XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window help (Convertible)

Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window help (Convertible)

Ok, I got my new Kat (03 XKR with 7500 miles) and I have a few things going on. The first is the on the passenger window "soft top" the window moves in the window frame with a motion that indicates the rear clamps or whatever is not holding it in place. The question is how do I fix that? I was able to put it up slowly with pressure on the aft portion to get it closed. Unfortunately the guy who sent it to me was either unsure, or unmotivated to do so himself so it showed up off the car-truck a little wet inside. I did the best I could but hope someone has an idea to make sure it doesn't get that wet Kat smell.

Last edited by GS717; 02-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Centre to the XK8/XKR section.

Convertible owners here will be able to advise on fixing the window and how best to dry out your XK8.

Graham

Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Best way to dry out, in my opinion, is to just open the top on a sunny day and leave it outside for a few hours. Just make sure you have some leather cleaner and conditioner handy, you don't want it to crack up and toast itself.

As for the clamps, I'm having a similar problem, although less severe. In my car the window seems to have gone off of its rail or something which knocked the window motor's power supply cable loose. I thought I had to take the window in for fixing. Not quite.
After removing the door panel and inspecting to find the problem I noticed it was a simple fix. Connect the cable. Unfortunately I also had to reposition the window on its rail. Once I did that, the window open and closed fluidly. I adjusted the window (there are a few screws inside the door for that specifically) and all was good.

I do still have a problem that I can't completely open the window (about half an inch is left visible) that I suspect has to do with how I positioned it. The window moves but very minimally, I can shift its position forward and aft laterally with the car for about a few millimeters. I'm not going to deal with it because I managed a nice seal with the window adjustments and I'm not getting any wind noise.

There is a pdf for the window adjustments somewhere here in the forums but I can't find it for the life of me, but here is a youtube video on the subject by our very own ReverendSam.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Could you just clarify - is it the passenger window as per Rev Sam or the little quarter light at the back?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Hmm, I assume he means the passenger window.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Don't know, its the 'soft top' bit that made me wonder - and the quarter lights are notoriously narky.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

If it is the window in the door there are numerous adjustments inside the door if you take off the door card. Height, fore/aft tilt, in/out top/bottom. More info in FAQ section. In my case one bolt was loose making the window stuck.
If it is the aft small quarter window things are more complicated. Again you will find some info in FAQ sction.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the help. It move with a tilt. I think the best way to describe it is that as the window goes up he aft portion rises faster that the forward and it jams. Guess I will need to pull the door panel and get to the window track.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:17 PM

Hi again.

That sounds like the problem I had. I also thought the window had jumped the track. It turned out to be a loose bolt in the fore/aft tilt adjustment. The bolt was sliding back and fore in the adjustment slot. Adjusted the bolt so as the window was parallel with aft quarter window, tightened the nut and problem solved. The bolt is in the middle of the door as far as I remember. You may find some pictures in FAQ section.

Attached Thumbnails Window help (Convertible)-door-tilt.jpg  

Last edited by oyster; 01-31-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I had one recently where the door glass was poorly aligned, and actually was starting to dig into the rubber seal. After removing the door panel for a look at things, I found the regulator assembly was simply loose on the door skin. I aligned the glass correctly, and tightened the bolts. Pretty easy fix on this particular car. Yours may have the same issue.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks guys it was a little of each on the Passenger side. Now the next problem window. The drivers window is supposed to drop sightly on the convertible when either handle is pulled then when the door is shut to r(as we say in the South) rise on up. But it is raising as soon as the handles are released with the door still in the open position. I have tried the resets of putting the window up and down with pauses. But nothing seems to work.Any thought son that?

Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS717
Thanks guys it was a little of each on the Passenger side. Now the next problem window. The drivers window is supposed to drop sightly on the convertible when either handle is pulled then when the door is shut to r(as we say in the South) rise on up. But it is raising as soon as the handles are released with the door still in the open position. I have tried the resets of putting the window up and down with pauses. But nothing seems to work.Any thought son that?

I'm not sure what you mean by pauses and I have had the same issue. What you need to do is hold the window button down and keep holding it. The window will go down and as you still hold it when it stops you will hear a light "churp". Then repeat with holding the button up and keep holding after window is all the way and you again will hear a "churp". You should be ready now and the windows should act normally when you open your doors and top.

Just wanted to make sure you are listening for the "churps"!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member

It's a bad door open microswitch. Lots of threads including
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oswitch-68735/

Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 AM

Hi again.

In addition to the resetting mentioned above,a fully charged battery is a must to make the window drop feature work properly. These cars are very sensitive to low battery voltage. The window motors draw a lot of current and having played with the windows may have lowered the voltage to a point where window memory do not work any more.
In addition to the window problem, low voltage may give you all kind of spurious faults and codes.
Buy yourself an intelligent charger and check the age of your battery. This will save you lot of worries.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Thanks guys I will check the battery and and micro switch. Ive done the reset by holding the window switch a bunch so I was thinking it had to be a micro switch or some other signaling issue with the electronics.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

It is the microswitch. It gets set when the door lock tumbler opens so the BPM knows to keep the window slightly lowered.
Order one (or two) in advance, follow Rev Sam's lock removal video then the thread I posted.
DISCONNECT THE BATTERY unless you already have too many fingers.