XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the alternator harness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where is the alternator harness?

Hey All, Just removed and replaced my engine, and upon removing it, i forgot to undo the alternator wiring. As I was pulling the motor out, I noticed a wire loom being pulled, as i went to go take a look, it pulled the pins out of the connector, and I have not been able to find where these wires came from. The loom only had 2 wires, one positive/one negative, and the gauge on the wires are pretty small, The wires pulled out with the pins; and I cannot find where they go back to. If anyone could help, i would greatly appreciate it.
thanks

Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Good day,

Okay, let me get this straight... The wires are not from the alternator, but the same harness? Two wires? Maybe orange/slate and slate/green are the wire colors? They would be the oil pressure switch down by the oil filter and the oil temp sending unit for the computer right next to the pressure switch... Actually, in my schematic the oil temp has two wires and the pressure has just one... So, you have just two wires...

If these are the wire colors (or close), tell me the wire colors and we'll go from there... Oh, what year is yours?

Cheers!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:16 AM

Hey BlueXK8. Thanks for the reply. The wires are directly from the alternator. One end goes to the positive and ground to the alternator itself, and the other end that pulled apart is the end that goes to a harness.....only problem is that I can;t find the harness anywhere.

Imagine you are replacing your alternator, and you undo the bolts that hold the wires to the positive and ground on the actual alternator......My situation is opposite in that those wires were not removed, and those wires pulled from a harness, yet left the wires still bolted to the alternator with the engine out. this harness must be hidden somewhere as it is not visible. If you have a wiring harness, it would be much appreciated.
thanks

Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by xjrwithproblems
Hey BlueXK8. Thanks for the reply. The wires are directly from the alternator. One end goes to the positive and ground to the alternator itself, and the other end that pulled apart is the end that goes to a harness.....only problem is that I can;t find the harness anywhere.

Imagine you are replacing your alternator, and you undo the bolts that hold the wires to the positive and ground on the actual alternator......My situation is opposite in that those wires were not removed, and those wires pulled from a harness, yet left the wires still bolted to the alternator with the engine out. this harness must be hidden somewhere as it is not visible. If you have a wiring harness, it would be much appreciated.
thanks
Ahhhhhhh... Okay... How long are they? This is what I have in my 99 XK8 wiring diagram (which I don't remember where I got it)...

The regulator looks like it has a connector that plugs into it... It has SW (slate/white) and WP (white/purple) colors... These go into the cabin through the main harness at the firewall... There are two other wires that look bolted to the alternator itself... Those are N (brown) and B (black)... The black looks like it breaks off at some point to go to the starter and one to the suppression module... The brown goes directly to the suppression module... These two look like they stay in the engine bay and are probably the wires you need to find a home for... I do not know where the suppression module is as it doesn't specify in the schematic...

Good luck!! Hope this helps!!

Cheers!!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 AM

I think I found the connector... And can see why it is hard to find... The harness for those two wires goes forward to the suppression thingy (technical term!!!)... It is hiding in the pass front tire well... Here are some pics...

This is the (blurry) wire in the center of the image that goes to the tire well...

Name:  PICT3561.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  118.2 KB

Here is the access panel... And it is a PITA to get off...

Name:  PICT3565.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  96.7 KB

Back in there you (hopefully!!) will see this big plastic canister looking thingy with the red connector... If that connector doesn't have wires, I'm gonna bet that is your spot...

Name:  PICT3563.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  74.9 KB

Good luck!!

Cheers!!

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM

WOW, THank you so much for this. I'm going to check it out when i get home from work.....You didn't pull that panel off just to show me that, did you?!

I need to buy you a few beers if you're ever in northern california.

thanks again

Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by xjrwithproblems
WOW, THank you so much for this. I'm going to check it out when i get home from work.....You didn't pull that panel off just to show me that, did you?!

I need to buy you a few beers if you're ever in northern california.

thanks again
Ahhhh, no worries!! Really!! I did actually pull the panel off to see what was hiding behind it... I think I broke a nail doing it too... Well, maybe not that dramatic... But it is good to know for future reference...

Very good... I'm on the other side of the country right now, but will keep that in mind if we decide to take a trip!!

Good luck!!

Cheers!!!