XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields: factory vs aftermarket quality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshields: factory vs aftermarket quality?

Hello

I'm ready to replace my 2001 XK's windshield, having used the forum's help to determine which version I need. The current glass reads XXX Triplex laminated E11 43R - 00005 (if you like decoding things like that, see TRIPLEX - Autostikli, Autostiklu serviss - Marking of the car window glasses). So it looks like that's the original glass.

Has anyone replaced their windshield with aftermarket glass, and what is your opinion of the quality? What manufacturer did you get? Any distortions or other issues?

Thanks

PS: The car came with a pitted windshield so this won't be covered by insurance. It's just difficult to see when the sun is low in the sky ahead.

Attached Thumbnails Windshields: factory vs aftermarket quality?-jaguar-xk8-_dsc9042001-windshield.jpg  
Old 03-28-2011, 11:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I'm not suggesting that you do anything illegal, but if you wait long enough you're bound to have a rock fly off of a gravel truck and hit your windshield. The windshields on these cars cost something like $900. When I got my car it had a small chip in it. I was going to have it replaced thinking it would set me back $300 or so. But when I priced it I was blown away by the cost. So I drove around with that irritating chip for about 8 months until finally a rock hit my windshield on a drive back from Florida. When it first happened I was like But a little later when I realized I only had a $100 deductible I was like

Originally Posted by Johnny Tundra
Hello

I'm ready to replace my 2001 XK's windshield, having used the forum's help to determine which version I need. The current glass reads XXX Triplex laminated E11 43R - 00005 (if you like decoding things like that, see TRIPLEX - Autostikli, Autostiklu serviss - Marking of the car window glasses). So it looks like that's the original glass.

Has anyone replaced their windshield with aftermarket glass, and what is your opinion of the quality? What manufacturer did you get? Any distortions or other issues?

Thanks

PS: The car came with a pitted windshield so this won't be covered by insurance. It's just difficult to see when the sun is low in the sky ahead.

The following users liked this post:
jacobmstein (08-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Oh, by the way, apparently replacing these windshields is a pain in the *** for the windshield people. It's held in with clips that are destroyed when removing it, and if it has been replaced before, there's a good chance that the previous installer did it incorrectly and glued the trim pieces to the window. If that's the case then the trim pieces will be destroyed when they are removed. If it is covered by insurance then replacing the trim won't cost you anything. If you're paying out of pocket then they cost about $200 each (there are two of them). Add that to the $900 windshield.

Now that I wrote all of that, I just did a google search to find out how much a windshield is for a 2001 coupe. I found this website that shows the price for the glass only, no installation, for $177. What's scary, though, is that they didn't ask any of the normal questions, like "does it have a rain sensor? Does it have a headlight sensor? Does it have a heated windshield?" etc. Makes me wonder if it is legit.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

This is pretty subjective, but when shopping for my own replacement, I looked at an XK8 with a PPG windshield and it just looked somehow, well, wrong. The logo is placed center top or center bottom as I recall, not the same spot as the Triplex. Also there was something different about the field of dots around the perimeter of the glass, but I couldn't tell you exactly how it was different.

If memory serves, I could have saved about $250 going PPG, apples-to-apples comparison, i.e. tinted with rain sensing.

Wasn't worth it to me, but that's just me. BTW, I'm told PPG glass now comes from China (not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but who knows).

Good luck,

Old 03-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing I'd most like to avoid is the funhouse mirror effect. My first car was an 80s Trans-Am (ooh, confessions) and looking through its compound-curved rear window would make the size, shape, and apparent closeness of objects change wildly.

BTW, a few weeks ago I saw a driver closely tailgating a shedding gravel truck, and thought "man, you can't see anything there, very dangerous, at minimum you'll get a rock in your windshield... " and then realized he was claim-hunting.

Rev: I'll see if the vendors know that they need to order those clips and report back.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

The thing I'd most like to avoid is the funhouse mirror effect. My first car was an 80s Trans-Am (ooh, confessions) and looking through its compound-curved rear window would make the size, shape, and apparent closeness of objects change wildly.
Interesting. It's kinda off-topic, but the rear window in my XK8 Vert gives me a "funhouse mirror effect" along a horizontal warp. I find it slightly irritating for such an otherwise fine machine, but I only have to deal with it in the Winter.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Interesting. It's kinda off-topic, but the rear window in my XK8 Vert gives me a "funhouse mirror effect" along a horizontal warp. I find it slightly irritating for such an otherwise fine machine, but I only have to deal with it in the Winter.
It does not have an applied tint film, does it? My windows were tinted when I bought my car, and I had to remove the rear window tint because it distorted so badly, mostly by being laminated over the defroster wires.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing windshield

Hej all,

I have a question concerning this type of windshield, I bought our 1992 Jaguar XJ6 in Florida in 2002 and shipped it to Sweden, its a great running car without much problems but last winter we had an enourmous amount of snow coming down from our roof *I confess I parked it in a stupid spot*, it hit the windshield and totally demolished it. The numbers on the windshield are the same as the TS mentioned: XXX triplex laminated E11 43R-00005 DOT 17-M 473-AS1.

Is this just a number that all these windshields have, or is it specific to certain Jaguar models? I have found a replacement but its of a later model, 1995 XJ6 and I am not sure if it will fit. The car is not a common model here in Sweden and and it having an American vin nr. doesnt make it easier to figure out stuff. The guy selling the replacement cant give me any answer. I am hoping one of you can.

Thanks in advance;-)

Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My car's windshield was replaced by the previous owner with one from PPG, and as near as I can tell, it's perfect: No distortions, looks original.

John

Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of good info here, one thing tho is if it cost you several hundred to replace your windshield you can always run a claim on it.

Dallas Auto Glass
11670 Denton Dr
Dallas
(214) 872-1933

Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pls., help find replaement windscreen glass

Hi all,

my windscreen glass has a growing crack, I'm looking for a replacement. There is written on the glass: XXX triplex laminated E11 43R-00005 DOT 17-M 473-AS1
What is the part number? What aftermarket grass corresponds to that?
(All I was able to find are tinted versions, but I think mine has no tint)

many thanks.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I called around for price quotes. Range varied, lots. Settled on offer of $240 all in. No heater, no rain sensor.

Part#? Try the SNG Barrett catalog.

John

Old 08-25-2019, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

A majority of our windshields were made by Pilkington. You may want to contact them....

Old 08-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Received 136 Likes on 76 Posts

One suggestion, when your windshield is out check out your defroster vents. They tend to start to rattle and they are hard to fix with the window on but simple to evaluate and possibly fix with the window out. If they are loose at all just add some clear silicon to avoid them from becoming to loose.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:46 AM
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Many thanks for your replies. I try to find Pilkington dealer here in Europe and see what is the price. For the jag. part number, I've tried SNG Barratt, etc., but all the models I found there are tinted ...

scottatl : Indeed, both vents are loose, I tried to fix them previously with limited success. My plan is to ask one of those companies, that come with a van and can do the job in the parking lot, to come to my home - twice ;-)
First to remove the old glass, then I'll do some repairs, and second time to install the new one. I'll try if I can pay extra for the two trips, but only once for the work (after all they are installing only one glass).

cheers.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

My buddy has a glass company that deals in windshields. When my XJ8 windshield was cracked he refused to replace it with anything but a real Jag windshield. He said don't waste your money because you will have nothing but problems. It took 2 weeks to get one from up Narth...... and cost $900....

Old 09-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought 2 windsheilds for a 62 dodge window made in mexico and an 80's Chrysler made in china {ugh}.who'd of thought made in mexico is a good thing as opposed to the latter.