XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the lowest cost insurance? USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What's the lowest cost insurance? USA

I've got Progressive and was paying 110 month, but last year I was at one of those intersections that have a dedicated right turn lane and I missed it since it was an area new to me. I simply turned right at the light and of course a bored donut eater on his bike pulled me over.

I didn't have my current car yet. Anyways it went up to 141 a month. Mercury is 138 on a quote. Seems excessive to me, thats all I have on my record. I have not paid this off so I have to get whatever the lender requires I think comprehensive, liability, collision. Any suggestions on cheaper companies?

The following users liked this post:
daomoniker (10-21-2015)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Mine's about the same here in South Florida -- no tickets in a few years and no accidents ever. I have AllSate.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I have min required on my XK8 @ $19/mo. X TYPE is $41/mo for full coverage. These rates include multiple line discounts. I am with State Farm. I have a non cancellation clause that was grandfathered in the policy. I have been with them for over 40 years.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Every case is different - you must shop around if you're looking for the best deal. I was with State Farm for more than 20 years. They gave us the best deal year after year (perfect driving records and credit score) until last year. Then they began to get lazy and greedy. So I shopped around, and Geico blew them away back in March, so I moved our auto policy to them. Moved our home insurance to Geico a week ago when it was due for expiration/renewal, and got even more rebates on our auto insurance premium with Geico. I'm happy right now, but I learned a valuable lesson - shop around at least annually....

Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

I've been with Amica for 14 years. One thing I really like about them is that no matter who answers the phone on their main number, I never have to re-explain myself. They always know the subject of my last call and the status of whatever I'm calling about. I've had claims and they've handled them in my favor every time virtually "no questions asked". I even had a wreck, my fault, that was only minor cosmetic damage but estimates were more than 75% of the value of the 17 year old car. They just wrote me a check for 75% and let me keep it and fix it myself so it still had a clean title which was important to me as I was holding onto the car as a future collectible. I've been with Amica for 12 years and I don't care if they are more expensive, its worth a few hundred dollars to know I'm not going to have any hassles.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Haggerty gave me the best rate. Progressive was almost $1600/yr, clean record. Now paying less than $500/yr on my 2003 XKR convertible

daomoniker (10-21-2015)
Old 05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I've been with Amica for 14 years. One thing I really like about them is that no matter who answers the phone on their main number, I never have to re-explain myself. They always know the subject of my last call and the status of whatever I'm calling about. I've had claims and they've handled them in my favor every time virtually "no questions asked". I even had a wreck, my fault, that was only minor cosmetic damage but estimates were more than 75% of the value of the 17 year old car. They just wrote me a check for 75% and let me keep it and fix it myself so it still had a clean title which was important to me as I was holding onto the car as a future collectible. I've been with Amica for 12 years and I don't care if they are more expensive, its worth a few hundred dollars to know I'm not going to have any hassles.

I am with you. I would rather pay a couple of extra dollars and not get nickeled and dimed to death when I have a claim.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Sqeeter91
Haggerty gave me the best rate. Progressive was almost $1600/yr, clean record. Now paying less than $500/yr on my 2003 XKR convertible
Haggaerty doesn't insure daily drivers do they?

Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Haggaerty doesn't insure daily drivers do they?
I've seen either Haggerty or Grundy advertise on TV like they were getting into the daily driver game. I am curious too, but I have no plans to switch.

If your Jaguar is truely a "toy", then you can save big bucks with a classic/antique policy over the standard insurance 2nd car policy. I have three cars under JC Taylor Antique Auto Insurance. But there are restrictions that really make it impossible to use an antique car for normal transportation, even on weekends. Probably the biggest is that you can't leave the car unattended, i.e., if it gets damaged in a mall parking lot, they will not cover that. You can drive it just for fun, but you can't really go anywhere in it. Still, its a great solution for people like me with more cars than brains.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine's not my daily driver. But I have No restrictions on where or how far I am allowed to go.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

The lowest price is not necessarily the best insurance. Year end and year out, the top rated insurance companies are Amica and USAA.

I have Haggerty collector car insurance on my XK8, but it's not a daily driver. Their insurance is very inexpensive--and based on a specific price.

Have you noticed on your regular auto insurance how the price goes up year after year? The same thing on your homeowners' insurance? Last year, I changed my two houses and car insurance to a competing company @ 60% of the previous premiums. With the internet, insurance companies are really vying for your business, especially if you have a high FICO score and clean driving record. You can also checkout customers' ratings on insurance companies online.

daomoniker (10-21-2015)
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely check around since the internet makes it so easy. One thing about that is that my online quote from Progressive was 110 but when I called them it was like 150! They honored the quote.

I only have car insurance and this is my daily driver. I simply don't believe in loyalty to a corporation they don't have loyalty to you for sure. I had State Farm a few years ago, when I finally did shop around they were 50$ month more than Progressive. It only makes sense to be with State Farm/All State if you have multiple accounts. The other companies mentioned here I'll checkout.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

If you were ever in the military then USAA is definitely the way to go.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:20 PM

nope. should have though was seriously considering the military after high school, my vet grandpa talked me out of it. Then after engineering school I was thinking air force, probably should have done that too! No one's hiring a mechanical engineer in LA are they? I'm here and ready if they are!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Update: Geico was the cheapest of the ones I checked out at 115/month as opposed to Progressives new 141/month and I get 25k liability rather than 5k that Progressive had me at! Easy choice to switch.

Amica was the same price as Progressive @1680/year.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have always found Geico to be more than reasonable to deal with...good choice.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

That is not the question you are really asking.

The question should be who is the best insurance company at paying claims?

My advice comes from the other side having made claims for clients for over 20 years the cheapest insurance is often the worst for paying claims.

A couple of other things to keep in mind...get the highest uninsured coverage you can, it is usually only a bit more for the maximum coverage they have....I always asked my clients how much they thought they were worth....that is what you are insuring when someone with no or minimum coverage T-bones you.

At a minimum it should be $250K

$25K liability is pretty low these days...check the average cost of a new car these days.

Buy the maximum medical pay coverage you can...usually about $25 a year more for $500K....it is cheaper than health insurance coverage and a week in the hospital now books out at more than $100k.

A Million dollar umbrella policy picks up the difference in most coverages and is discounted through your main insurance company for less than a couple of hundred dollars a year.

I agree that USAA was one of the best for paying claims which is really what should be the criteria for picking insurance.....tempting as the low cost versions are.

Insurance is always expensive until the day you need it.

Fly low as my daddy used to say.

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 05-23-2012 at 12:03 AM.
daomoniker (10-22-2015)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 AM

Oh I don't know, in general it's just gambling and I don't want to live my life like an actuary, etc. I'm more of a cup half full and the average insurance is all I need. Most cars are what average of 25k price tag I'd say. I'm pretty confident that most name brand insurance companies are a safe bet.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamjax
A couple of other things to keep in mind...get the highest uninsured coverage you can, it is usually only a bit more for the maximum coverage they have....I always asked my clients how much they thought they were worth....that is what you are insuring when someone with no or minimum coverage T-bones you.
Good advice. Here in Texas, the insurance industry likes to tell us that 25% of drivers are uninsured (its probably higher than that). Even if you believe that statistic, you have to consider that the 25% of people driving around without insurance are the least responsible people on the planet to begin with and thus are many times more likely to hit you than a driver who has insurance.