XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this switch for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Question What is this switch for?

I just noticed this little switch in an XKR for sale; I think it was a 2004 model year. What feature is this used for? I've never seen it. The car is a coupe, not a convertible.

What is that little switch?

Old 06-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

That looks like and is placed at the location of the roof up/down switch in a convertible. I would guess, being that the car is a coupe, that the PO replaced the plastic tray but could only find the one for the convertible bezel, as the switch looks like it is just sitting in the tray, not connected to anything.

Of course the PO could have added that switch to operate something else like the antenna up/down manual operation mod, and have it retain a factory look by sourcing the tray and switch from a convertible.

Last edited by 03 XKR; 06-04-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but it made me think of this switch that I would dearly love to install in my car

Attached Thumbnails What is this switch for?-img_20160604_104106260.jpg  
Old 06-04-2016, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Taking into account that the rubber insert is missing from the tray, and the "star" shaped gear lever release hole plug is also missing, I would go along with 03 XKRs guess that the previous owner was somewhat less than a perfectionist.
Or ............ it's a roof up/down switch from a convertible re-engineered to do something else ............ ejector seat ??

Old 06-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

The roof up/down switch is a momentary SPDT switch so it's not likely it's attached to anything, at least not that I can think of. Would not work for antennae control. Likely as others have suggested just a replacement coin try from a vert.

Old 06-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Considering the amount of 'action' the shifting shaft has seen, it is apparent from the chipped paint on the shaft, that the PO used the manual shift mode on this vehicle quite extensively. Also the shift bezel appears a bit lack luster and faded, I do not know if it is just the picture quality, but it appears to have suffered from UV exposure at some point (convertible); perhaps the entire bezel, and wood inlay were sourced from a donor convertible.

The switch sits a bit 'wonky' in the 'coin tray' inset, so perhaps it is not connected to anything; just there to provide aesthetic continuity for a factory appearance, and as DevonDavid stated, the PO was less than a perfectionist when it came to this.

However, IMO, the whole setup is 'cluster duck' of different finishes and textures, that would drive me crazy. The subdued or brushed aluminum bezel ring, the shiny plasti-chrome escutcheon ring below the 'leather' wrapped and weird looking shift knob, that looks like someone switched out with some type of aftermarket screw on leather type of knob requiring that hideous escutcheon ring.

Although the buttons function remains a mystery at this time, we should post guesses, and see if BurgXK8 will contact the seller and find out if the button does anything at all, or if it is modded to operate something else on the vehicle.

My guess would be that it is used to operate the antenna up and down manual operation modification, so that 30' antenna does not deploy whenever you listen to a tape or CD; or does absolutely nothing at all.

Any other guesses?

Last edited by 03 XKR; 06-04-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Whoops -

Here is the ad for the car for sale, a pretty clean 2003 XKR coupe at a decent price, given the miles.

One thing I just noticed - that pic of the console does not match the rest of the interior pictures. Somehow that one pic was mixed in with the rest, probably by a careless dealer. The car does not have that god awful leather shifter but retains the original black plastic shifter console ring.

If I didn't already have a 2003 XKR coupe I would give this one a look.

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
My guess would be that it is used to operate the antenna up and down manual operation modification, so that 30' antenna does not deploy whenever you listen to a tape or CD; or does absolutely nothing at all.
I took care of that prehistoric antenna problem by disconnecting it completely. Between Sirius and Pandora, I never listen to regular radio anyway.

The following users liked this post:
03 XKR (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:32 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, That picture does not belong to that car...you can see the seat leather is black, not like the other photos.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:44 PM

QUOTE: "Don't mean to hijack your thread, but it made me think of this switch that I would dearly love to install in my car." END QUOTE.

Yes, I see it's appeal, but only if it actually deployed weapons. I wonder if the radar assembly for my Adaptive CC, can be re-configured to lock onto and target 'obstacles' in my path.

I am glad the picture does not match that vehicle, I shudder to think what the rest of the car looks like judging from the 'upgrades' to the bezel and shifter alone.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:00 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The photo in gwagners post which shows the destruct button is probably not what you would want after all. It does not launch weapons to vaporize the caravan blocking you, it is a self-destruct button from an IFF/SIF control panel from some undetermined aircraft. That is short for Identification Friend or Foe/ Selective Identification Feature, and since one would never want those codes to fall into enemy hands in case of forced landing or capture, you have the ability to cause it to self destruct. There is nothing on the Jag you would need that for. Unless maybe your niece hi-jacked your CD changer and filled it with Justin Beiber discs.

Andy

Old 06-05-2016, 05:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by agd
The photo in gwagners post which shows the destruct button is probably not what you would want after all. It does not launch weapons to vaporize the caravan blocking you, it is a self-destruct button from an IFF/SIF control panel from some undetermined aircraft. That is short for Identification Friend or Foe/ Selective Identification Feature, and since one would never want those codes to fall into enemy hands in case of forced landing or capture, you have the ability to cause it to self destruct. There is nothing on the Jag you would need that for. Unless maybe your niece hi-jacked your CD changer and filled it with Justin Beiber discs.

Andy
Correct. An APX-6 IFF transponder to be specific