XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is needed to sell my car in California?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What is needed to sell my car in California?

Long story short my new job is a long commute and I don't want to pay the astronomical gas prices and do a ton of maintenance on my jag, notably the brakes would probably have some problems pretty quick in stop and go traffic. After a week of commuting I already have a slow leak on one of my tires. I need to switch to a cheap car to pay off some credit bills after my 10 months unemployment too. Life happens.

I paid off the car and have the title, specifically because this buyer refused to do her own bank loan.

-Do I need to now get the old lienholder off the title/reissue title before sale to my lined up buyer?

-Can I just sign over the title to the buyer and let her deal with all the transfers here?

- What is all needed, a bill of sale and signed title is all? Do I need a notary public for this process? I did smog it and it passed recently so I've got the certificate for her. Anyone with info on this process would be a great help!!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Any smog test within the last 30 days is valid, after that you need a new one to change title.
If you have the "pink" slip (title) and it is signed by the lien holder, you just need to sign as the registered owner and the buyer should be good to go. I recommend a membership to AAA, the ability to avoid the DMV altogether alone is worth it.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:05 AM

I did the smog 10 days ago so good there. Ok great just meeting her tomorrow at the bank for payment and title transfer, thx

Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like your all set- send her off to AAA and life's good.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dsnyder586
Sounds like your all set- send her off to AAA and life's good.
California smog cert is good for 90 days. If you are meeting her at your bank tha is the lienholder then that's all you need. If you are meeting her at her bank, then you would need to have a title signed off by your lien holder, a smog cert (check) and a bill of sale or transfer (form 262 at your local DMV office). Fill in the miles on the front of the title and the 262, sign the odo statement on both forms and then sign the title and 262. Make copies of everything and keep them on file.

Good luck

Last edited by Tirefriar; 03-21-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
California smog cert is good for 90 days. If you are meeting her at your bank tha is the lienholder then that's all you need. If you are meeting her at her bank, then you would need to have a title signed off by your lien holder, a smog cert (check) and a bill of sale or transfer (form 262 at your local DMV office). Make copies of everything and keep them on file.

Good luck
The title my lien holder sent me has their signature on line two releasing the car to me as of 3/18/13 so I'm good there. I have the DMV bill of sale filled out and ready to go, I've filled out the liability release/notification of transfer to mail to the CA DMV. So just need to sign title with odometer and she can fill out the rest. The bank I paid off is one that only works with dealers that I just went with last year when I got the car from a dealer. We're meeting in a Bank of America so I can deposit her cashiers check immediately. So it should all go smoothly.

-Sadly I'm looking at a used Echo or Corolla from 2000 for my next car. Terrible downgrade but it's a cash purchase and great MPG till I can get my finances built back up!! Good commuters too!!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by artstar
The title my lien holder sent me has their signature on line two releasing the car to me as of 3/18/13 so I'm good there. I have the DMV bill of sale filled out and ready to go, I've filled out the liability release/notification of transfer to mail to the CA DMV. So just need to sign title with odometer and she can fill out the rest. The bank I paid off is one that only works with dealers that I just went with last year when I got the car from a dealer. We're meeting in a Bank of America so I can deposit her cashiers check immediately. So it should all go smoothly.

-Sadly I'm looking at a used Echo or Corolla from 2000 for my next car. Terrible downgrade but it's a cash purchase and great MPG till I can get my finances built back up!! Good commuters too!!
yep, sounds like you are all set!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 AM

hey, as for selling your XK, i feel your pain. i've been in the situations where mind won over heart, but i would get back on the horse every chance i got. hang in there, things will lighten up.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

+1 on what Tire Friar said-

I had an Alfa Spider that I was forced to sell after a down to metal restoration.... It was painful, but I can always replace it if I have the desire.

And TF- thanks for the smog fact check- 3 months sure is better than 1!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM

Thanks to everyone. The sale went well. Hard to see Princess drive away forever. She was one of a kind. A coupe with only 60000 miles in excellent condition. People thought it was NEW. For a 12 year old car it was minty. It's wonderful to not drive an everyday boring car isn't it? It's kind of a finger to the supposed realities of life, to not being like everyone else and being better for it!! It's like my Moms 68 Firebird, she and my Dad STILL talk about it. She sold it for 1000 bucks because she was young and needed the cash but it will always be a high point in her life!! At least I can always remember owning a real exotic in California while I was still relatively young and care free!! I guess that's kinda what life is about.

Attached Thumbnails What is needed to sell my car in California?-3365076_48fbf959-5129-4aee-9d0f-ebe9f3b90ebc.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't forget to fill out, sign, and mail or drop off the release of liability!
Wouldn't want to get dinged for a car you no longer own, nor is registered in your name.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:48 PM

I did the online release of liability on the DMV site, no logins needed and it is for sure received by the DMV with no fees to do it!