XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why not buy a CA car?

Old 04-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts
Default why not buy a CA car?

I see posts from EU owners showing all the rust in their cars. Why not buy a "rust free" California car and ship it back? Would that cost more than a car plus repairs over there?

And could the Brits convert one cheaper?

Last edited by stevepaa; 04-02-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

It may be an option for EU owners, but the location of the steering wheel is a problem for UK owners. High value rust free California cars are imported as the basis for restorations. These tend to be cars like E Types and Triumph TR's. However, unless they are pampered and well rust proofed they will not remain rust free as we coat our roads with salt at the slightest sign of frost and our moisture levels can be a little on the high side!

On a positive note, our cars don't tend to suffer from sun related issues, such as faded paint, perished rubber, brittle plastic interior trim or damage to timber veneers.

My car needs work to the rear end and I had to replace the rear subframe last year. I think that rather than import a California car I should export a Brit to California!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,756 Likes on 12,145 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I see posts from EU owners showing all the rust in their cars. Why not buy a "rust free" California car and ship it back? Would that cost more than a car plus repairs over there?

And could the Brits convert one cheaper?
Steve,

It sounds such a simple idea until you get to grips with European Union bureaucracy.

A few members have imported to France and then found problems getting EU CoC (Certificate of Conformity) for a US-spec car. They may be LHD and look the same but without Type Approval they can't be imported.

Have a look at this thread from the Europe Region forum for an idea of the frustrations involved in getting an import vehicle registered:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...-france-79182/

Presumably a similar situation applies on importing to the US from Europe?

Graham

Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Steve, It sounds such a simple idea until you get to grips with European Union bureaucracy. A few members have imported to France and then found problems getting EU CoC (Certificate of Conformity) for a US-spec car. They may be LHD and look the same but without Type Approval they can't be imported. Have a look at this thread from the Europe Region forum for an idea of the frustrations involved in getting an import vehicle registered: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...-france-79182/ Presumably a similar situation applies on importing to the US from Europe? Graham

I think a lot of it depends on the state. For instance, I looked into registering a grey market XJS in Illinois that was imported new in 1987. Since it does not comply with US emissions, can't be titled or registered in Illinois even though it's 25+ years old and has been in the country this long. So there's that. Also, I know new Defenders can't be imported to the US for failure to meet US safety specs. Any other car that you try to import now, new or used, has to be federalized and brought up to US safety and emissions specs unless it was built before 1968, I believe. And it's not even possible to bring certain cars up to standard due to fundamental design issues. Also, and new car you try and import can't compete/be the same as any other model currently for sale in the US. I'm sure there's many other restrictions but this should give you can idea of the bureaucracy involved no matter which way you go. US to EU or vice versa.

The following 2 users liked this post by 01Silverstone:
ccfulton (04-02-2014), GGG (04-02-2014)