XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the body processor module ? Washers not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default where is the body processor module ? Washers not working

My XK8 has another problem as of today - the windscreen washers have stopped working. When I press the wash button and the wipers wipe, no water squirts. With the lights on, the headlight washers work and squirt OK, so the the stalk button and processor input is OK. The water tank is also full.

So I have found the pump under the wheel arch and with a DVM measured that it is only getting 2v instead of 12v. In fact it's getting 2v all the time, even without the button being pressed which would suggest that the output of the body processor module maybe faulty. There is an intermediate connector in the wiring loom ( LF1 ) and the 2v is there too, so it's not a fault with the wiring local to the pump itself.

So the next step is to check the connection at the body processor module and measure the volts there - but where is it ? I can't seem to locate it in the car, is it easy to get to ? Does anyone have a photo or can give me directions. The manual shows that it's somewhere in the centre of the firewall, but is it inside the car or inside the engine bay ? Is there anything I should be aware of before working there ? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Spuddyo,
Don't know if yours will be the same but try looking under the passenger side fascia around the airbag bracket. That is where mine is.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks, I will have a look for it tomorrow as I want to see it. Anyway I am answering my own post here as I have found the problem and fixed it.

I studied the circuit diagrams/schematics and couldn't understand why something like the washer pump didn't appear to have it's own fuse on the drawing. Eventually I realised that the body Processor Module is split up internally into seperate control areas. Each area of control has it's own 12v supply fed from it's own fuse that feeds that sections various outputs, plus there's a fuse for the processor logic itself.

Fuse 7 in the drivers side fuse board is a 15A fuse which feeds the washer motor and also the gearbox lockout solenoid amongst other stuff. I have seen the light - that's why my gear shift locked out a few days ago - it's the same bl**dy fuse. DOH ! Fuse replaced, all back to normal again.

And that's why I never believe in co-incidences, there is always a good explanation if you look hard enough. If this helps someone else out in teh future, cheers

Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Spuddyo,
Glad to see you have it sorted.
Always pays to check the basics first.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Next (boring) question - why did it blow?