XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why won't my XKR start after my Wife fills the Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

The last time a woman, or anyone else washed my car was, let's see, 31 minus 8, carry the 4, divide by 3, and the answer is.....never!
She is a keeper, and I mean both the woman and the car.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question Well! Yes and No! It's not the same......

Now, Gentlemen!

Back to the start of this situation! The problem was the Purge Value and where could I find it. David Yau took care of that with the UTube video...Next was where to get a Purge Valve for a 2005 XKR and eBay was suggested....Next, I waited a week or so for it to come from NY or some place....Then, I took out the Wheel Liner and started removing all the connections and finally got my hands on the Purge Valve and guess what? The part I got from NY didn't look like the one in the XKR.....Now after all that, I find that Jaguar changed the Purge Valve during the 2005 model year at a certain VIN and I have the new Purge Valve, not the one they shipped.....Now what? I called the Vendor and hey don't know what I'm talking about....You know "Man you are Nuts, our Book shows the one we sent..." BAH< BAH!
3 Hours later, I discover that Jaguar changed to the Purge Valve that they use in the "S Type" sometime around VIN # so & so....and if you want the correct Purge Valve, you need to order that one......So, now I'm waiting on an "S Type" Purge Valve to come from somewhere so that I can put it in my XKR! What a wonderful day!

I guess this is one of the hazards of buying a Ford/Jaguar....I'm not sure what I have anymore and guess what? They don't stock'em anyway! Hopefully, the part I get will work and I can go another 14 or 15 years without needing another one! it has been over 2 weeks since the Car has been washed!

Billy Clyde out here on the Ranch...…….

Old 03-12-2019, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Been there, done that

i think I can safely say we’ve all been there and done that. It always happens with the hard to reach small bit parts too.

You diagnose the problem and identify the part. you order,wait and get the new part through the post/courier. Then you start disassembly, only to find the new bit doesn’t fit.

Either you screwed up or the supplier did. Doesn’t matter... you’re f£&ked!

Then the decision, do you leave it disassembled and hope the next day delivery really comes tomorrow. As we are all optimists, we go for it, to get the job done quickly. But the next day, nothing!

Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

David,

I learned a long time ago that if you need the Car, put it back together and wait for the Part, as it may be wrong also! Although, I feel pretty confident with this one....As it is coming from Jaguar....

Billy Clyde

Old 03-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Question The Purge Valve Mistery!

Originally Posted by bcprice36
David,

I learned a long time ago that if you need the Car, put it back together and wait for the Part, as it may be wrong also! Although, I feel pretty confident with this one....As it is coming from Jaguar....

Billy Clyde
Gentleman,

You won't believe this: It has been over a month since I started this Purge Valve story.....When I left you Guys I was awaiting delivery of an "S" Type Purge Valve that everyone said was what I needed and when it arrived from Jaguar, I found that it would not fit either.....It was round shaped and the one on my XKR was not, so I had to order another Part Number. ...another week goes by and I find that the 2rd Purge Valve looks Completely different from the first but still didn't look like the one in the Car......So, I find out that Jaguar had changed to a different part about 600 VINs before my Car was built..... and that was the one to order.....OK! were getting somewhere now, so I order that number and wait another week for it to come in! Guess what? It was the right "Part", but the Electric Plug that goes to it is different than the one that came in the Car.....So, I had to order that Part and wait another week before I could finally repair or replace the Purge Valve.....I declare myself an expert at removing and replacing the Right Front Fender Well of a 2005 XKR Coupe! That's 5 times I had to do that...………..

Seriously, Guys! I have found that our Jaguar Dealer's here in Houston don't stock anything for an older XK8/XKR, if you want a part they have to call Dallas or some other Distribution Center...Two of the Dealer's in Houston will not work on anything less than a 2007 XKR....I found that for Parts like the Purge Valve and things such as that, I can get them quicker by ordering through Jaguar Reno....They have a great Website that shows a complete parts list for our Cars … Even they don't have everything but seem to know where to get whatever you need! I've also had some luck with Jerry's....That's where I found the XKR-100 Tread-Plates, that I had tried to find for over a year!.....

If anyone needs a Round Purge Valve for what I'm told is for a 2003 -2004 XKR....I have an extra!

Oh! My Wife took the XKR to the Service Station after I finished working on it Saturday and Filled it up with no problems.....She also Washed it! What a deal!

Billy Clyde

Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default BC - back to normal... after a month!

BC,

it it took a month but at least you’re back to normal. How many of us have received spares that don’t fit?

Good to see the old girl isn’t leaking gas fumes... including the wife!

Old 03-28-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DavidYau
BC,

it it took a month but at least you’re back to normal. How many of us have received spares that don’t fit?

Good to see the old girl isn’t leaking gas fumes... including the wife!
David,

If I continue like this, I might have to open my own Parts Store!!
It seems that every time I have to order a part, Jaguar has super seceded it with a new or different part!

Billy Clyde