covered in leather
visors covered in leather (hand stitched)
rear seat deleted
all interior trim panels covered in leather
dash covered in leather (need to make new defrost outlet trim)
seat runner & seat hinge covers done in carbon fiber
carbon fiber seat belt & door handle trims
Recaro seats redone in all leather including rear seat trims
ashtray cover in carbon fiber
center console covered in leather
arm rest lid in carbon
Paramount Performance stainless trims around a/c vents
Safety Devices roll bar
Arden hardtop (possibly only on in US)
Paramount Performance convt top boot covered in leather (the one Mina copied)
smoked side repeaters
Arden mirrors
Arden side sills
Arden rear bumper/valance
Paragon Performance front bumper
Arden tail lamps (they are blended into the body work)
custom canvas convt top boot cover
Covercraft convt top cover (cover car with top down)
polished aluminum under hood
Hydrographics on trim under hood including cam covers
Paragon Performance strut caps & strut rods in polished aluminum
Paragon Performance front bumper beam
padded hood liner
trunk release button with late style trim

I will post a few photos as well. Please let me know what you think. I am fully aware I will never come close to recouping my money. Thank you in advance.

Name:  006-1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  321.0 KB

Name:  007-3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  002-2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  166.8 KB

Name:  008-3.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  70.3 KB

Name:  059_zpsf762ed9c.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  103.4 KB

Name:  065_zpsfa166949.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  154.3 KB

Last edited by JgaXkr; 04-13-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Dammmmmm is all I can say! Let's see some pic's...

Old 04-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Need to find the right buyer for this car.

My only 2 cents would be to sell at least the extra wheels separately. The hardtop may help the overall sale price, but what do I know?

My question is why sell? Sounds like you have a lot invested in this cat. Time and money both I suspect.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Having been through now 4 Honda Goldwings with lots of upgrades unless you find just exactly the right buyer most of the appearance stuff is lost money. Standard in the motorcycle community is that it has no resale value.

In the Jaguar community it is much the same. Someone may appreciate you efforts and investments but most will not.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Why are you selling? You already know you will lose your shirt if you do....

Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Frankly I would keep the car if at all possible. It is obvious you put lots of time, money, and sweat into something you love. Not only will it be tough to find a buyer to appreciate all the work, but you will likely have regrets shortly after you sold it.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
tberg (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I don't see you getting close to the money you have in it. The car alone is a niche buyer car, then throw in all the stuff you have done to it. May be hard to move. I have no idea what value to assign it. You may want to get it appraised for insur coverage. If they have you covered for a "normal" jag and you got all that into it, they will hammer you on replacement value if you are not insured correctly.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

I usually do not like these threads, they are mostly a way to advertise your car for sale. In your case, you really will need to find the right buyer. I hope someone in this forum does see it and make you a reasonable offer.

What is the book value - original cost plus upgrades (leave out hours you worked)

Old 04-14-2015, 12:46 PM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Talk about upgrades ! Low mileage too. Off the blue book scale for sure.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Yours is one of my favorite on this site. Its not my favorite color, I'm not a fan of carbon fiber, there are other things I would have done differently, but when you put everything together so well, and with such a great attention to detail, it is phenomenal. You have a lot of very rare and unique parts that it would be impossible for someone to recreate your car, for anything short of a ludicrous amount of money. My thought is to keep everything together as a package. It may take a little bit longer to find the right buyer, but when you do, he will pay even more.

This may be a car that would shine at one of the big auctions (Barret Jackson, etc.) There are certainly some big pockets that go there, and I bet one of them would be willing to pony up for a car that is essentially 1 of 1 at this point.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

You have a couple of sane options. 1. keep it, 2. offer it for sale with an 'make me an offer', 3. present it on ebay in an auction format with a RESERVE that you feel that you can live with and see what happens. If your reserve isn't met, then you can relist it and try again...with same reserve or perhaps lowered by some modest amount.

the other replies here are all spot on! Rarely can you recover your upgrade investment. Your car will still earn the market value as most others. Every now & then you will get that response from somebody that just has to have your car and will pay you what you ask.

Your upgrades seem to suggest that you have relatively deep pockets and if that's the case, why not pass the good fortune on to some deserving individual that can otherwise pay the 'market value' of your car and enjoy some good vibrations?!!!

good luck...you're in a somewhat envious position!!!

Stunning XKR!!!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

As others have said, pricing a project like this can be difficult. Personally I would look at it like a hotrod or kit cobra sort of thing, a custom vehicle that has a small but enthusiastic market.

I would sell the car as a complete package that someone can drive away in, so keep the top with the vehicle and sell the wheels and other spare parts separately.

A quick troll of Hemmings has quite a number of resto mods and hot rods in the 30 - $40k-ish range and Superperformance Cobras in the $40 - $80k range.

It's conceivable that the right person might pay $35-40 for your car, but it is hard to know for sure. The idea of getting the vehicle into a high profile auction might be a good one, as those are the sort of buyers with lots of cash and who knows, they just might just fall in love.

OTOH, auctions take a cut, so you might come out ahead to offer it for private sale and wait it out, if you aren't in a big hurry.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

the appearance stuff is worth sweet f.a. the supercharger upgrade should count for a lot though - I would pay extra for that. Ditto the cooling and diff.
Suffice to say though that anybody buying this from you is going to get a massive bargain.
I bet if you paid to put it in storage you'd lose less in the time it took you to realise how much you miss it than you would by selling...

Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

John,

There's an empty space in my toy box... Err garage next to my other same colored Arden car on HRE's due to the recent departure of my 911 turbo.

Let's talk. PM me for contact info.

George.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Another idea is take it to as many car shows and Jaguar Concours events as possible. I had several serious offers for my XK8 but, as several have said, I realized it was more than just a car to me at this point. And until I HAVE to sell it I can't part with it. Mine isn't as modified quite to the extent as yours but visually, it would run a close second!

Old 05-03-2015, 11:05 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I noticed your Ebay lisiting, well done, but it had one serious flaw that killed any potential real bidding. The RESERVE ! That word says to buyers " I want more than market ". It's a Bid Killer if there ever was one. I have been extremely active in the auction market for 45 years, and have enjoyed those $100k plus upsides simply by letting things fly. A reserve will NOT generate enthusiasm like the chance of getting a deal in an absolute auction, which is what you need. EBAY reserved listings are the same get very little attenion except from bottom feeders bidding simply because they know they will not have to pony up and pay.

If you want to relist it, and are afraid to come out short of what you think it's worth, Use the BUY IT NOW function with your ROCK BOTTOM figure and activate make offer. You will see what the market feels like then.

Personally I think the Arden Hard Top should be seperated, it really doesn't enhance the value of the car. Sell off whatever non essentials you have seperately.

I read your posts and feel that you have a real good grip on whay your doing, but outside the forum as on Ebay it's a different story.

You never mentioned a thing about "It's mecanically defect free, or it needs ??? to be road ready? Also I didn't see anything about ECM and associated module programming that may have needed to be addressed. Possibly a note on why the standard compression ratio is still workable with the extra Boost. Most people just pass when the information is not in front of them to give the warm fussy feeling that they are not buying a can of worms.

PS: I love the engine bay but not the tacky decals and stickers.

Good luck with your sale.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I would be interested in the Arden Hard top. No idea what you would want but I would be interested as I have a similar arden style kit on my 2002 XK8.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:43 PM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by rperformance
I noticed your Ebay lisiting, well done, but it had one serious flaw that killed any potential real bidding.
Well, maybe a couple of flaws. Not sure why these 2 sentences appear in the description:

"I need some advice as to how much it is worth. Do I sell it as a complete package or do I sell off some of the parts separately such as the hard top or second set of wheels."

And I'd want to see what the dent in the fender looks like. That certainly detracts from its appearance.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Going by the ebay pictures, either your right front tire is mounted incorrectly or you have the front wheels switched up.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

No idea what it's worth, but worth every penny. It's beautiful.

Quick Reply: What is my car worth?