XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washers - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Windshield Washers - RESOLVED

A while back when I first got the car I had taken air intake grill off to clean all the crud out that had accumulated in there that was causing the a/c not to blow much when in "outside air" mode.

At that time I hadn't yet tried the windshield washers. I wish I had because the drivers side didn't work and the passenger side had way to much pressure. So I took the wiper arms off again and took the philips head screws out that hold the grill in. Normally there would be 10 of them, 6 by the windshield and 4 towards the engine. The 2 innermost engine side screws on mine were missing and the plastic clips they would have screwed into were gone also. I'm guessing they broke when a previous person took this grill off and never bothered to replace the clips and screws. So after removing the arms and the screws then you have to unhook the 2 "rubber bands" that hold up the 2 water drain tubes. They clip onto little posts on either end of the grill assembly. You don't want to break the rubber bands cause then the drain tubes would just fall down. Stupid concept actually.

There is a main water hose that goes to a "T" and then one hose goes to each arm hose nipple. Except the drivers side has a black fitting that plugs on the hose first on the nipple end of the hose. This tube has a one way ball check valve in it that keeps the pump primed and also keeps water up the hose so you get spray as soon as you hit the button with no wait as if it had to fill the hoses first from the pump. Well you probably already guessed someone had the one way valve in backwards. Washers work great now.

One tip - When putting the arms back on the nuts that hold them need to be VERY tight as the shafts are not splined like many other cars so they will slip on the shaft causing wiper dysfunction if not really tight.

And have a baggie handy to keep all the screws and other parts in while working on it as stuff seems to magically vanish if just set down somewhere on or around the car.

Tip #2 - if you suspect the one way valve is your problem you can actually get to it without removing the arms or the grill by reaching under the grill where the arm nipple is via the brake booster cubby hole. Its plugged into a rubber right angle piece.

Now onto the Cruise Control problem...

Dave

Last edited by DaveInVA; 10-01-2014 at 07:48 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DaveInVA:
ant1830 (10-21-2014), cjd777 (10-01-2014), davspear (10-02-2014), Jag#4 (10-01-2014)