S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong Gas Smell after adding Gas to Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong Gas Smell after adding Gas to Tank

We have a Strong Gas Smell after adding Gas to 2005 S Type Jag. We have had it to the Jag. Dealer twice and they replaced the seal. That did not fix the problem. Now they are telling us the Tank needs to be replaced at a cost of $6000. I don't believe that.
I am going to replace the gas cap and see if they does anything.

when we park in Garage, the gas smell is very strong.

What could cause this? Could it be a problem with the gas tank not holding the pressure from somewhere.

ANY IDEAS

Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

There was a recall that may well have been for that and may still be active - see your country's recalls / Search on here.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
There was a recall that may well have been for that and may still be active - see your country's recalls / Search on here.

Here is the information about the fuel tank recall.http://repairpal.com/recall/06V418000.

Get your dealer check to see if your car had its fuel tank changed. If not then you may have the possibility of getting it replaced free of charge as it was safety recall.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts
Default 2005 S-Type Gas Tank Recall Info

Once again, the above esteemed wizards of the JagForum hit the nail on the head.

Go to this U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration page -
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls#vehicle

...Scroll down to where it says "Check your vehicle safety". Immediately below that, click "Also search by NHTSA ID" then enter 06V418000 in the dropbox.

This particular recall notice only applies to 2005 US and Canadian S-Types with VIN#s in the range N05049-N52047. Note that there are links to associated TSBs at the bottom of the notice. It reads, in part...

October 31, 2006 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 06V418000
FUEL TANK SEALS

IF THE AMOUNT OF FUEL IS ABOVE THE FDM, JPM, OR CV APERTURES, FUEL MAY BE DISCHARGED ONTO THE GROUND. FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 06V418000
Manufacturer: JAGUAR CARS LTD
Components: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number of Units Affected: 13,655

Summary:
SOME PASSENGER VEHICLES MAY HAVE FUEL TANKS IN WHICH THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM), JET PUMP MODULE (JPM), AND/OR CLUSTER VALVE (CV) SEALS ARE NOT PROPERLY RETAINED IN THE FUEL TANK. THIS MAY RESULT IN ILLUMINATION OF THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL), OR A FUEL ODOR.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL TANKS TO DETERMINE IF REVISED SEALS MAY BE USED TO REPAIR THE VEHICLE. IF NOT, DEALERS WILL THEN REPLACE THE ENTIRE FUEL TANK ASSEMBLY. DUE TO PROBLEMS IN OBTAINING THE REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS, THE RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 29 THROUGH MARCH 30, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT JAGUAR AT 1-800-452-4827.

Notes:
JAGUAR RECALL NO. R176. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV

1 Affected Product - JAGUAR S-TYPE 2005

Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 AM

I'm having this same problem. Gas tank leaks when I top it off. Strong gas smell. I did the VIN search in the web site as outlined above but it says zero recalls.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM

Jaguar says the recall work was done on my car in 2007 (prev owner). But I'm still having the identical problem described in the recall. Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Received 133 Likes on 125 Posts

First remove the seat and have a look to see if you can see where it is coming from. See if the ring is tight enough but making a tool out of plastic 6 inch drain pipe.

If you do not have this locking ring then.

Go to the local dealer and have them have a look as it may have not been done correctly

Old 08-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JagLover406
I'm having this same problem. Gas tank leaks when I top it off. Strong gas smell. I did the VIN search in the web site as outlined above but it says zero recalls.
I am glad this came up. Having the same problem. If a solution is found, it looks like several of us will be happy.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Jaguar says the recall work was done on my car in 2007 (prev owner). But I'm still having the identical problem described in the recall. Any suggestions?
I had *exactly* the same problem within a month of buying my 2005. Dealer said that Jaguar reported the recall work having been done on my car, but the parts and the entire system did not appear - to the tech looking at the car - to have been touched or replaced. They attempted the following:

- new seal (still leaked)
- new lock ring (still leaked)
- new pumps (still leaked)

What finally worked:
- They flew a tech up from Los Angeles, with an XJR tank and pump, and retrofitted it into my car, with a custom module to interface the pump and other sensors to the car's ECM. This module, designed in Vienna, by Jag engineers, and the tank echange, was provided on Jaguar's dime. I paid nothing for the work, and I got a 1 year warranty.

The reason for the tank swap is that there is no "new old stock" for STR tanks and pumps for my year. There is just nothing left, since there were so few of these cars made. To my knowledge, my car was the prototype for this repair. I talked to the tech who oversaw the work, and he was pretty excited about it.

Caveat: I brought my car back (to a different dealer, closer to my house), and they didn't want to touch the car after finding out it had a "frankenstein" tank and custom ecm adapter module. However, I have a very good local Jag shop who I trust to give me accurate diagnoses.

Ken

Old 09-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KenAdamson
I had *exactly* the same problem within a month of buying my 2005. Dealer said that Jaguar reported the recall work having been done on my car, but the parts and the entire system did not appear - to the tech looking at the car - to have been touched or replaced. They attempted the following:

- new seal (still leaked)
- new lock ring (still leaked)
- new pumps (still leaked)

What finally worked:
- They flew a tech up from Los Angeles, with an XJR tank and pump, and retrofitted it into my car, with a custom module to interface the pump and other sensors to the car's ECM. This module, designed in Vienna, by Jag engineers, and the tank echange, was provided on Jaguar's dime. I paid nothing for the work, and I got a 1 year warranty.

The reason for the tank swap is that there is no "new old stock" for STR tanks and pumps for my year. There is just nothing left, since there were so few of these cars made. To my knowledge, my car was the prototype for this repair. I talked to the tech who oversaw the work, and he was pretty excited about it.

Caveat: I brought my car back (to a different dealer, closer to my house), and they didn't want to touch the car after finding out it had a "frankenstein" tank and custom ecm adapter module. However, I have a very good local Jag shop who I trust to give me accurate diagnoses.

Ken
How long ago was this?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:37 AM

So it sounds like I'm screwed.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:08 AM

I can live with the gas leak. I just won't top it off. But I can't live with the "restricted performance" that keeps popping up

Old 09-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

What code do you have when the RP shows up?

Old 09-01-2017, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I can live with the gas leak. I just won't top it off.
Its not the greatest fix but you should try "Seal-All". It comes in a yellow tube like RTV but it specially formulated for gas leaks. Its great stuff available online or any big box auto parts store.

Back in the old days used to carry a tube of in all our cars up north when gas tanks would get pinhole leaks from the salt. Put a dap on your finger and rub where gas was dripping, yep worked on wet gas surfaces almost immediately!

Old 09-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Its not the greatest fix but you should try "Seal-All". It comes in a yellow tube like RTV but it specially formulated for gas leaks. Its great stuff available online or any big box auto parts store.

Back in the old days used to carry a tube of in all our cars up north when gas tanks would get pinhole leaks from the salt. Put a dap on your finger and rub where gas was dripping, yep worked on wet gas surfaces almost immediately!
Thank you !!!!! There is a second thread on the same topic and I asked the question just yesterday if a sealer existed that can handle contact with gasoline. Your timing is perfect.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I would suggest you call jaguar corporate and ask them to open a case.

My car was repaired under the recall by a previous owner. When my tank started leaking I called Jaguar corporate and after several hickups (case was closed then re-opened several times) they had me take it to a dealer to confirm that the recall repair did not include a tank replacement. Must've been seals only. Short story is I got a brand new tank and fittings from an XF similar to Ken. Paid for by Jaguar.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by David_h
I would suggest you call jaguar corporate and ask them to open a case.

My car was repaired under the recall by a previous owner. When my tank started leaking I called Jaguar corporate and after several hickups (case was closed then re-opened several times) they had me take it to a dealer to confirm that the recall repair did not include a tank replacement. Must've been seals only. Short story is I got a brand new tank and fittings from an XF similar to Ken. Paid for by Jaguar.
I've called them twice now but they won't open a case unless I bring it to a dealer. They insist Jaguar won't pay for the repairs since recall work was already done.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I've called them twice now but they won't open a case unless I bring it to a dealer. They insist Jaguar won't pay for the repairs since recall work was already done.
That is the same message I received.
I took it to the dealer and of course they tried the simple fix first. It took them several tries to find out that it was not going to fix the problem. Each time they sent me home with a smile. Only for me to find out it still leaked. Finally jaguar corporate agreed to open a case. Cost me a couple hundred dollars upfront.